Is this lathe worth it?....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

About 10 years ago I bought a 7X10 mini metal lathe. It was fun to play with, but ultimately too little distance between centers to make it really useful for me. Getting another 4" between centers would help some. However, I have not looked around much lately, other than this 8.5X16 lathe.

http://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=3536&category=1271799306

While a LOT more money, it has greater capacity, plus one feature you do not see on most mini lathes -- power cross feed. I've ordered some tooling from this company and have been pleased with their service.

Last edited:

BKelley

Hi,
Depends on what you are planning on turning. This would make a nice lathe to start with.
It will do a good job turning pens and small projects. You might try looking for a used one
Good luck
Ben

plano_harry

Probably same factory as the one that supplies HF. I have been very happy with my 7x10 for $375 on sale. Perfectly adequate for pen turning. Use the savings to convert to CNC :)

Advantage of HF is the warranty or extended warranty.

papaturner

Probably same factory as the one that supplies HF. I have been very happy with my 7x10 for $375 on sale. Perfectly adequate for pen turning. Use the savings to convert to CNC :)

Harry I price one today on sale for $519.00:eek:

Hendu thanks for the post I too am on the look for a metal lathe.

plantman

Chris; $600 is about as low as you can get a new mini metal lathe for. Only thing I didn't see in the e-bay ad, was who made it. 10" 12" 14" dosn't make much difference if you are going to use it to make pens and smaller projects. Check out the Harbor Freight web site and look up # 93799 mini metal lathe to compair. Notice that this one is a two speed, high and low. 0-1200 and 0-2500. 3000 RPM max. and made by Central Machinery. I have looked this lathe over at our local HF and found it more than enough lathe for pen turning and making metal parts. However, if you don't have a HF near you to pick it up, the free shipping may sway your choise, as it weighs #90 . HF just had a 25% off coupon this weekend that would bring the price down to $450. Most of these type lathes are made in China by the same company. You will be happy with a metal lathe !!! Jim S

Last edited:

frank123

All the little 7 x lathes are essentially the same machine, there may be a small amount of difference in final fit and finish tolerances but I've never really noticed it.

No matter the brand, you will very likely be making a number of modifications and adjustments to it as you learn to use it, there are a number of mini lathe websites that give a good deal in insight into this.

The price seems quite reasonable to me for a 14 inch bed machine, and you can actually do quite a variety of work with them within the size and diameter limitations a 7 x 14 with a 3/4 spindle bore presents.

Dick Mahany

All the little 7 x lathes are essentially the same machine, there may be a small amount of difference in final fit and finish tolerances but I've never really noticed it.

No matter the brand, you will very likely be making a number of modifications and adjustments to it as you learn to use it, there are a number of mini lathe websites that give a good deal in insight into this.

The price seems quite reasonable to me for a 14 inch bed machine, and you can actually do quite a variety of work with them within the size and diameter limitations a 7 x 14 with a 3/4 spindle bore presents.

I agree with Frank on this one. I have a Cummins ( now out of business) 7x12 and have used it for 5 yrs with zero problems. Most are from the same factory with different paint schemes. The HF unit is too short IMHO. It is a very nice lathe considering what it is. I now easily machine all of my own TBC bushings with 12L14 steel and it is a very capable tool within its limitations. An ER32 collet set with a #3 Morse taper opens up many possibilities. Definitely not heavy duty, but does a surprisingly good job for a hobbiest/ home shop machinist. There's a wealth of info on these lathes, just search mini lathe dot com for lots of info and links.

Just a clarification, I haven't used it to make pens although it is certainly capable of it, because I prefer my Jet 1642 for those. Also, the mini lathe for metals is just as slippery of a slope is a woodturning lathe when considering add-ons such as quick change tool posts and replaceable carbide cutters, etc, etc. So be warned!

