Latest Aquisition

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timebandit

Well guys, i have been planning it for a while and have finally made my move to a metal lathe. I ordered this just before my birthday in January, and have been waiting for it to come in. Well it came in on Tuesday, but i had no way to lift this beast, so i had to wait for my dad to come in this weekend to get it up to its new home. We also put it to the test making some good sized aluminum and delrin part he needed making, so she definitely works:biggrin: This thing is loaded to the make and will be (hopefully) the last lathe that i ever buy. You cant beat this lathe for the price, hands down.

All Comments Welcome

Thanks For Looking

Justin

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0774.jpg
    DSC_0774.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 2,515
  • DSC_0775.jpg
    DSC_0775.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2,010
  • DSC_0777.jpg
    DSC_0777.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 2,065
  • DSC_0783.jpg
    DSC_0783.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 2,145
  • DSC_0784.jpg
    DSC_0784.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,227
Last edited:

seamus7227

Ok Justin, being that i dont know much about metal lathes, can you or anyone else shed some light on the brand of this beast! I love it! Please let me know how you like it after you get it up and going with your pens!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
One of the best values in lathe out there. Mike Roux (bluewolf) has the pm 1236. I have been waffleing between this model and the 1236 for months now.

They are usually on back order.
Did you get the large bore? 1-1/2

Rich L

Google says Precision Matthews, 1.5 HP, 1800RPM. Looks like it probably has the 5C collet option (rack of collets). Roughly $2000 depending. Threading and power feed. 120V. 650 lbs.

Nice!

Close?

Timebandit

Ok Justin, being that i dont know much about metal lathes, can you or anyone else shed some light on the brand of this beast! I love it! Please let me know how you like it after you get it up and going with your pens!

This is a Precision Matthews 1127

Variable Speed Digital Readout
Power feed both directions for right and left hand threading
Power Cross Feed
Camlock Tailstock
1-1/16" Spindle Bore
7" Bed Width
27" between Centers
11" Swing over Bed
Tailstock Quill Travel 3-1/2"

Much more, those are just the highlights. I added the QCTP and the 2-axis DRO. I also upgraded my speed controller to a regenerative brake speed controller and added a Bison 5c collet chuck(still waiting on this)........I think thats it.......maybe i will think of more:cool:

Timebandit

One of the best values in lathe out there. Mike Roux (bluewolf) has the pm 1236. I have been waffleing between this model and the 1236 for months now.

They are usually on back order.
Did you get the large bore? 1-1/2

Yep you cant beat it, and if you can please tell me and i will try to return mine:wink:but i dont think you can. I did not get the large bore. This one was backordered for over a month and i have heard stories on the yahoo forum that there is a LONG wait for the large bore. I just didnt see a need for it,and wasnt willing to wait close to 6 months in some cases.

Last edited:

Curly

Nice rig Justin.

I see you have a Diamond Toolholder. I like mine. :wink: Try it with round stock (a cobalt drill bit works nicely) with a little lube and you can get a very smooth cut.

el_d

Awesome.

Thats a nice set up there Justin. You should have let me know I could have helped get that thing up on the stand...

Timebandit

Wow! Awesome! Congrats on making the jump Justin.

Thanks!! Im loving it!

Nice rig Justin.

I see you have a Diamond Toolholder. I like mine. :wink: Try it with round stock (a cobalt drill bit works nicely) with a little lube and you can get a very smooth cut.

So far, i love the Diamond Toolholder. Its many tools in one. Roughing, facing, undercuts, finish cuts, threading. An its extremely easy to sharpen and maintain.

How could I miss the DRO...

Again, very nice. Congrats!

Cheers,
Rich

Thanks!!

That's a beauty!

If I ever need a bigger lathe I'm going to put that one at the top of my list.:biggrin:

It would be wise:biggrin:

Very nice tool. Enjoy!!

Thanks!!

Awesome.

Thats a nice set up there Justin. You should have let me know I could have helped get that thing up on the stand...

Thanks Lupe!! My dad had that project that he needed done, so i just waited for him to come in. It was a long 4 days:eek:

Enjoy it my friend !!!!.....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Doc

Thanks Doc!! Hope to see you soon!:wink:

bluwolf

Congratulations, that's a great lathe. I really like the Precision Matthews machines. I've had my PM1236 for about 2 years now. It's been great to me. Good choice going with the DRO. And the owner Matt, is great guy to deal with.

Mike

JohnGreco

Grats! Pardon my ignorance (it's been about 20 years since I've used a metal lathe, and that was very intro-level stuff back in college), but how does it compare to a wood lathe when turning wood/acrylic?

Timebandit

Congratulations, that's a great lathe. I really like the Precision Matthews machines. I've had my PM1236 for about 2 years now. It's been great to me. Good choice going with the DRO. And the owner Matt, is great guy to deal with.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I studied what was out there for a while and i kept coming back to this a the best value for the price. This lathe has it all!! Matt was a great person to deal with!

I'm so jealous! Can't wait to see what you produce with this! Enjoy!

