Little Machine Shop HiTorque 8.5x20 Deluxe Bench Lathe vs. PM-1022

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobS

Full disclosure, I'm on the fence.
Between the HiTorque 8.5x20 Deluxe Bench Lathe BY Little Machine Shop (LMS) and the Precision Mathews PM-1022

I've been running a Harbor Freight, and my 4-jaw chuck and ER-32 collets can be transferred over to the LMS. LMS is also 80 miles away.

The PM will not directly run my ER-32 collets, so I would need some type of adapter, it does come with a 3 and 4 jaw chuck. The PM has a low end of 50 prm, LMS is 100.

Thoughts? Space is an issue, I only have a width of 60" and a depth of about 22" to work with. Thus the main reason for the choice between these 2.

Yes this is for kitless. I do own the triple start tap and die sets. I do want to make some left handed piston fillers.

RobS

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Of the two I would go the PM-1022 because the spindle bore is a little bigger and the chuck is easier to swap. If you can swing the extra, their next lathe up has a Camlock chuck mounting system which is the quicker and easier.

bmachin

The LMS 8.5x20 lathes have a 4 inch diameter spindle nose compared to a 3 inch on the 7x's, so you will need to either buy or make adaptor plates to keep your 4 jaw and collet chuck. If you go with the PM you will need either a dedicated ER32 chuck or blank adaptor plate. Precision Matthews sells spare back plates for $69.

What Pete said.

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

RobS

The LMS 4 jaw included an adapter for both, it's awesome ;) and the adapter for the ER32 IS $30.

Unfortunately the PM1228 OR PM1127 are too deep. ~26"

RobS

Mea Culpa.

Bill

Haha, no worries. It was still good advice. You were just looking out making sure I did my homework. :biggrin:

***I'm assuming there are a lot of guys here who are going to vote for the PM-1022 OR 1030. If you do, please chime in with your tips/words of wisdom since buying the machine.

wizard

Rob,
I made a decision between the same two machines and went with the
LMS 8.5 X 20. I have thoroughly enjoyed it. The thing that was the most impressive is the support. Chris Wood is awesome when it comes to helping
if any problems arise. I had difficulty with the movement of the power
longitudinal feed and he sent me a part that I had difficulty changing out.
Next thing he did was sent me a brand new lathe. The specifications on their lathe require Sieg to make obvious changes in their manufacturing. Excellent people with exceptional support and excellent product.
Doc

Reactions: CAS
Top Bottom