Making BlueWolf Happy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Well Bluewolf was giving Linda a hard time about no photos so I thought now that most of the shop is cleaned up I would show off the new Jet and our shop. Most of it is cleaned up but there are some areas that still need some work. The metal lathe was a real pain in the rear to clean up all the shipping grease off of the bare metal parts. Fortunately we had a bunch of old rags that needed to be tossed so we had the perfect thing to remove the grease.

First is the new Jet. I am really excited about this new addition but it will be a bit before I get the chance to really put it through it's paces. There are several modifications that need to happen first. Thanks to a couple of real great people on here with experience I have been guided in the right direction and the first three MODs should happen in a couple of weeks once all the parts come in.
007.JPG

This first shot shows what the shop looks like when you come in from the door. Overlooking the metal lathe there is a 16-32 drum sander and to the right of that is the old Jet 1024. Behind the jet there is an air compressor next to the dust collector in the corner. Following around the right of the room on the other side of the cabinet saw we have a 6x48 belt sander, then the band saw followed by the two floor drill presses. Next to the drill presses is the router station and then a scroll saw. In the corner begins the cabinetry and work bench followed by Linda's lathe.

013.JPG
014.JPG
016.JPG
018.JPG

Moving a few items a couple of inches have given us a lot more room than we have ever had. It is just amazing for us how much more room we have. I had to chase to dobermans out as they keep wandering around trying to get use to the changes. All in all it has been a very productive weekend.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
That shop has never been used............:biggrin: Are you sure you had to make room? Heck my shop is down to pathways between the stuff.

IPD_Mr

That shop has never been used............:biggrin: Are you sure you had to make room? Heck my shop is down to pathways between the stuff.

That is the way ours was before Friday night. I was just careful and didn't show the other side of the shop that is full of lumber and boxes. :redface:

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
Cool digs Mike! But like they've said already it's too clean! How can you find anything? :wink:

IPD_Mrs

You know, it is useable as is and can be modded after the parts arrive. :rolleyes:

Hey!!! Finish painting that ceiling. That's deplorable!

No it isn't Pete - all that moolah and they don't even send ya a little bitty cutter to use with it :wink:.

Paint? What's that????? Oh .. wait .. hey son ...

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Not having a cutter is NO excuse. I'll bring, by the hardware store, today, a 1/4 x 1/2 x 4" cutoff so you can at least make a ribbon. :handshake: BECAUSE if you don't use it, here's a smiley from Linda!!!:beat-up: :biggrin:

Texatdurango

Wow......... TWO new lathes!

I see in one of the photos that you also got a NEW Jet mini lathe! I think you'll really enjoy using that too, once you get it all set up!

I see it's plugged in, have you fired it up yet? :biggrin:

SDB777

Looks to be as clean as my kitchen:eek:

Thanks for the photo's of the shop. Mine is a complette mess....no photo's to be forthcoming!

Scott

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hey, these pictures make me happy too! :biggrin: I may see myself converting my garage to a shop, and use the shed for a shed.:biggrin: Thanks for the pics. I'll show them to Susanne.:rolleyes:

IPD_Mr

A candle, really.
great shop though. i have to ask, i like the way you have your wood lathe mounted on that tool cabinet. do you find that it shakes when you turn?

Both of our lathes were mounted on the same cabinet and we have both used them this way for some time with no problem!

IPD_Mr

Cool digs Mike! But like they've said already it's too clean! How can you find anything? :wink:

Thanks Randy. Believe me it is much easier to find things now that they are not covered with an inch of sawdust.

Mike, where do you park Linda's car??

In the driveway next to mine. :redface:

Wow......... TWO new lathes!

I see in one of the photos that you also got a NEW Jet mini lathe! I think you'll really enjoy using that too, once you get it all set up!

I see it's plugged in, have you fired it up yet? :biggrin:

George, the two Jet1014VS are old. The one by the red tool cabinet is Linda's, the one by the dust collector was my old one which is sold. There is also Rockler lathe on the floor behind the table saw. I did fire up the new metal lathe and played around changing the belt to get familure with it. Now I just need to get everything level and aligned. :curse:

Hey, these pictures make me happy too! :biggrin: I may see myself converting my garage to a shop, and use the shed for a shed.:biggrin: Thanks for the pics. I'll show them to Susanne.:rolleyes:

I will keep an eye out for your obituary. :eek::biggrin::eek:

A candle, really.
great shop though. i have to ask, i like the way you have your wood lathe mounted on that tool cabinet. do you find that it shakes when you turn?

Let me tell you about the candle......Linda can't stand the smell of WD-40 and I can't stand the smell of Fantastic lemon. The candle really helps and we both love sandlewood.

You know, it is useable as is and can be modded after the parts arrive. :rolleyes:

Hey!!! Finish painting that ceiling. That's deplorable!

ceiling? what ceiling I was too busy looking at all the floor space.

Pete is right we really need to finish the ceiling as that would help with the lighting, but I am loving the floor space too.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Mike: Ref. the one mod we talked about, I can go all the way down to 2-56, if you think that would not be too small!:rolleyes: Now for serious, I have 1/4-20, 1/4 -28, 5/16-18, and 3/8-16 Plus the metrics you know about. I have a few others but they probably would not be in the size range you need. Just got your message. About the tool, I was ragging you. I KNOW THIS IS MONDAY!!!:eek::biggrin:

bluwolf

Congratulations! That sure is purty. Did you order the QCTP yet? How about the turning tools? Don't forget the way oil. Let's see, what else....

Mike

Texatdurango

Congratulations! That sure is purty. Did you order the QCTP yet? How about the turning tools? Don't forget the way oil. Let's see, what else....

Mike

I'm guessing that Mike already knows that he is about to spend as much if not more on tooling, cutters, holders and stuff, than he did on the lathe itself...... but am wondering if Linda knows about the money pit that has just been dug? :eek:

Having been in my new shop for only a year, my wife knew what everything looked like last February. Now when she visits the shop and asks... "where did all that stuff hanging on the wall come from?" I simply say... "Oh, that was in boxes" I didn't specify new or old boxes though! :biggrin:

jd99

Ok now thats as everyone said too clean of a shop. you don't even have to walk sideways to get into it. Here's a shop. :eek:
cramped garage.JPG

Behind everything you see is.
  • Metal lathe
  • Metal Milling machine
  • Wood Lathe
  • Table saw
  • Jointer
  • planer
  • drill press
  • router table
  • couple of work benches
  • band saw
  • dust collection system
  • drop saw (metal cutting)
  • platform lift to work on harley
  • Harley Davidson (I used to have 3 now I'm down to 1; It's for sale if anyone is looking)
  • too many tools to mention. (Accumulation of 25+ years of tool and die stuff, and 45+ years of other stuff wood and mechnic)
  • etc. etc. etc.
I have to pull the cars out, and set up my shop every time I want to do something, 90% of the shop is on wheels.
It's like I play a full size game of Tetris every time I have to put it all away, it all only fits one way. :eek:

All kidding aside good looking shop.:cool:

Last edited:

IPD_Mrs

A candle, really.

Always. I share that space too and have sensitivity to some smells that helps with the. Chemical odors.

IPD_Mr

Mike

I have the four bolt mounting plate on order as well as the tools from LMS. I have not ordered the Phase II yet. I am still waiting to see if you will do the mods for me to mount it. :tongue:

bluwolf

I'd be happy to do it for you. But it sounds like all it is, is drilling and tapping the stud that comes with the QCTP. Seems like a great little project on the new lathe:biggrin:

Mike

IPD_Mr

I'd be happy to do it for you. But it sounds like all it is, is drilling and tapping the stud that comes with the QCTP. Seems like a great little project on the new lathe:biggrin:

Mike

That all depends on who's MOD you look at. Some of them go as far as to mill the sled.

I need to find a way to mount my dial indicator on the sled so that I can true any stock I put in the jaw chuck.

Now to find some parting tools that fit the Phase II which goes on order Tuesday or Wednesday.

rherrell

Mike

That all depends on who's MOD you look at. Some of them go as far as to mill the sled.

I need to find a way to mount my dial indicator on the sled so that I can true any stock I put in the jaw chuck.

