Metal choices for bushings and pen parts? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Metal Lathes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2016, 07:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Metal choices for bushings and pen parts?

Since Online Metals has a coupon code for $20 off shipping, I've decided to pick up a few things for pen turning. ( SCM6B valid 12/20/16 only ) I'd like to get some decent metal for TBC bushings, plus I'd like some stock for making nibs, caps, and bands.

I'm new to metal turning, working on the typical starter: HF 7x10.
Limited research says 12L14 is a good choice for the TBC bushings. Is there something better that's also compatible with my lathe and lack-of skill level?

Pen parts:
I like plain hardware and bands, and most of the kit choices out there aren't really right for my taste.
Is stainless 303 a good choice for visible hardware?
How about one of the aluminum alloys? (Does aluminum hold up well enough for a daily user, or is it too soft?)
Any recommendations for copper or brass? It'll be a while until I get into these two, but it never hurts to look...

Thanks!
Cavediver is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 13

Disclaimer: I have limited machining experience, but a fair amount of material properties experience.

I'd imagine almost any stainless would work for bushings, as long as it's *close* in hardness to your HSS lathe tools. Don't want to nick the bushings while you're turning a pen and end up with a ruined bushing!

Aluminum alloys are quite durable, but more scratch prone than steel. I'd recommend 7075 alu. for just about any part.
AWLogue is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 219

360 Brass

6061 T6 Aluminum

Mike Redburn (mredburn) has Silver
Dalecamino is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 5

303 SS turns better than 304 or 316. I turn 6061 aluminum for pens but it scratches easily. O1 or W1 would make good bushing material if you want to heat treat to keep from cutting them with HSS. I just use cheap carbon steel for making bushings. I turn with a carbide tool and anything it scrapes cuts. If I mess up bushing I have a metal lathe. I can make more. I too have the HF 7 x 10. I did get some titanium and free machining bronze but I haven't turned them yet. Get a rod of 3/4" HDPE when you order to make bushings for sanding and for coating wood with CA. It will save your metal bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys.

I picked up a couple of bars of the 12L14, some acetyl, some UHMW, and a bit of 7075. I've left the stainless and brass for later; we'll see how well I do with the other stuff first!

I've got a collet chuck on my Christmas list, so hopefully Santa will be good to me and I'll be able to start turning bushings before the year is out
Old 12-21-2016, 08:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavediver View Post
Thanks guys.

I picked up a couple of bars of the 12L14, some acetyl, some UHMW, and a bit of 7075. I've left the stainless and brass for later; we'll see how well I do with the other stuff first!

I've got a collet chuck on my Christmas list, so hopefully Santa will be good to me and I'll be able to start turning bushings before the year is out

Is your HF 7 x 10 the metal lathe? If so I use the included 3 jaw chuck for everything. What are you using a collet chuck for? You need to also make a dead center so you can turn between centers. Just put a 60 degree point on a piece of rod and clamp in your chuck.

For bushings I turn the small end first to fit the tube ID. Then turn the section for the OD. Then cut the bushing to length. Reverse in the chuck, face, and center drill.

Danny

Old 12-21-2016, 10:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4dan View Post

Is your HF 7 x 10 the metal lathe? If so I use the included 3 jaw chuck for everything. What are you using a collet chuck for? You need to also make a dead center so you can turn between centers. Just put a 60 degree point on a piece of rod and clamp in your chuck.

For bushings I turn the small end first to fit the tube ID. Then turn the section for the OD. Then cut the bushing to length. Reverse in the chuck, face, and center drill.

Danny
It is indeed.
I bought it used from a local guy. The three jaw that arrived with it was in terrible shape and wouldn't center the work for anything. I bought a four jaw and have had reasonable success with it, but felt the collet chuck would be an easier / better / faster option for lots of things I want to do. (I have one for my wood lathe and absolutely love it. I think it's my most used chuck right now.)

Thanks for describing your process. That's the way I'd envisioned it though I'd love to find a way to do it all without removing and remounting the work (hopefully keeping concentricity errors to a minimum!).

My tailstock is also a little loose which makes drilling a little suspect right now, so I'm likely going to use a center drill in one of my boring bar holders (I have the QCTP from LMS). Not the best solution, but until I take corrective action on that tailstock it's the best plan I've got.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

I will look for the link I used for aligning the head and tail to the bed and to each other. Made a big difference for accuracy. More than I needed for pens. I did find that one of the tightening sockets in the 3 jaw gave much better results than the others and marked it. The 4 jaw should allow you to get it dead on.

There is an adjustment screw on the tail stock toward the front and underneath that allows adjusting the tension.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

I also bored out my 3 jaw to allow 0.735" OD to pass through. I turn blanks between centers to 0.730. This allows me to drill on the lathe and chuck the blank all the way into the chuck. Really helpful for longer bits on the short bed.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

You could face, center drill, turn down to larger OD then turn to the min OD toward the head. You will need a tool ground to allow a right side square shoulder. Then you turn everything without removing. Be sure to use a live center while turning.

Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads