Looking at a few lathes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

I am thinking of getting a metal lathe. I have reviewed many of the threads in this forum. Almost tooo much information for a beginner. And, I am a beginner, never used a metal lathe. Want to try my hand at some kit less work, threading, nibs, etc. Wish I was closer to some of you that metal experience. Could certainly use a lesson or two.
Read the excellent thread - Which Lathe to Pick?
Any thoughts on the following lathes? I seem to keep coming back to these on the selection process. Budget in the $1k range plus some extras.

Little Machine Shop - HiTorque 4100 7x12
Micro Mark 7x16 (was 7x14)

Also need some ideas on the extras to get with the lathe.
Tool holder, die holder, tap guide, etc.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Is there a reason you think you need a metal lathe to do kitless work??? All of my pens are made on a Jet mini wood lathe with one woodturning tool. You probably have all you need other than taps and dies which you listed above:)

Timebandit

Fair enough :) I would go with the Micromark for the simple fact that its 16" rather than 12". You are going to have some troubles on the 12 lathe bed. once you get a drill chuck in there and then a drill bit you ill be lucky if you can put a 2-3" blank in there.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
John, I have the MicroMark 7x14 wish I had a 16" for more working room but, mine works just fine (so far) I really like this lathe. I won't try to recommend the best lathe to buy because, I've only used two. The other one belongs to Mike Roux and, it is a beauty. Way more than $1K though. Since you listed 3 tools to start with, it sounds like you have a good idea of some stuff we use. Get some good taps & dies. A lot of us use the sizes that are used in(some) kit pens. I'll let the other guys take it from here.

I'm glad you have an interest in metal lathes. They are fun and interesting. Don't be discouraged by comments from the wood lathe community. You're about to embark on a very exciting journey. Best of luck!:wink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom