just curious

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi all,
I'm vince and love to make damascus and was wondering how meny metal turners are out here in IAP. here is a pic of my 1st try at damascus pens made 3 months ago. I'm working on some cool patterns now that arn't just twist. the steel I use is 1084 and N201. the key step is a sub critical anneal for 11 hrs. then they cut like butter. TTFN Keep the chips falling

Attachments

• pens.jpg
    pens.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 405
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gimpy

Beautiful work !!

I have years of metal experience, and would love to make a few of these. Do you sell the material to turn?

Beautiful work !!

I have years of metal experience, and would love to make a few of these. Do you sell the material to turn?

Yes I do. it is not on my web site yet we are launching the new products next week or so but feel free to pm me with what you are looking for size wise

SteveG

Those pens look great!

I posted a Damascus pen recently (my first attempt). I had failed to pay attention to the annealing part, and this made the work more challenging. My remaining stock is in for annealing now.

Do yo care to share how to produce the varied colors?
Thanks

Those pens look great!

I posted a Damascus pen recently (my first attempt). I had failed to pay attention to the annealing part, and this made the work more challenging. My remaining stock is in for annealing now.

Do yo care to share how to produce the varied colors?
Thanks

Absolutly no problem. I use niter blueing salts and a propane burner. If you google temper colors there is a chart that tells you what temp. gives what color IE. 545 is a purple color and 615 is light blue and 475 is straw yellow. but first you need to know what is in the damascus if it is 1095 and 15n20 temper coloring wont work because both metals will turn. you need a carbon steel with a pure nickel so the carbon will turn and the nickel stays silver. feel free to pm or email me with any questions

the key step is a sub critical anneal for 11 hrs. then they cut like butter.

Can you explain (or point me to a decent explanation) of "sub critical anneal" please?

Is there a single temperature that fits this description, or is it different for each metal composition?

Thanks!

it is different for each metal but to answer your question on 1095 and 1084 my sub crit anneal is as follows 1) ramp up to 1450deg as fast as possible. 2)let the metal soak for 1 hr at that temp 3) cool to 1100 deg at a rate of no more than 45 deg/hr 4) air cool to room temp I use an evenheat kf27 with digital controls for my heat treating. this info comes from my knife making side.

duncsuss

it is different for each metal but to answer your question on 1095 and 1084 my sub crit anneal is as follows 1) ramp up to 1450deg as fast as possible. 2)let the metal soak for 1 hr at that temp 3) cool to 1100 deg at a rate of no more than 45 deg/hr 4) air cool to room temp I use an evenheat kf27 with digital controls for my heat treating. this info comes from my knife making side.

Thanks for this step-by-step -- it's clear there's a lot more to it than I'm capable of doing with my shop toaster oven :biggrin:

More4dan

Hi all,
I'm vince and love to make damascus and was wondering how meny metal turners are out here in IAP. here is a pic of my 1st try at damascus pens made 3 months ago. I'm working on some cool patterns now that arn't just twist. the steel I use is 1084 and N201. the key step is a sub critical anneal for 11 hrs. then they cut like butter. TTFN Keep the chips falling

Beautiful pens!

I'm getting ready to turn some twist Stainless Damascus (AEB-L, 304 SS) from Chad Nichols for some pens. I am very interested in your upcoming Damascus designs for round bar. I've come to pen turning from making knives. I bought a metal lathe to make folder parts and have been turning pens since, about a year now. I would like to visit on your method for heat bluing and the salts you use.

Are you heat treating the pens after turning before etching, or just polishing and bluing? Other's I've visited with say heat treated Damascus will etch cleaner and darker than annealed. This has also been my experience between blades and bolsters.

I hope to make some Mokume Gane rod in the near future to further feed this pen habit.

Cheers,

Danny

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I make metal pens sometimes :redface: Not a Blacksmith at all. Just pen maker sometimes. I'd like to try your blanks. PM sent.:wink:

Hi all,

Beautiful pens!

I'm getting ready to turn some twist Stainless Damascus (AEB-L, 304 SS) from Chad Nichols for some pens. I am very interested in your upcoming Damascus designs for round bar. I've come to pen turning from making knives. I bought a metal lathe to make folder parts and have been turning pens since, about a year now. I would like to visit on your method for heat bluing and the salts you use.

Are you heat treating the pens after turning before etching, or just polishing and bluing? Other's I've visited with say heat treated Damascus will etch cleaner and darker than annealed. This has also been my experience between blades and bolsters.

I hope to make some Mokume Gane rod in the near future to further feed this pen habit.

Cheers,

Danny
for the niter bluing I just anneal if i'm going to etch in ferric chloride then I full harden and temper. Damascus definitely etches better (darker) after a full heat treat program.

Thanks for this step-by-step -- it's clear there's a lot more to it than I'm capable of doing with my shop toaster oven :biggrin:

Just send a pm I will be happy to help any way I can

Top Bottom