Now to find some parting tools that fit the Phase II which goes on order Tuesday or Wednesday.

Here's my solution to that problem, maybe it will give you some ideas....
attachment.php

attachment.php

This is a Phase II AXA QCTP, I believe it's the same size that you need. It's VERY stout and I highly recommend it. Get the WEDGE type.

If your lathe compound is similar to mine then it's not that hard to do, drop me a line if you have any questions, I'll take mine apart and show you what I did.

Attachments

• dial 001.jpg
    dial 001.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 636
  • dial 003.jpg
    dial 003.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Rick: I like that idea. Simple, quite often, equals BEST! It appears to me that that is 1/2" aluminum bar stock? I have an "any-form" magnetic base, but I'm not overly fond of it. This looks good. 1/2" bar, drill, saw, bolt, hexwrench:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Thanks!
Yes, MIKE, I'll make two!!!:handshake: if you like the looks of it. I wil probably be going to WT today. Do you already have a runout gauge?

Mike

Here's my solution to that problem, maybe it will give you some ideas....
attachment.php

attachment.php

This is a Phase II AXA QCTP, I believe it's the same size that you need. It's VERY stout and I highly recommend it. Get the WEDGE type.

If your lathe compound is similar to mine then it's not that hard to do, drop me a line if you have any questions, I'll take mine apart and show you what I did.

jd99

I have a couple of dial indicators, that have a magnetic base attached right to the back of the indicator, I just slap it on what ever tool holder is in my tool post at the time, check the part, pull it off and start cutting don't have to change holders/tool or anything.

I'l try and get some pictures if I can.

Found something like what i have: I also have one that puts the indicator at 90 degrees, but I bought these 40 years ago, and I can't find that one.
http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=2531
480.2531.jpg

Last edited:

rherrell

Rick: I like that idea. Simple, quite often, equals BEST! It appears to me that that is 1/2" aluminum bar stock? I have an "any-form" magnetic base, but I'm not overly fond of it. This looks good. 1/2" bar, drill, saw, bolt, hexwrench:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Thanks!
Yes, MIKE, I'll make two!!!:handshake: if you like the looks of it. I wil probably be going to WT today. Do you already have a runout gauge?

Correctamundo!:biggrin:

IPD_Mr

Yes I do have a runout gauge that I use on the table saw. If you go pick me up an extra so I don't have to change the mount all the time.
Order Number: 1272-0140 :biggrin:

This is getting fun. Thanks Rick for sharing.

jd99

Let me give you a little education on why a magnetic base is a good idea, I cut metal for 30 years professionaly and 45+ total.
One of the factors in turning is repeatability if I rough turn a part and i want to double check my runout I slide the carrage to the right "without moving the cross slide" and slap my magnetic base indicator on the lathe and check the part. Now I have not lost my setting, not changed the backlash in my crossslide lead screw, not moved the cutting tool position in relation to the diameter of the part.
When you want hold tollerances to plus - minus .0005" this makes a big difference.

Lets look at your method to check on the runout of a part I have to remove the tool holder from my tool post and insert the tool holder that holds my dial indicator, now more then likely I would have to move the cross slide to get the indicator in the right position to check my runout.

Now you have just changed the backlash on your cross slide, you also have the chance that when you put your tool holder back in the tool post it could pick up a chip and it sits in the dovetail, all of this will change the position of the tool to the diameter of your part. You dial back to your setting and wonder why what should have been a .020" cut instead you just took .035" off, and your part is undersize.

Like I said I did this for a living holding tollerances of pus-minus .00030" day in and day out.

Just trying to help you out, do it the way you want.

rherrell

Yes I do have a runout gauge that I use on the table saw. If you go pick me up an extra so I don't have to change the mount all the time.
Order Number: 1272-0140 :biggrin:

This is getting fun. Thanks Rick for sharing.

The gauge you see is a SMALL diameter one, the standard one is about 2 1/4" and the one in the photo is 1 5/8", keep that in mind.

rherrell

Let me give you a little education on why a magnetic base is a good idea, I cut metal for 30 years professionaly and 45+ total.
One of the factors in turning is repeatability if I rough turn a part and i want to double check my runout I slide the carrage to the right "without moving the cross slide" and slap my magnetic base indicator on the lathe and check the part. Now I have not lost my setting, not changed the backlash in my crossslide lead screw, not moved the cutting tool position in relation to the diameter of the part.
When you want hold tollerances to plus - minus .0005" this makes a big difference.

