A lathe addition for me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Among the other things I have been involved with, I picked up this Atlas lathe off Ebay. Its a MK2 3950 6 x 18 built around the 80s. I picked it up for $370.00 shipped but it didnt have a motor, gears or a 3 jaw chuck. It did have a 4 jaw Chuck. It is in perfect shape. I was very lucky that it is as tight as it is. It has seldom been used and well taken care of. I immediately bought the change gear set, and a MT2 to 3/4- 16 adapter for the spindle. I already had a motor from a Spectra Light CNC center I had bought and parted out.
atlas%2520lathe%25202.JPG

Its an AC/DC 5000 rpm 1/2hp motor. I made the aluminum motor mounts and bolted the old mounting plate and motor to them.
atlas%2520lathe%252010.JPG

atlas%2520lathe%25209.JPG

I used an old drill index box I gutted out to house the electronics and mounted it on the spindle housing. I added a green power light to it so I can easily see the power is on if the lathe is just turned down and not spinning. Like it is now in the picture.
atlas%2520lathe%25204.JPG

atlas%2520lathe%25203.JPG

I had a spare Qtcp and I made a t-nut to fit where the Lantern style tool post went to adapt to it. I added Dro scales to the saddle the cross slide and the tails tock. I made the tail stock up at home but took the lathe up to Mike Rouxs to drill the saddle on his larger mill for the aluminum bracket, and to get his input on placement etc. I think we had of us working on lathes that day at Mikes and Marshall Was making a pen.
atlas%2520lathe%25205.JPG
atlas%2520lathe%25206.JPG

I cut a wrench in 1/2 for the tail stock, a 1/4 turn locks/unlocks it.

I also took the original lead screw support off and made a new one in aluminum with a bronze oilite bushing. Drilled an oil hole and mounted an extra hand wheel I bought to match on the end. I can quickly run the saddle in and lock the half nuts, use the hand wheel for fine cutting and then quickly back it out.
atlas%2520lathe%25207.JPG

The tail stock on this lathe has a very short throw length. Its total travel is 1 1/4 inch (32mm) Not good fro drilling deep holes in pen blanks. So I took an extra Jacobs chuck and mounted it on a QCTP tool holder and now I can drill to my hearts content. I have drilled up to 1/2 holes now but I do it incrementally. I may get brave and see how tough it is. Maybe not.
atlas%2520lathe%25208.JPG

I'm in the process of making a hand wheel to fit on the brass spacer in the front to be able to engage the gears and hand turn the lathe for threading. It does have light Metric capability. Mostly I use .75mm pitch. I need to make or find a metal chip tray. I also have to make a plastic cover for the cross slide DRO scale to protect it from swarf. So far I'm very happy with the lathe It has exceeded my expectations and is a joy to work with. I turned a piece of brass using the Beal collet holder as my test piece and the Dial indicator I didnt move more than .0005 when I checked it. I then flipped the cut end into the Bison 3 jaw chuck and did a test cut. It did move somewhere between .005 and .001 . i have an original 3 jaw 4 inch chuck on its way for larger less precise projects but Im good to go as it is. I wont get rid of my Sherline lathes I have one I have converted to cnc and I will part out the other one. I will use the 24 inch bed to mount a 4th axis set up on and mount it on my CNC Mill when I need it.

thanks for looking comments quips questions are all welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

Mike,
I really appreciate the work you put into the Atlas. It is good to see new life breathed into a piece of machinery and made useful once again. Keep up the good work. Great pics too!!

Ben

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Fred
The variable speed controller was original to the motor from the Spectra Light set up. All I did was add the light and put it in a new box.

@Dave...... (sounds of Sirens behind me).... (Lathe Police) Pull that lathe over and shut it down... This Is a "NO" Turning Zone........... Sir your operating a lathe with an illegal Chuck key... We are going to have to take you in.
24.gif

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
That is one sweet lathe. I looked around for one before I bought mine, but never found it at the right price. The drill chuck idea looks cool s well. How do you center it?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Bruce, Its actually not that hard. When I originally set it up I grabbed a linear bar in the lathe chuck and then grabbed it in the drill chuck to set the hieght. Now when I go to use it I just touch a center drill to the material enough to scratch it as it turns and then do finaL adjusting. I have two Jacob chucks set up, one for the QCTP and One for the tailstock. I can start with drilling the hole with the tailstock chuck then change over to the QCtP chuck. I have a small boring bar but will need to get a slightly bigger one. That way I can drill it to start and then bore the hole to make sure its right.

Last edited:

Rich L

I've many times thought about getting a drill chuck quick change tool holder or a 5C version. They're not hard to center - just indicate against a known bar. Height adjustment can be a touch harder than against X travel. The main advantage for my operations is that with a chuck mounted like that I can use the Z axis dial and the Z axis DRO for depth of cut. Not that the scale on the tailstock won't work but it's another convenience.

Cheers,
Rich

bluwolf

He's done more to that lathe in a couple weeks than I've done to my 12x36 in two and a half years:biggrin: Nice job. Looking forward to seeing the DRO stuff all done.

Mike

Top Bottom