Little Machine Shop Sieg C3 - Page 3 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Metal Lathes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I will say I am impressed at what is done on these little machines, by people with little or no background in metal work. I have been a machinist for 40 years now, and the technical side of my brain over rules the artistic side all the time and locks up! I am an over thinker. I will say since I have made two kitless pens finally I will be doing more on the metal lathe!

Romans 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..........
Paul in OKC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2017, 12:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

I use lube for Steel, sometimes I use a bottle applying a couple of drops or I can brush it on. The cutting oil from the plumbing dept for black pipe works well enough.
There are special inserts that cut aluminum really cut cleanly with little or no lube but you should use some lube to keep the aluminum from melting on bonding to the tip of the cutting tool or insert. Regular cutting oil, Trans Fluid is another, Brass 360 requires no lube for cutting.

As far as the lathe, an Er 32 (or larger) collet chuck is probably the #1 accessory (with collets of course.) A decent Quick Change post is nice. A set of changeable insert tool holders. THere are several different shapes, the triangles are the most common for the smaller lathes but I find the 55 degree diamond style better for me. A boring bar or boring set is also a good investment. Drilling is a good way to start a hole but not the best for a finished one. A good repeatable Drill chuck and a long nosed live center are really handy. I like the cnc profiled live centers. They allow you to get closer to smaller diameter work, that makes life a lot easier.
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #23 (permalink)

Photos: 41

I agree with Charley above ....

... go for the LMS Hi-Torque lathe for the extra $300

I would buy the Hi-Torque instead of the Sieg C3 if I had it to do again.

Phone LMS and ask to talk to Chris who is extremely nice to talk to and can give you the complete and valuable advice that you need.

magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2017, 06:54 AM   #24 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan iron designs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithbyrd View Post
You all have given some great responses! I really appreciate it - I am moving forward with the gift from my wife.
I won't even try to respond to each persons post just say Thank you to ALL of you!
We are in the process of selling our house and moving to PA in the next month or two - pray for my house to sell! But with this move it will probably be 2-3 months before I actually get to use it!
Where in PA if close to oxford or reading you can visit my shop in north east MD.
I will be moving to the York, PA area. I will reach out and plan a visit! Thanks!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:48 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default Very Useful Metal Working Mini-Lathe Website etc.

Just though I would post this for the benefit of folks interested in owning a mini metal working lathe. Lots of useful information here:

mini-lathe.com home page

Mini Lathe Tuning

Sieg Machine Tool Factory

This information may be available elsewhere on IAP but no harm in putting it here also.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:06 PM   #26 (permalink)

Photos: 3

Thanks for the info Mal. Do you know what the difference is between all those Sieg lathes and the lathes that Precision Matthews sells? It's so hard to figure out.
Old 06-14-2017, 08:48 PM   #27 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I have my mini for about 12 years, it took about 6 years to convince myself I needed the quick change tool post. That was the best thing that I added to the tooling arsenal.

I use ATF for cutting and cooling fluid and sometimes I mix it 50/50 with kerosene. A retired machinist suggested both. But my brain balks at using the kerosene mix, so it ot use very often.
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #28 (permalink)

Lewis .... sorry I don't know the differences, and not very familiar with Precision Matthews

Dogcatcher .... which QCTP do you have ?

The most useful accessory I have purchased is a 4" 4-jaw chuck (not independent jaws).

Last edited by magpens; 06-14-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #29 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I had a C3 lathe, that was given to me by my brother (the Indian giver) till he wanted it back. I couldn't load it into boxes quick enough.
I had nothing but trouble with it, the gears inside are plastic, uses the same gears as the X2 mill, another piece of rubbish.
I went through about 4 sets of gears, 5 drive belts, 4 motor pulleys, 2 motors, 2 driven pulleys, a circuit board, and that much patience, it sent me nuts.
Even though I was using it very gently, no matter what I did it was apart more often than it was used.
Kryn
Old 06-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBs Pensnmore View Post
I had a C3 lathe, that was given to me by my brother (the Indian giver) till he wanted it back. I couldn't load it into boxes quick enough.
I had nothing but trouble with it, the gears inside are plastic, uses the same gears as the X2 mill, another piece of rubbish.
I went through about 4 sets of gears, 5 drive belts, 4 motor pulleys, 2 motors, 2 driven pulleys, a circuit board, and that much patience, it sent me nuts.
Even though I was using it very gently, no matter what I did it was apart more often than it was used.
Kryn
That sucks! IF I had that much problem with a lathe, I think it might add a year to my life by giving it back. Giving it back might be a blessing in disguise! Live long and prosper!

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads