Lathe question from a newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

suefox51

I've been lurking around here, and have decided to take the plunge and start pen turning. I have a workbench, but need to purchase a drill press and mini lathe.
Hence, my question - I need some input from you experienced turners as to a good starter drill press and mini lathe. There are budget constraints, so I would like to get the "biggest bang for my buck"!
Thanks in advance for your input :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RMayoIII

With a decent lathe you wouldn't necessarily need a drill press for pen blanks. There are a few decent small lathes out there. I don't have any experience with any other than my jet 1220, but grizzly has a couple for less money that appear to have more options. All you need to drill on the large is a drill chuck and a four jaw chuck. IMO, drilling on the lathe is more accurate but takes more time.

monark88

I've been lurking around here, and have decided to take the plunge and start pen turning. I have a workbench, but need to purchase a drill press and mini lathe.
Hence, my question - I need some input from you experienced turners as to a good starter drill press and mini lathe. There are budget constraints, so I would like to get the "biggest bang for my buck"!
Thanks in advance for your input :)

I've put in my 2 cents worth previously on similar postings. I have used a HF 8x12 wood lathe for past 5 years or so. I just purchased a new one for 20% off current $129.99 price for just a tad over $100.

This Sunday HF is having a 25% off one purchase, with coupon. You could get this lathe for under $100. Its Chinese lathe, but a heavy duty one with variable speed control. A good deal, especially with budget constraints.

Russ

Last edited:

Boz

Save the money and don't buy a drill press. Put the money into the lathe and a chuck and a keyless drill chuck. You can face your blanks by chucking a transfer punch in the tail stock and mount some wood with adhesive back sandpaper on the drive plate on the driven end. The lathe is a much more precise tool than the drill press and can do everything you need with the right attachments.

carpblaster

I got a delta 46-460 and a jet,If i had it to do again i would not get a floor drill,I drill all mine on the lathe now,gets straighter,easet drilling antlers,all around save the money on a drill press now,put it in a lathe and woodpro tool for turning then ur set

OOPS

The biggest advantage of having a drill press is that, for most people, drilling a blank is faster than trying to do the same on a lathe. Now, this can also be a disadvantage, if you plan to do acrylic blanks. Faster means more heat buildup and can result in ruining the acrylic as it melts. This is especially true is you aren't a patient penmaker. I drill wood blanks with the drill press and use the lathe for acrylic. This is just my two cents, and others may disagree. I hope this information helps you make your choice.

spilperson

Keep in mind though that people make other things with drill presses besides pens - shocking, I know, but it happens. That said, I have yet to find a reasonably priced floor or bench drill press with a decent spindle travel.

I like the idea of chucking up a transfer punch and so forth - thanks for that one!

TBCbushings

I have a Rikon 12x16 Mini. I also have a DP and other tools. I didnt start out turning pens. I did flat work first and then started turning and on to pens after that. Lets just say you will be hooked on the pen thing!

plano_harry

Just to underline what Frank said - if you do spring for a drill press later, make sure it has adequate spindle travel. Most inexpensive table models do not. You need to be able to drill your longest blank without moving the table, so that would mean probably 3" plus. 4" is better.

Good luck with your new hobby! If you are near a Rockler or Woodcraft, they regularly hold free demo classes, you just pay for your kit.

Harry

AnachitlPut

The best bang for your buck is to do what I did. Find an old jet lathe and use it. If it is messed up fix it. I go mine for $200 had a few messed up parts spent $50 and fixed it. That's $200 saved. Best thing I ever did.

ironman123

I have the HF 10 X 18 and it is a very good lathe for the price especially with this Sunday 25% off coupon. just my 3 cents worth.

Ray

Top Bottom