Ipad/Smartphone Stylus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck Key

Hope it is ok to put projects in here. On kit pens the nibs and finals are pressed into a brass tube. The nib and final on this stylus are pressed onto at tenons cut on a Lucite blank. Both the nib and final were machined from solid 5/8" titanium rod in involved turning to size, taper cuts and drilling on the lathe. The stylus point was purchased and the blank is clear red Lucite.

Attachments

• ipadstyl.jpg
    ipadstyl.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 428
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Nice looking piece. I want a metal lathe also but am not sure I would make it pay for itself.

Last edited:

bluwolf

John, the stylus looks good. What did you use to drill on the titanium? Carbide, cobalt or just HSS?

Chuck Key

Where did you buy the stylus point?

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86058

John, the stylus looks good. What did you use to drill on the titanium? Carbide, cobalt or just HSS?

HHS

Nice looking piece. I bet you would get more views of it on Other things We Make. I want a metal lathe also but am not sure I would make it pay for itself.

I was trying to show the metal part more than the completed stylus. I believe my metal lathe has paid for itself many times over through various repairs. Some of the parts are pretty high priced considering the man hours in them.

Chuckie

dplloyd

I noticed Penn State has recently added an 'I-pad' stylus to their offerings.

Has anyone tried the kit?? I'm curious of the quality.

MarkD

It looks like like the Penn State stylus just takes the place of the refill and is the size of the refill point.
The CSUSA stylus looks to be quite a bit larger ( about the size of an eraser ).

alphageek

Former Moderator

It looks like like the Penn State stylus just takes the place of the refill and is the size of the refill point.
The CSUSA stylus looks to be quite a bit larger ( about the size of an eraser ).

FYI ... The refill point stylus are not designed and will not work for iDevices (iTouch, iPhone, iPad).

I just received the CSUSA type and will be trying it out on LOTS of devices.

titan2

Can those points be turned down a little bit, so that it's not like trying to write with a marble size point.....something a little more pointy???

Just wondering......

Barney

alphageek

Former Moderator
titan2 said:
Can those points be turned down a little bit, so that it's not like trying to write with a marble size point.....something a little more pointy???

Just wondering......

Barney

Nope... I saw them today... They are more of a soft bubble than a solid piece. However, remember that these devices are designed for fingers now... So it works better than you'd think.

Woodlvr

With the screen protector on my Ipad it makes it harder to use. I guess that you have to take the good with the bad. I am wondering if the soft rubber tips are the same consistency between sellers, I am curious if a tip that is a little harder would work better? I do not understand what is inside the tips to make them capacitive, so I am lost about what makes them work.

Top Bottom