looking for a small metal lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DME72

i am looking to buy a small metal lathe.mostly to turn aluminum,brass and maybe some stainless.i have tapped and threaded alum. on my mini lathe with a taig die holder and taps.my shop is not that large in the basement so i am looking for a smaller metal lathe.i have been watching the online sources and local stuff but have yet to get one.i am not a big fan of all this electronic speed control etc.i currently have a mini wood lathe,older carba-tec that serves me well.i also have a 3jaw, 4 jaw,and a beall collet chuck that fit my lathe,3/4 16 thread.i have looked at the taig lathe but have yet to find anyone who has ever used one.most of the stuff i would be turning will be under 1 inch,maybe 3-5 inches long.mostly alum. to start out maybe stainless too.does anybody on here have any recommendations.i have turned some stuff on a metal lathe mostly bushings and stuff at work.would like to get info etc. from people on here as far as what is a good metal lathe and what to stay away from.:eek:

thanks
DME72

DOUG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
THe atlas 618. or the craftsman model 3950, The sherline lathes are ok for that size.

DME72

what is a good price on an atlas 618?i have been watching and they are all over the place on prices,from $600 to $1500 or more.i know a lot depends on what comes with it,shape it is in etc.

DME72
doug

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
around 5 to 600 with gear set, no busted handles you wont need the steady or follower rest, both 3 and 4 jaw chucks. Parts are available but can add up fast. I would try for the 618 rather than the 3950 version. Earlier models have a 1x8 threaded spindle and the later models 3950 have a 1 x 10. The earlier models also have longer drill capacity on the tailstock. The one thats for sale on Ebay now at 1800 is a bad joke. If you get one stripped down. Gear sets are 125.00+ handles are 40.00+ chucks are 100.00 sometimes more. Shars.com has chucks under or at $100.00 Atlas made the Craftsman 101 version but not the 109 version.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
By the way the sherline has a 3/4 -16 spindle thread. I have had the Unimat sl1000 the taig lathe, a south bend and at the moment 3 atlas lathes and a Sherline. The Sherline is good for small metal work.

Top Bottom