Metal lathe opinions and help...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

Alright guys, After a long decision making process, (a few months), I decided to go with a metal lathe instead of upgrading my wood lathe. I'm doing fine with the wood lathe I currently have and know how to overcome any short comings it has. Soooo, I ordered the Grizzly 7x14 metal lathe a couple of weeks ago and was told it was on backorder and would be available May 16th (today) for shipment. The cost of this lathe is what I can handle right now ($800 total shipped). This morning I was told it is now expected to be available June 27th. I'm not waiting for this anymore. I'm now looking at other options for a metal lathe of this size. So ALL these 7" lathes are made in China? Even the Grizzly lathes? I've sort of shy'd away from getting the Harbor Freight 7x12 because I figured the Grizzly was better, but this is based on pretty much nothing. I'm just really irritated right now and looking for any options some of you guys may have to offer I guess.

I liked the idea of the extra 2" of the Grizzly but I guess if I were to go with the HF 12", I would still have enough extra to justify getting the quick release tool post. What about the setup of the HF model as compared to the setup of the Grizzly? Is the HF model gonna drive me crazy trying to get it turning accuratley as compared to the Grizzly (or another brand), or are all metal lathes needing some intense adjusting to get it dialed in?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

I don't know enough about metal lathes to answer your questions. However, I do know that sometimes a company will help you out when the model you want continues to be unavailable. Did you contact Grizzly and ask if they could sell you the next model up at a discounted price, due to their inventory problems? Its worth trying.

I have heard that the Grizzly lathes are more robust and longer-lasting than the HF lathes, which are more designed for light duty. Furthermore, I have seen HF lathes in the store that look as if they are dipped in some kind of goop to keep them from rusting. This would be a significant cleaning chore to get rid of all of this. I hope this helps, as I am sure that others with more experience will add their knowledge.

Hendu3270

That was the first thing I tried. They said they don't offer discounts on machines because of backordered products and I could subscribe to their email list for any upcoming sales.

Dick Mahany

Chris all of the 7x mini lathes are made in China. Most come from Sieg, however there are 1 or 2 others who make them. They are nearly identical with only small differences.

Check out mini-lathe dot com or little machine shop as both are extensive resources for information. I have a Cummins (now defunct) 7x12 and looks identical to the Griz or HF except for color. It has its limitations, but is a very useful tool for what it is.

BTW.........Amazon shows 8 Grizzlys (7x12) in stock for $850.

Last edited:

Hendu3270

Dick,

The Grizzly lathe I was looking at was their new 7" x 14". It was 695. With shipping it was $808. This was an appealing deal costwise and with the extra 2".

I'm assuming Baileigh is one of the ones NOT from China?

Last edited:

Dick Mahany

That Grizzly 7x14 is quite nice. I really like the speed indicator, quick lock tail stock and that it comes with the 3" 3-jaw chuck. Maybe worth the wait for that price.

I would be quite surprised if any do not come from China. To the best of my knowledge, I don't think any are even made in Taiwan, but I could be wrong.

Hendu3270

Yeah, waiting for things is not one of my strong traits. I don't forsee needing to turn anything "big" and I'm starting to think the HF 7x12 (with 20% coupon) is only 439. With that I'd be able to swing a couple of accessories. Do both of these units (HF and Grizzly) take a considerable amount of effort out of the box to become an accurate turning machine?

Last edited:

Dick Mahany

The 7x12 mini lathes all come with LOTS of cosmolene and need a thorough cleaning with kerosene or mineral spirits. Mine was pretty well aligned and ready to turn out of the box, however mine included a 3 jaw chuck.

There are a few good sites that can help you tune the gibs to maximize the accuracy vs ease of feed trade offs.

I added a quick change tool post, extended cross slide travel and cam lock tail stock mods and am happy with the performance. It's great for making bushings as well as many other things. Those lathes will never be a substitute for a larger lathe, but they work well within their limitations.

The biggest challenge for me was to dial out the slop in the carriage and cross slide to eliminate chatter.

Last edited:

ironman123

Yes, they all need some TLC in the beginning. I have a little HF 7 X 10 metal lathe from early 2005 and a HF 9 X 20 metal lathe from the same period. Use the 9 X 20 every day. Had to change belts once and make 1 bushing during that period. Maybe I am lucky but I have lots of HF machinery (milling machine, drill press, tool room grinder, 2 wood lathes, vaccum pump, pressure pot and more) that work great. A few changes here, adjustment there to get them to your liking.