Thanks!! Me either:biggrin:

Grats! Pardon my ignorance (it's been about 20 years since I've used a metal lathe, and that was very intro-level stuff back in college), but how does it compare to a wood lathe when turning wood/acrylic?

Well its better if you like control and precision..... if you dont like those things, then you wont like a metal lathe:rolleyes::biggrin:.........seriously though it turns them just fine:wink:

You have quite the patience, Four days.....

I would have hooked it up and slayed on the floor to play with it like a Kid.....

LOL!!...brilliant minds think alike........i did plug here in and chuck up a small piece of brass.......found a nice spot on the floor...........and..........well i guess you know what happened next:cool:...........there is a child in there somewhere still:rolleyes:

seamus7227

bluwolf said:
What he said!!!:biggrin:

Mike

what all of them said! LOL

Justin can you send me some website info on then(precision matthews) and also on the DRO, THANKS!

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have to say I was surprised to see you cross over to a metal lathe, But when you did, you did good. That's a really impressive moshine:biggrin: Congratulations!

Timebandit

I have to say I was surprised to see you cross over to a metal lathe, But when you did, you did good. That's a really impressive moshine:biggrin: Congratulations!

Thanks Chuck........it was a hard decision, but i have been wanting to get away from the restraints of taps and dies for a while and this seemed the only way to do it. I will be doing all of my threading on the lathe before long. It will also allow me to make other parts for myself more precisely. Im trying to be self sufficient:biggrin:

bitshird

Justin, Most likely you will have to machine the D3 back plate for the Bison, they do it this way so each chuck is centered to that particular machine, . but with that DRO you shouldn't have any trouble getting it in to .00015, I did one for each of the new lathes the school got just before I retarded, I mean retired.
The Bison are great chucks and with all the goodies you've added you have nearly an ultimate small shop lathe, it's a thing of beauty to me!!

Timebandit

Justin, Most likely you will have to machine the D3 back plate for the Bison, they do it this way so each chuck is centered to that particular machine, . but with that DRO you shouldn't have any trouble getting it in to .00015, I did one for each of the new lathes the school got just before I retarded, I mean retired.
The Bison are great chucks and with all the goodies you've added you have nearly an ultimate small shop lathe, it's a thing of beauty to me!!

Ken, i actually have to do a little more than that. I bought the Set-Tru version for the accuracy, so im going to have to have to make a backplate just for this chuck. Know where to get a 1" thick 5" diameter mild steel plate for cheep:biggrin: And this is my dream machine!!! This will be my last:cool:...........i hope:rolleyes:

Timebandit

Grizzly.com® -- Online Catalog

Bottom right corner of the page Justin.

Thanks but im not sure that will fit or not. My lathe has a strange spindle DIN55021. Not sure what all of this means, but i found this thread a while back talking about the D1-3 backplates Yahoo! Groups, but not sure if it will actually fit or not. Thats also a lot of money for a backplate when i could make one for maybe $50 tops if i could find the steel for it. I know the bolt pattern from the backplates that are on the 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks that came with the late, so no problem matching the bolt pattern.

good lord you mean you have been making all of those wonderful pens on a wood lathe! Excited to see what you do with this.

Manny

Yep, i was using a Jet 1014VS mini lathe with a woodchuck Penpro. This is quite the step up huh........:rolleyes:

Curly

http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page11.html

Sorry I misunderstood what you had. A cast iron backing plate is the norm for mounting chucks.

You are just discovering that machining accessories end up costing more than the machine they work with. :wink:

Pete

Timebandit

http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page11.html

Sorry I misunderstood what you had. A cast iron backing plate is the norm for mounting chucks.

You are just discovering that machining accessories end up costing more than the machine they work with. :wink:

Pete

Thanks Pete, $51 for a thick blank backplate sounds about right to me:biggrin:
And for now this should be the only accessory that needs to be made, as i decked this thing out to begin with. All of the extras on this laths so far were added at the time of purchase, so the only mod i have done myself would be installing the new speed controller board.
Thanks again

yea, I guess it's ok if your into AWESOMENESS!!!!!! I wouldnt even know where to begin on something like that. Wow.

:biggrin:The best place to begin would be to start reading:biggrin:

Padre

I have a question: does this supplement a wood lathe or take the place of a wood lathe?

Timebandit

I have a question: does this supplement a wood lathe or take the place of a wood lathe?

For me, this is going to take the place of the wood lathe. I am working on threading now, so once all is figured out, my pens will be made from start to finish on the metal lathe, unless i decide to move to the wood lathe to do the finish wet sanding to keep the water off of the new pretty metal lathe:biggrin:, and wont need my taps and dies anymore. I got sick of the size restrictions you have to live by with taps and dies, or else spend many a few hundred dollars to get many different sizes of triple start taps and dies. I also want to move beyond the triple start thread to the quad start thread like in the old school pens. Try to find a quad start tap and die, and if you can have one made im sure it will cost around $200 to have one size made. I also have a few other tricks up my sleeve with this thing:cool:

Top Bottom