Metal Lathe choices

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

I know there have been many "which Lathe should I buy" posts, and I have searched through them. If I may...one more time.

Grizzly has put the South Bend 8x18 at a very good price, so that is one I would like to consider....second, the LMS 8.5x16 sounds like it is well liked here...and lastly the 8x16 grizzly looks to be nice, and really more in my price range.

Realizing that the LMS has a cross-power feed, that sounds handy....is it a big deal?...also, LMS has a package to include the stand. I must have everything on wheels, would it be difficult to add wheels to it? If I did not use the stand I have a roller stand to put it on, put it would be 8" or so taller than my wood lathes....is that a big deal? At 58 years old, my hopes for growing any more are looking somewhat dim.

My father was a machinist and actually operated a South Bend commerically in his time. He is deceased now, but I have a lot of his stuff, cutters and reamers galore.....is that stuff still usable? It is probably circa 1970's.

If you could give me your opinion and advice, Please.....all opinions appreciated.
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
the 8 x 18 looks like a nice lathe, you might add this one for consideration
PM1127VF Lathe

The thing I like about the Grizzly is the D1-3 spndle mount, That makes changing chucks from 3 to 4 to collet a whole lot easier. The 1 1/8 bore is nice also.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The pm1127 has a longer tailstock travel though about twice the Grizzly 3.5 to 1.75
and a auick change gear box

magpens

I don't have experience with the models of lathes you are considering. I have a 7x14 lathe which is a Chinese knock-off of the Sieg lathe .... very similar in appearance and features to the LMS mini-lathe. I have used this lathe to turn about 700 pens; I don't use a wood lathe.

You mentioned that you need to have your lathe on wheels. My lathe is a bench-top model. I have it on a table (steel legs) which is on a HTC 3000 mobile base adjusted in size to exactly match the spacing of the table legs. The top of the table is 31" off the floor and the lathe is blocked up so that the turning axis is 15" above the table surface.

The lathe weighs only 100 lbs or so. Whatever mobile base you are thinking of using, be careful to ensure that the base is big enough and that the center of gravity of the lathe/base system is such that there is minimal risk of tipping. I guess that is pretty obvious but still worth stating. I think it would be risky to mount wheels on a lathe-manufacturer's stand.

My lathe does not have a power cross-feed and for pen-making I have not needed one. For other projects that might be a handy feature to have.

Don't throw out your Dad's cutters, reamers, etc. Those accessories can probably be used on the lathe you buy.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The 8 x 16 also looks good for the money if its more in your budget. You could build a rolling cabinet for it. I put my 6 x 18 Atlas lathe on a bathroom vanity, Plywood built not chipboard. Took the Toe kick off and put it on casters. Higher is not bad with a metal lathe. THe auto cross feed is nice but you will rarely miss it. If your dad tools are still sharp or in good enough condition to resharpen yes they are still viable.

designer

A friend of mine has the South Bend lathe. I have used it a few times. Very solidly built. Very tight and accurate. There are lots of points to be able to oil it at too. It should last a lifetime with minimal maintenance. Just cleaning and oiling basically. Very nice piece of equipment to say the least.

ChrisN

Just be aware that some of the 8x lathes do not have reversing lead screws. Therefore, you can only cut right-handed threads, and can only power feed towards the headstock (unless you cut on the back of the part in reverse). You may not miss it, but it's something to consider.

low_48

You do know this is not your Father's South Bend, right? Grizzly bought the name in 2009, and you would be buying a machine made in Tawain. Never seen one in person, just thought I should mention it since you referenced back to your Father.

frank123

Generally with a lathe (or other machining tools) with all other things equal, bigger is better than smaller, heavier is better than lighter, and more power is better than less power.

A caveat on weight: with the little 7x machines it doesn't make much difference but those heavier and longer lathes they are in the range of needing to be precision leveled to give the best accuracy and putting them on a wheeled base sort of makes this difficult or impossible. The heavier the machine the more it is prone to bed warpage from poor leveling and bed warpage will cause accuracy to suffer.

Is there any way you can permanently mount to a solid unmoving surface so it doesn't have to be moved around?

moke

Thanks to everyone for their help.
Mredburn: I will certainly consider that lathe and I am sort of leaning to the SB.....never having run a metal lathe maybe I will never miss the power cross feed? I have an older gentleman, that worked with my dad....I hoping to have him show me some things, but I do not want to bug him just yet. He has been retired 15 years or so...Is he going to know what to do with a newer lathe?

Magpens: There has been a HF metal lathe on Craigs list for 300.00...I found it difficult not to buy it! But I really want to get one and stay with it. Thank you for the info on the stands....sounds like I build something "deeper" than I need for stabilty.

Designer, it is nice to talk to someone that has been around that SB...Thank you

ChrisN...so would I miss reversing if I never had it?

Low_48: I never actually saw the lathe...he worked on a number of lathes...laBlond, monarch are the other ones that come to mind. He worked at a defense contractor so we were not allowed on the premises. I have all of his tools, mics, calipers, etc.... My Dad was a really good guy and sometimes I wasn't always the best son.....it just makes me feel good to use his tools, I don't know why.

Frank: I would like nothing better than to have a huge shop, and never move anything, unforunatley that is not possible...the exsisting wall space all have built in's....
some day...right?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Your friend will know what to do. He may have to figure out a few diffenences in knobs etc, kinda like learning where everything is at in a new car you get.
You will not miss the cross feed. Reversing can be important if you need to make threads in either inches or metric and your feed screw is one and not the other. CHeck to make sure which feed screw it has metric or imperial (inch) My new lathe has an Inch threaded lead screw. In order to cut metric threads I dial in the right gear ratio and then engage the 1/2 nuts. That clamps the carriage to the lead screw for movement. When I get to the end of where I want to stop the threads I have to shut off (and use the foot brake) lathe, leave the 1/2nuts clamped, back the cutter out a couple thou, and reverse the lead screw to run the carriage back to the beginning. Turn the cutter back in for a new cut and do it all over.
If you have a lathe with metric lead screw this is not necessary for metric threads, but it will be for standard inch threads. Its not as hard as it sounds, and my lathe is 12 x36 so the brake is necessary to stop the chuck immediately. You can also make up a crank that you put in the spindle that lets you hand crank the spindle to drive the gears and cut threads. Backing up is then just cranking backwards. I know several members have and use the small HF lathes but I dont recommend them unless the price point is the deciding factor.

rherrell

I've had the SB 1018 for 3 years now and I love it.....for what it is.

It's NOT for someone who wants to do a lot of threading, you have to change belts AND pulleys and it's a real pita!

It's also slow, the MAX feed rate is .005" per rev., that's a SUPER FINE finish rate on a big lathe.

The upside is it's accurate and it has a D1-3 spindle which makes changing chucks SUPER easy, about 30 seconds is all it takes.

I bought it because it has a 1" thru bore and a variable speed, I need the 1" bore for making 1" tool posts and the variable speed is, well..HEAVEN!

Here's a couple photos....

001.jpg

002.jpg

Top Bottom