Lathe comparison

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CKormann

Continuing with a question I asked a few days ago...

I know this has been asked before but I wanted to include a couple more lathes for comparison.

I am looking to switch to a metal lathe and in need of some guidance. I really want to make the switch but I want to make sure I am not in over my head.

Opinions on the following lathes is appreciated.

Sherline, MicroLux, LMS, Grizzly.

Also, how critical is CNC to pen turning?

Lastly, is there anyone in southern California that would be willing to give me a hands-on demonstration? I would happily pay for your time.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Hello Chris

I am not here to talk you into or out of a metal lathe. Many people here are switching to them or use them in conjunction with a wood lathe. I have no idea about what is a good one or brands.

But what I would ask is this. Why do you want one??? Cnc is specialized equipment that is going to require a whole set of new learning skills. Unless you are going to get into engraving and other special cutting needs that you will need repeatability then that is a waste of money. I would ask you have you gotten past the idea of making basic pens already??? Have you taken the possibility of making pens with designs that do not use all kit parts such as closed end pens.

To me metal lathes are designed for one thing and that is drilling and tapping metal parts. Yes you can turn metal for pens much better but what kinds of metal will you be using??? Because just about any other feature can be done on a wood lathe. Unless you have other plans other than making pens that you have not mentioned. Then no question get yourself a nice metal lathe.

To me there is so many things that I have not even touched yet in pen making and I have been doing it for over 10 years now. I have no desire for a metal lathe at this time. When I am exhausted with component pens then I may try my hand with a metal lathe but till then the desire is not there.

I probably am not the person to answer your questions but wanted to address the need for one. Only you can answer the driving questions. I am sure you will get many good answer to the technical questions. Good luck.

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I can give you my thoughts on the microlux 7x16 There is ample space with the longer bed. Variable speed dial. Has lever locking tail stock as opposed to bolt and wrench locking. Two speed ranges. Forward and reverse. The run out checked in at .002 thousandths. That isn't bad.

A quick change tool post and set of tool holders worked better for me. I found a set on eBay.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
All the lathes or brands will work. Its just a matter of how well they work.
CNC is probably not a good starting solution unless you have experience in writing code or have the software to support it. If you dont already have it. You can get one of the ready made Sherline or Taig Lathe packages but will spend Thousands.
I have made pens and pen parts on Unimat, Taig, Sherline, Atlas 6,10,12, lathes and Im currently using a pm1236 and Atlas 6 x 18.
A lot will depend on your budget and what else you will use the lathe for. If your buying New.
The minimum I recommend is the 7 x14. You can make parts on the 7 x 10 but it gets easier as you get bigger. I do not recommend the SHerline if your going to work on blanks on the lathe. Yes it can be done, they are great lathes, I did it for years but its a lot easier on the 7x series.
Little Machine shop, Grizzly have decent products.
If your budget allows it and you have the room "Bigger is Better". Grizzly has an 8 x 16, 9 x 19 and 10 x22 if they are in your price range. They also have the 7 x14.
Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Some more stuff to look through.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f166/how-metal-lathe-videos-128232/
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f166/metal-lathe-opinions-help-122742/
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f166/yet-another-1-buy-thread-101127/

IF you click on the metal lathe forum link at the top of this thread in the little box that shows the thread name just below the Paypal button, then over on the right side "search this forum", advanced, and type in "metal lathe" you get 8 pages with quite a few threads on discussing which one to buy as well.

CKormann

John,

My reason for wanting a metal lathe is that I have long had a desire work with metal and make metal pens. Brass, aluminum, copper for sure (which I know can be turned on a wood lathe), but also maybe steel. I think a steel pen would be cool. Certainly possible that I could move onto things other than pens if I find I have an aptitude for metal work.

I also want to make completely kitless pens (metal or not) and I think I would benefit from the added precision of a metal lathe.

I realize CNC might be overkill, especially at first. If it is possible to make a graceful curve on a metal lathe without CNC then I may not need it at all. I am a software engineer by trade, and even though CNC programming is quite different from what I do, I am accustomed to learning computer languages so I am optimistic I could learn CNC programming should I need to.

Chuck, thanks for the info on the Microlux, I was hoping to hear something good about that lathe. From what I have read it seems like a good lathe.

