Metal lathe purchase - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Metal Lathes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Metal lathe purchase

Hi, I may have the opportunity to buy a

GRIZZLY G0768 8"x 16" Metal Lathe with some tooling included for $900. I'm not sure what tooling just yet but the lathe looks to be in nice condition.

This looks like a decent deal but I'm wondering if anyone knows much about that model, or if there are other lathes I should consider. I don't completely know what I want to do with a metal lathe but I want to get something that is fairly robust without spending a ton of money.

Thanks for any information you might be able to give.

Edit: The lathe comes with 4"3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks, 6 3/4" faceplate, steady rest & follow rest, 4-way turret tool post, MT #2& #3 dead centers, and set of cutting tools.

Last edited by Wagner11; 03-11-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Wagner11 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2019, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 222

I have never used one. But looked it up. Some things I noticed looking at the photo and listing are first the price $1250.00 + $99.00 shipping. A few things I like are the Locking lever on the tail stock, Forward/Reverse control knob on the front of the control panel, variable speed read out. Quick impression is a good buy. One thing you might want to do, is get a quick change tool holder set. $100-$200 on ebay. Also might want some indexable carbide cutting tools. I like those. I don't have to sharpen them. Here is a link to it:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...ed-Lathe/G0768

I would buy it. Where do you live in Indiana?

Last edited by Dalecamino; 03-11-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: insert link
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 75

The accessories that you list all come with a new lathe purchase, except perhaps the set of cutting tools. . You will need to buy a MT2 live center. . The 4-jaw chuck is very nice to have right from the beginning like this. . I assume it is the 4-jaw scroll chuck and not the independent jaws. . I use the 4" 4-jaw scroll chuck all the time and find it extremely useful for pen turning ... more useful than a 3-jaw, especially for rounding blanks and drilling ... your blanks start roughly square so you can partially round them (if you like) and then grip them in the 4-jaw for drilling without having to round them completely.

The current new price is around $1200, so the price you are getting is reasonable for a second-hand lathe in nice condition.

I don't think you will ever regret buying a metal lathe. . You will be sure to find many uses for it and you might even get to using it all the time like I do. . The top speed will be lower than for a wood lathe but you get use to that. . For most acrylics you don't want high speed anyway.

I don't know this particular model. . I think it probably is made by the Sieg factory in mainland China. . I have one of theirs in a smaller size (7" x 14") which I have been using for about 9 years as my sole lathe for pen making and I have made about 1500 pens on it. . It is still working very well, and perfectly adequate for pens.
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 38

It has metal gears and hand wheels too. Looks nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Old 03-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Thank you guys for the feedback. Looking like I should have talked the wife in to it first though. So we will see how it goes either way but I an determined to own a metal lathe this year.

Oh and chuck I'm in Shelbyville Iniana.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Wagner11 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads