Lathe Threading

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I am wanting to do some threading on my lathe. I have been looking on line for the cutters that I need and ended up on ebay. Upon getting there I realized I know jack about what I am trying to do. There are so many different cutters, sizes, angles and holders. I would like to use Carbide cutters, what do I need to get started that wont break the bank? I would like the ability to thread standard and metric. Any help would be appreciated.

What I have. Grix 9x19 lathe w/ a compound slide and a QCTP.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Paul in OKC

If you are only going to be threading aluminum and plastics, I would opt for either HSS, or the steel shank carbide tipped tools already ground to 60*. Carbide inserts can get spendy, and generally can not be resharpened. The link for compound set up is some decent info for small lathe stuff, although for fine threads I never worry about feeding with the compound and just dial straight in with the cross slide. Standard and metric threads can be cut with the same cutters, there is just a different process for the metric.

Justturnin

Thanks Everyone. I will want to thread some Stainless as well as Alum & Plastics. I will begin by ruining some aluminum rod that I got from the scrap yard a while back and some alumulite waste pours before moving to the SS. That said, if I am able to buy some HSS for the softer materials I am more than happy to do that. Maybe even get started on that and once I get a better feel I can get the Carbide inserts for the harder materials.

Justturnin

what kind of tool holder do you have to use now?
Sherline 11940 Carbide Threading Tool 60º | eBay
This may do what you want without getting expensive. You will need a fishtail gage. Something like this
Craftsman 60 Degree Tempered Center Gage Machinist Toolmaker Tools Tool | eBay

I have an A2Z QCTP like so:
Quick Change Tool Post Set for 9x20 Lathe - LittleMachineShop.com

I bet that cutter will work to get me started. Watching on YouTube everyone has some fancy cutters, I was not aware a simple cutter was out there. The fishtail is on my shopping list.

Janster

The inserts you listed are just that, "inserts". You will need the tool that holds the inserts and then a tool holder to hold that to your tool post!

Top Bottom