Ray

bruce119

I have 2 mini 7" the way I understand it there all pretty much the same. Except the ones with the better names on them have more bells and whistles add-ons and are tuned a little better...If you get the Harbor Freight it will probably be bare bones and you will have to fine tune it...But it's still the same lathe....

Check out the Yahoo group 7x12minilathe tons of info on there a very good active well moderated group....

Hendu3270

Yes, they all need some TLC in the beginning. I have a little HF 7 X 10 metal lathe from early 2005 and a HF 9 X 20 metal lathe from the same period. Use the 9 X 20 every day. Had to change belts once and make 1 bushing during that period. Maybe I am lucky but I have lots of HF machinery (milling machine, drill press, tool room grinder, 2 wood lathes, vaccum pump, pressure pot and more) that work great. A few changes here, adjustment there to get them to your liking.

Ray

My garage is pretty much the same way. Affordable HF equipment that sometimes I need to "tweek" a little. Pretty sure I'll just get the HF 7X12 lathe to safe some cash for now.

BSea

I have a Big Dog 7 X 14. It comes with a 4" 3 jaw chuck where most only come with a 3". It has metal transmission gears, lever locking tail stock, and a VS motor with digital speed readout.

I haven't used it all that much, but from what I've done with it, it works well.

Bocere1

You can get the HF and save some money, I have one. Take the time and strip it, clean it, then get all the upgrades from LMS and it will do fine as long as you remember it's a small machine. I didn't see it mentioned but if I was looking for another mini this is the one I would get. Big Dog Metal Works - Big Dog Metal Works

low_48

Dick,

The Grizzly lathe I was looking at was their new 7" x 14". It was 695. With shipping it was $808. This was an appealing deal costwise and with the extra 2".

I'm assuming Baileigh is one of the ones NOT from China?

I'm sure that Baileigh machines come from the exact same factories as Grizzly, just different paint. They used to have this statement on their website, but had to do a search to find it.

Where is Baileigh Industrial products made?
They are made in our manufacturing plants all over the world. We currently have plants in USA, Portugal, Italy, Poland, England, Germany, China, and Taiwan

Hendu3270

Just a quick update....(don't look down on me), But I decided to save a little money and went with the HF 7X12. With the saved money I was able to go ahead and get a quick release tool holder. Made the decision at the end of day on Friday and when I left work, I went straight to HF to pick it up...ofcourse they didn't have it and said it was an online only item. Did I say I hate waiting earlier? Anyways, they didn't hit me with a huge shipping charge so that's good. Hopefully I'll cleaning her up this next weekend.

Bocere1

Nobody should be looking down on you here, nothing wrong with that lathe or saving money. Hope you used a 25% off coupon on that current sale price. I like LMS but don't be afraid to shop around like at Victor Machinery or "discount_machines" (watch their shipping) on ebay. Here's a good collet chuck ER32 Collet Chuck Fixture A834 | eBay
Also, there's alot of cool stuff at mini-lathe.com and here on what to do with a new mini Arc Euro Trade - C3 Mini-Lathe MEW Article
Have fun.

Hendu3270

Nobody should be looking down on you here, nothing wrong with that lathe or saving money. Hope you used a 25% off coupon on that current sale price. I like LMS but don't be afraid to shop around like at Victor Machinery or "discount_machines" (watch their shipping) on ebay. Here's a good collet chuck ER32 Collet Chuck Fixture A834 | eBay
Also, there's alot of cool stuff at mini-lathe.com and here on what to do with a new mini Arc Euro Trade - C3 Mini-Lathe MEW Article
Have fun.

Yeah, it's really ME looking down on myself for having HF equipment. The prices have just always worked into my finances better. Wish I could afford better equipment, but so far things have worked out.

So that collet chuck fits the HF 7X12 then. I use my collet chuck more than anything on my wood lathe, so I'm definitely needing to be able to use it on the new one.

kovalcik

Please post a quick review once you are up and running. I have been looking at that lathe off and on for a while and would like to see your thoughts.

JTisher

Have fun.

Yeah, it's really ME looking down on myself for having HF equipment. The prices have just always worked into my finances better. Wish I could afford better equipment, but so far things have worked out.

So that collet chuck fits the HF 7X12 then. I use my collet chuck more than anything on my wood lathe, so I'm definitely needing to be able to use it on the new one.

Don't look down on yourself, just look at it like I do. "Harbor Freight sells kits, and when your finished putting your kit together you have a decent machine."
BTW make sure you change the oil in that if it has it. My 4 x 6 band saw still had casting sand in the gear box.

Joe

Top Bottom