Metal lathe hygein

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
So, I own a metal lathe. That's the easy part. Keeping it clean is a different story. (for me anyway) I am guilty of some/most times working till it's late and, getting in a hurry to get to the next part of a pen I'm making. I just don't always take the time to clean it after I use it.

Today I cleaned both of my lathes to get them ready for moving. I was ashamed :eek: I'll hang a sign in my new shop as a reminder :biggrin: I used some mineral spirits to clean the oil and crud off of it, then a coat of synthetic oil I've had. Learned this from Mike Roux (bluwolf) Do you guys have another method that works for you? I'd like to know about it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Attachments

• IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 319

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I still dont see any pictures of lathe abuse. and.......NO Pictures .. it didnt happen......(Hint) It never Happened (hint)

I use my lathes almost every day. I use a light 10w or 3-1 oil for non wear areas. I use Vactra for the ways and a spindle oil for that part. The 3-1 is just a rust preventive on tools and the lathe I use every day for extended protection I coat them with Boshield T9.. Here in Florida where the humidity is 98% most of the time stuff rusts while your working with it. 30w oil will work well for short periods of inactivity but you should cover the lathe to keep it from collecting dust and absorbing it into the oil.

cnirenberg

So Chuck when is the big day? I finally got to set mine up in its new resting place, but there is so many other things do do, I can't get one thing done. Good thread, I'm interested in what others do. I'm going to follow up with Mike on covering it for now until I can get to use it.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I still dont see any pictures of lathe abuse. and.......NO Pictures .. it didnt happen......(Hint) It never Happened (hint)

I use my lathes almost every day. I use a light 10w or 3-1 oil for non wear areas. I use Vactra for the ways and a spindle oil for that part. The 3-1 is just a rust preventive on tools and the lathe I use every day for extended protection I coat them with Boshield T9.. Here in Florida where the humidity is 98% most of the time stuff rusts while your working with it. 30w oil will work well for short periods of inactivity but you should cover the lathe to keep it from collecting dust and absorbing it into the oil.
I don't have any pictures of the abuse but, please believe me, it happened. Thanks for the tips. I have some industrial trash bags that will cover it. I should have some T-9 anyway. 3 in 1 as well.

So Chuck when is the big day? I finally got to set mine up in its new resting place, but there is so many other things do do, I can't get one thing done. Good thread, I'm interested in what others do. I'm going to follow up with Mike on covering it for now until I can get to use it.
Cris, the government shut down delayed everything. My buyer and I both have Rural Development loans. So, it's day to day waiting for them to approve MY sale and, HIS purchase. Glad to hear you managed your move. You'll just have to make time for Cris and, his lathe time.

Re: Metal Lathe Hygine

That's exactly how mine looked....the day I got it!

Larry

no pictures.......... didnt happen............

no pictures.......... didnt happen............
Now you know what a lathe looks like :biggrin: But, ok let's see here

ROTFLMAO!

I'm to the point that if I can still SEE my lathe above the mound of "turning debris", it's clean enough:)
Andy that's pretty much the way it's been :biggrin:

randyrls

Close your eyes and airhose :biggrin:

Brad; Your etched pens are great, but i would never use compressed air. You will just drive the swarf deeper into places where you can't get it out. I have a small "rake". I also put my 9x20 up on 2" (50mm) square steel blocks. This raises it so I can get under it with the rake. I also shop vacuum it our from time to time.

You probably know this, but I'll add it for anyone else reading this thread. NEVER remove metal swarf with your fingers.

Top Bottom