Mike, thanks for all of the information and the links, they are very helpful. I appreciate your comments on the Sherline. I had been leaning in that direction, but when I put your comments together with Chuck's, the Microlux is looking better, but I have also read good things about LMS and Grizzly. As is the case with most endeavors like this, it ultimately is more about the artist and not the tool. I wanted the tool because I am not that great of an artist :)

Thank you again, gentlemen.
Chris

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You can make long sweeping curves on a metal lathe with a file. You can rough out the curvature with the compound angle on the tool post.
Most of the Metal lathes made overseas are made by only by a couple of companies. So customer support is of great importance. As you look at the lathes you will notice except for paint and stickers they look alot alike.

CKormann

Thanks Mike, I have noticed the similarities in the lathes. I think I am leaning toward the LMS lathe because I think it is metric-based. I can't tell if the Micorlux is metric or imperial.

Good tip on using a file for curves. Simple and effective.

Chris

low_48

How good were you with an Etch-a-Sketch. That's what turning tapers and curves are like if you don't have a taper attachment. I say you need a metal lathe and a wood lathe.

frank123

Sherlines are too small and light for much other than precision miniature model making.

Any of the Mini Lathe variants are good for most anything you want to do within their size and power limitations (and heavier motors can overcome a lot of the power limitations if you are a tinkerer).

If you have the space and don't need to move it around the larger 9x20 and similar lathes can do a lot more than any of the smaller lathes can and are still quite viable for a home shop.

With all of them except the Sherline you will probably need to do a fair amount of cleaning, adjusting and modifying to get them exactly the way you want them and achieve their full capabilities.

In any event, all other things being equal, larger is better than smaller, more power is better than less power, and heavier is better than lighter.

TonyL

Another turner recommended this brand - Precision Matthews. I am also looking into it. I also just joined the Practical Machinist in the hopes of learning more about metal lathes and other forms of metal working. I have no idea in I am in the right place.
Precision Matthews Lathes
I also have another call into The Little Machine Shop after seeing their BT model work on Thursday.

farmer

Engine lathe

Hello Chris

I am not here to talk you into or out of a metal lathe. Many people here are switching to them or use them in conjunction with a wood lathe. I have no idea about what is a good one or brands.

But what I would ask is this. Why do you want one??? Cnc is specialized equipment that is going to require a whole set of new learning skills. Unless you are going to get into engraving and other special cutting needs that you will need repeatability then that is a waste of money. I would ask you have you gotten past the idea of making basic pens already??? Have you taken the possibility of making pens with designs that do not use all kit parts such as closed end pens.

To me metal lathes are designed for one thing and that is drilling and tapping metal parts. Yes you can turn metal for pens much better but what kinds of metal will you be using??? Because just about any other feature can be done on a wood lathe. Unless you have other plans other than making pens that you have not mentioned. Then no question get yourself a nice metal lathe.

To me there is so many things that I have not even touched yet in pen making and I have been doing it for over 10 years now. I have no desire for a metal lathe at this time. When I am exhausted with component pens then I may try my hand with a metal lathe but till then the desire is not there.

I probably am not the person to answer your questions but wanted to address the need for one. Only you can answer the driving questions. I am sure you will get many good answer to the technical questions. Good luck.

A engine lathe is one of the ONLY machines on the face of this earth that can reproduce its self .
Don't put any limitations on a engine lathe.
I agree with almost everything you are saying , but you are grossly underrating the things a engine lathe can make......

Farmer

jttheclockman

Hello Chris

A engine lathe is one of the ONLY machines on the face of this earth that can reproduce its self .
Don't put any limitations on a engine lathe.
I agree with almost everything you are saying , but you are grossly underrating the things a engine lathe can make......

Farmer

Have no idea what an engine lathe is. Maybe you can explain to us layman. If you are calling a metal lathe an engine lathe then I am not sure how many people on this forum are building their own metal lathes. Don't underestimate what a wood lathe can do either.

I am still waiting to see some of your work. I have seen a cue butt and a pocket chalker with a fancy ring. Love to see more of your work and hopefully you carried your ideas to pens. Maybe you can teach us some tricks using an engine lathe. We are all about sharing and learning. How about it. ???

Top Bottom