Lets look at your method to check on the runout of a part I have to remove the tool holder from my tool post and insert the tool holder that holds my dial indicator, now more then likely I would have to move the cross slide to get the indicator in the right position to check my runout.

Now you have just changed the backlash on your cross slide, you also have the chance that when you put your tool holder back in the tool post it could pick up a chip and it sits in the dovetail, all of this will change the position of the tool to the diameter of your part. You dial back to your setting and wonder why what should have been a .020" cut instead you just took .035" off, and your part is undersize.

Like I said I did this for a living holding tollerances of pus-minus .00030" day in and day out.

Just trying to help you out, do it the way you want.

I agree with everything you said but we're talking penturning, not the precision stuff you're talking about. I imagine most folks will use it like I do, to check the runout on a part one time, before they start any turning. Once I get it right I remove the gauge, never to use it again on the part during turning.

Andrew_K99

One down side to the magnetic base is that you can't easily ensure that you have the gauge pointed at the center axis of the lathe. With a fixed jig you should get more accurate readings.

Just my 2¢

Last edited:

jd99

One down side to the magnetic base is that you can't easily ensure that you have the gauge pointed at the center axis of the lathe. With a fixed jig you should get more accurate readings.

Just my 2¢
That would be a good point but if you figure out the angularity and calculate the dim you are looking at maybe 1 or 2 millionths of an inch, and that would be only if you were looking to read an actual dimension.

What you are more concerned with is run out, not a dim, you should be able to spin the lathe and have the indicator not move at all (perfect senrio) or less then the acceptable TIR your going for, in that case it doesnt matter if you are perfectly tangent to the radius of the part.

You don't use a dial indicator to measure the part on the lathe you use Micrometers, the place to use dial indicators to measure an actual distance is in the inspection room on the surface table. Or you can have a snap gage that has a dial indicator on it to measure a dim but it is still used like a micrometer.

Being truly in line with the axis of the lathe to indicate a part is not that important.

My 5¢

Last edited:

Curly

To add to what Danny has said about dial indicators. With mag bases you can position the indicator tip on any position of the part being checked that suits you. Top, side, or even on the bottom if you like. They are also useful on the other machines you have in your shop. :wink:

jd99

I agree with everything you said but we're talking penturning, not the precision stuff you're talking about. I imagine most folks will use it like I do, to check the runout on a part one time, before they start any turning. Once I get it right I remove the gauge, never to use it again on the part during turning.

Yes but what if you want to turn something other then a pen, and you need to hold a close tollerance, or check run out before you make your final cut. Pulling the cutting tool out then putting it back in then taking the final cut is never a good senerio. DAMHIKT. (which is the whole point of this)

Case in point, I just made TBC Bushings to replace all the mandrel bushing I have, I cut the pilot, and reference diameters in the same chucking so I know that they were concentric to each other, then I fliped the part around and cut it to length, but before I cut the center hole I checked the runout on each one and adjusted accordingly to make sure that the center would be concentric to the other two diameters.
I know I know might be over kill, but I like doing stuff so I know its right.

Texatdurango

"When you want hold tollerances to plus - minus .0005" this makes a big difference."

"tollerances of pus-minus .00030" day in and day out"

"1 or 2 millionths of an inch"

Good Grief! is all this really necessary?

Perhaps this explains why I lost a pen sale last month. The customer LOVED the pen, how it looked and was impressed with the nice skip-free wet line of ink the nib layed down BUT.....The lower pen barrel was .0000000000000000000001mm out of round and the customer felt it as soon as he ran his fingers across the body! Darn, I knew I should have dialed my lathe in better! :mad: I need all new equipment!

Personally, I'd like to hear more about the mods Mike is planning on doing (along with good sources to buy specialty tools) than worrying if he can hold 1 tenth of a billion of an inch tolerance or not!

Top Bottom