Last edited:

Pen-Archer

Google HF 20% coupon, you might be able get a decent discount.

plano_harry

Yes, it looks like it. It was on sale for $499.00 last year and I had a 25% discount coupon so that made it $375. Since the $519 sale price doesn't require a coupon, they will usually discount the sale price. You just can't use a discount coupon on a sale coupon, so you are probably looking at $390. They usually offer a 25% discount coupon on Easter Sunday if you are interested and can't find one somewhere else.

papaturner

Yes, it looks like it. It was on sale for $499.00 last year and I had a 25% discount coupon so that made it $375. Since the $519 sale price doesn't require a coupon, they will usually discount the sale price. You just can't use a discount coupon on a sale coupon, so you are probably looking at $390. They usually offer a 25% discount coupon on Easter Sunday if you are interested and can't find one somewhere else.

I talked to the store manager would not budge. I could not use any sort of coupon with the sale price of $519.00

I talked to the store manager would not budge. I could not use any sort of coupon with the sale price of $519.00

I ran into that problem when using a 25% coupon on the dust collector. The cashier told me I couldn't use it. The manager told me I couldn't use it. I pulled up the website on my phone, and showed them that it accepted the coupon for the dust collector. Went right through when they rang it up. :)

plantman

I ran into that problem when using a 25% coupon on the dust collector. The cashier told me I couldn't use it. The manager told me I couldn't use it. I pulled up the website on my phone, and showed them that it accepted the coupon for the dust collector. Went right through when they rang it up. :)

I have seen this problem come up on threads before. I have never had a problem using a cupon on any sale items at our local Harbor Freight Store. It has never even been questioned. You can't use more than one cupon on a single item however. Everything in their flyers is discounted already, but you can still get the 20-25% off that sale price. Jim S

Last edited:
I have seen this problem come up on threads before. I have never had a problem using a cupon on any sale items at our local Harbor Freight Store. It has never even been questioned. You can't use more than one cupon on a single item however. Everything in their flyers is discounted already, but you can still get the 20-25% off that sale price. Jim S

Yeah. I always thought that some managers had a self imposed dollar figure cutoff. I got a kick out of "can't use coupons on sale item" excuse I was given. Everything I've ever bought from there has been on sale, and I always use at least one coupon.

papaturner

Apparently some of you folk knows something I don`t . I made yet another trip to HF this afternoon with a coupon deal $449.00 and a 20% discount off anyone item and they said absolutely not, no deal, will not do it.
So I give.:confused:

Apparently some of you folk knows something I don`t . I made yet another trip to HF this afternoon with a coupon deal $449.00 and a 20% discount off anyone item and they said absolutely not, no deal, will not do it. So I give.:confused:

I just went online. 7x10 is on sale for $520. 25% off coupon was accepted for $130 off. Shipping $22. Total $412. I'd order it online.

stonepecker

Next time they don't wish to honor a coupon.....ask for the manager and then ask for his name. Contact HF and let them know what is happening. They don't like it when the managers screw with the customers.......tends to get them replaced real fast.

HF will always take their own coupons.....even on sale items.
One coupon per purchase....per customer.....per day.
I went three days in a row for a total of $500+ save one the items I got.
Of course, I was going right by the store, three days in a row, with my work.

MikeL

Hendu3270

Did you get this lathe? I have been looking around and bumped into the same eBay lathe. Have you made the plung?

Is this lathe worth the $600.00? I know, buy the biggest you can but at $600.00 and free shipping it's tempting. As you can see I'm still on the fence about new wood lathe or metal lathe. Didn't know if anyone knew anything about this one.

7x14" Precision Mini Metal Lathe Infinite Variable Speed 2500rpm 550W DC Motor | eBay

Mike, after deciding to upgrade my wood lathe instead, and then again deciding to go with a metal lathe, I finally decided on a Grizzly metal lathe. I ordered the Grizzly lathe, told it was on back order for two weeks, then (two weeks later) was told it was on back order for another month. After all that, IO canceled that order and decided to just go with a HF 7X12. All that to say, no, I can't give you any info on this lathe. Wish I could be more help.

MikeL

Well, Chris, I go through that same decision making process of back and forth but my better half usually has a lot to do with that. :wink:

Hope to see some reports and results of the HF lathe.
Mike

Top Bottom