Metal lathe parting question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

Alright, so I have my new metal lathe up and running and have done a little turning on some projects and I'm really digging the precision. I picked up a quick change tool post on Ebay and it really makes things nice. My question is with a parting tool. The quick change post came with a parting tool holder, and with a 1/2" tall parting tool in it, I can't adjust the cutting tip anywhere near the center of the work piece. It just doesn't go that low. The tool holder is bottomed out and it's still too high. My other cutters are fine. They are the small cutters from HF that have the small triangular carbide tips on them. The parting tool holder wouldn't adjust down far enough to hold onto a small 1/4" tall parting tool, and I don't even know if they make them that small. I haven't seen any that small and wouldn't think a parting tool that small would have enough backbone anyways. I know pictures would help, but based on what I've said, have any of you had a similar issue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Check to see if the tool holder that you bought is the corect size for your lathe. They come in different sizes as to accomodate for this difference in spindle hieght. I suspect that you bought too large of a tool holder for your lathe. There should be markings on the tool holder ( something like AXA-150, AXA-250 ). What does yours say? I use the AXA-250 for my big 10/27 lathe. Yours should be smaller, like the AXA-150.

Hendu3270

Check to see if the tool holder that you bought is the corect size for your lathe. They come in different sizes as to accomodate for this difference in spindle hieght. I suspect that you bought too large of a tool holder for your lathe. There should be markings on the tool holder ( something like AXA-150, AXA-250 ). What does yours say? I use the AXA-250 for my big 10/27 lathe. Yours should be smaller, like the AXA-150.

It stated it was for a 6"-9" swing lathe but it's the 250. I wonder if I can slope the front of the parting tool downward to meet the centerline.

This is the one I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111306005354?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_2138wt_1020

plantman

Chris: I would grind down your 1/2" parting tool until you reach the centerline of your lathe. This will give you the strength of a 1/2" tool and the height you need. Jim S

Hendu3270

Chris: I would grind down your 1/2" parting tool until you reach the centerline of your lathe. This will give you the strength of a 1/2" tool and the height you need. Jim S

My inexperience with metal lathes, and all that goes with them, wasn't sure if that is an acceptable practice. That's what I'll do. Thanks Jim, I appreciate it.

I did go back and see they DO have a smaller tool post for my lathe. I just bought the wrong one.

Hendu3270

Send it back for the correct one

I know it sounds highly odd, but I HATE returning things. Even it were to just go to the customer service area in Walmart. I really, really dislike it. Packing up this tool post, and mailing it back just doesn't appeal to me at all. Especially since I would be without a tool post while it was all getting sorted out. I like the "beefy-ness" of this post as well and think I've used it enough now that a smaller one wouldn't feel as solid. This may all just be in my head though.

Janster

..seems to me you do not have it adjusted correctly. IF all the parts work in the set, this too should work? Make sure the holder all the down on the post and that the holder also is adjusted to the lowest level. Good luck......Jan

Hendu3270

Chris, does your tool holder look like this? The blade is what you should have in this holder. NOT the 1/4" tools.

Cut-Off Tool Holder and HSS Blade - LittleMachineShop.com=

Nope. This is what I have...

Quick Change Tool Post Set, Tormach 0XA - LittleMachineShop.com

With one exception. You can see the parting tool holder, (in the link above)....On mine, the bottom edge of the holder (where the parting tool would rest), mine is angle upward I believe. I'll take a pic at lunch. I just noticed the difference when I went to copy this link.

Last edited:

Hendu3270

Ok, here's a pic of what I have. If this holder didn't angle the tool up, and the tool stayed flat on the holder, it would be about right.

Attachments

• 20140604_120220.jpg
    20140604_120220.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 252

Haynie

Call me weird but I have never used a parting tool on my metal lathe. I've just used a hacksaw. If I am in a hurry I use an air powered cut off tool.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You need to use one of the other holders with the blade type parting tool. There are two thicknesses. I don't have this QC set. But, I believe the 001 & 002 are for each blade thickness. These will center the blade for parting.

Hendu3270

Ya know, you guys that have commented on not needing to part on a metal lathe are right. Stepping back and looking at what I'm doing, I can by perfectly fine with cutting it on the bandsaw and facing the cut end. Sort of had blinders on and was focused on getting the parting tool dealt with. I'll end up modifying the tool I have, but will just cut and face right now.

Thanks guys.

randyrls

Chris; You may be able to get just the parting tool holder from Chris at LMS. He is a great guy to deal with. Call and ask. Other suppliers like Enco and MSC will likely have the holder by itself.

JTisher

Just a thought but can you put the blade upside down, crank the cross slide all the way out (away), set to center height and part from the back?

A lot of people do mods for that and say it adds rigidity.

Joe

frank123

It's easy enough to just grind a regular HSS 5/16 or 3/8 toolbit (whatever you normally use with your lathe) into a parting bit and do your parting with it in up to about an inch or so diameter (which is most likely the largest sized stock you'll be parting on a regular basis.

Mounting the blade upside down and parting with the lathe running in reverse will make parting with a regular parting blade easier for most all parting work, assuming your tool holder will allow for centering the tip this way.

Hacksawing and facing on longer barstock is easy enough and avoids the necessity of changing over to a parting bit as long as the piece you are working with is of a length that lends itself to chucking up solidly (i.e. easy for a four inch long part but a bit impractical for, say, a .397 long spacer or .0625 thick washer).

Paul in OKC

I'd go for grinding the tool down, keeping the top surface 'parallel' as you grind, until a bit below center so you can extend it out a bit if need be. I like parting off on the lathe myself. Haven't used my little metal lathe yet, but do it all the time on the big ones.

ironman123

You can buy third party tool holders for the 1/2" blade that will let it sit horizontal. I got mine from CDCO Machinery. They are not expensive. I use my parting tool a lot for making grooves. My unit is AXA. It is on a 9X20 metal lathe.

Ray

Scrollsawer61

I agree with Rich, sort out you parting tool holder and learn to use it. You will not reg regret it further down the track.

Barry.

Top Bottom