Which lathe to pick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Having tried all 3 methods - taps and dies, threading on lathe, and CNC, from my perspective CNC is by far the easiest and most versitle. Virtually any pitch is possible, any diameter and any number of starts. Last weekend I did a triple start treaded box with square threrads on the CNC and exceeded my expectations.

CNC forum is next on the list:)

So is your Cummins 7 X 12 CNC'd or are you using another CNC machine? Sorry, not trying to highjack the thread, but I think CNC also weighs in on the decision of which lathe to buy!
Using a CNC 4 axis mill - A DIY version I put together. At somepoint may do a conversion on the Cummins but so far haven't really needed it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

I need to thank all who have contributed to driving me crazy.
I thank George Butcher for pointing out that I need to know (or at least have some idea of) what I want to do with a metal lathe. Great advise
I need to thank Bruce Robbins for opening my eyes that their hasn't been a pen he's seen here that couldn't have bee made on a 7x12 lathe yet. Good point Bruce
I need to thank Justin Short for reminding me that you don't need a metal lathe to make great looking component less pens.
I need to thank Mike Redburn for pointing out the pros and cons of the Shurline
I need to thank Mike Roux for all the help he's given me through E-Mails.
I have put all this advise together and decided........................
To up my budget and get a lathe that will meet my needs (yes thats what I told Dee, I need this:rolleyes:) not only now but in the future, so when I get back from my last show of the season in two weeks I'm going to totally rearrange my shop to fit in a little larger lathe, his one:http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602 .

Last edited:

Timebandit

Excellent choice Roy!! I have been drooling over this lathe for about six months now. Almost pulled the trigger on it once, but funds were low. I will be expecting a review, as this is the one i may end up with. Congrats:biggrin:

I need to thank all who have contributed to driving me crazy.
I thank George Butcher for pointing out that I need to know (or at least have some idea of) what I want to do with a metal lathe. Great advise
I need to thank Bruce Robbins for opening my eyes that their hasn't been a pen he's seen here that couldn't have bee made on a 7x12 lathe yet. Good point Bruce
I need to thank Justin Short for reminding me that you don't need a metal lathe to make great looking component less pens.
I need to thank Mike Redburn for pointing out the pros and cons of the Shurline
I need to thank Mike Roux for all the help he's given me through E-Mails.
I have put all this advise together and decided........................
To up my budget and get a lather that will meet my needs (yes that what I told Dee I need this:rolleyes:) not only now but in the future, so when I get back from my last show of the season in two weeks I'm going to totally rearrange my shop to fit in a little larger lathe, his one:http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-22-Bench-Top-Metal-Lathe/G0602 .

Texatdurango

Roy, that lathe comes with a 1 3/4" x 8 tpi spindle. The first thing you want to do is either make (on your new lathe) or buy somewhere an adapter so you can attach all the chucks you use now that are likely either 1 1/4 x 8 or 1 x 8.

MarkD

Looks like a good choice Roy! I went to the Grizzly tent sale last weekend and stopped in the showroom to drool over the new lathes. I hope the one you receive doesn't have a small rust spot on it!:biggrin:

spilperson

Timebandit said:

I have the bottom one of those. It is two years old, and I still love it. I was very happy with the folks at Bolton, too. I bought a bunch of tooling with it, and we negotiated a nice discount. I just bought a mill from them a couple of months ago, too. Again, great service.

Top Bottom