Made the Leap....again!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well a couple years ago I said I was giving it up...penturning that is. My advice to those that decide to do this is "DON'T SELL YOUR STUFF:mad:!". I got rid of my metal lathe along with all of the tooling. Earlier this year I started to get the itch again and before you know it I was looking all over for a lathe. The one I sold was a Grizzly 7X12. It was a nice lathe, but I needed a few more inches (no jokes) on the bed length so I didn't have to keep taking the tail stock off when doing certain things. Last week I found out I was getting a bonus at work and low and behold a new lathe is on the way.

This time I went with the Big Dog Metal works 7X14 (Big Dog Metal Works - Big Dog Metal Works). It comes stock with a 4" chuck over the 3". It also comes with a drill chuck, cam lock tail stock (my knuckles are happy) and some other feathures I liked over the grizzly and others I looked at. I don't have a ton of space or I would have liked to go even longer, but for a little over $700 I am excited about the lathe and can't wait for it to get here.:biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

Keith,

Welcome back to the pen turning world and congrats on the new lathe. I'm not familar with Big Dog Metal Works, but I'm sure it will give you good service. Now that you have the lathe, you will need a milling machine. Don't ask me why, it is just a natural progression. You know the old saying "It didn't happen without pictures" so let us see some pics of the new play purty.

Ben

I wasn't familiar with Big Dog either until I started reading reviews on the LMS website. It looks as if the machine is a little more sturdy than some of it's counterparts. So far everything I have read about it and watched on you tube has been outstanding. Now I just need to learn how to use it :)

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
My advice to those that decide to do this is "DON'T SELL YOUR STUFF:mad:!".

iagree1.gif

For some reason it cost a big heap more when you try to replace your stuff.

Welcome Back Keith .

Islander

Metal verses timber

Hi guys

Just a stupid question. Why a metal lathe and not a timber lathe. Wood turning. I bought a Vicmark for $2300 Australian. Metal lathe $700. Huge difference. OK, I wanted the best for presission so got the Vicmark 150. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Roger, and welcome. Personally, I have both types of lathes, but for making kitless pens, I like the accuracy of the metal lathe, and doing the work for me. I'm lazy!:biggrin:

Top Bottom