How are you doing with turning metal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

Hey Dale, I have a metal lathe and have no idea at all how to make it do anything. I need a mentor / instructor / class . . . Weird thing is, I think about the darned thing every day and follow that with a dose of disappointment in that I cannot make the time to figure it out. High excitement, low follow-up. MOVE BACK and help me! haha
I'd be interested to know how often this kind of thing has happened with kitless pen makers. IE bought all the taps/dies/drills/etc they thought they needed and got nowhere with it.

AK

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I haven't lost the enjoyment of playing with my lathe or any other tool for that matter. I do go through phases where I get fed up with pens though and that sometimes keeps me away from my shop.
I think I will probably concentrate on my home made Rose Engine lathe next year though.

mtgrizzly52

Mike,

I found a great deal oh a HF 7x12 metal lathe last year just before I retired. Brought it home, put it on a nice stand, and then started studying it, hoping that I would learn how to use it by osmosis....guess what? It didn't work, and there is no type of learning institution here that teaches how to use a metal lathe. I've done some reading and watching on YouTube, but when I try to duplicate what I thought I learned, I get lots of curly pieces of metal and nothing turns out. I want to do an aluminum pen on it so bad I can taste it, now my shop is back up and running, but I don't want to waste a bunch of money on something I don't have a clue to do.

Any suggestions on how to learn this darned thing, especially how to taper and make threads would be very much appreciated.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hey Dale, I have a metal lathe and have no idea at all how to make it do anything. I need a mentor / instructor / class . . . Weird thing is, I think about the darned thing every day and follow that with a dose of disappointment in that I cannot make the time to figure it out. High excitement, low follow-up. MOVE BACK and help me! haha
Jeff, you've always been a busy person. :biggrin: My best advice for now, is watch all the youtube videos you can. I don't see me moving back any too soon. :biggrin: Although, I would be happy to stop by on my next trip to Indy. Providing I don't get the flu again. :frown:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I haven't lost the enjoyment of playing with my lathe or any other tool for that matter. I do go through phases where I get fed up with pens though and that sometimes keeps me away from my shop.
I think I will probably concentrate on my home made Rose Engine lathe next year though.
I totally understand Steve. But, I'm sorry you're going to have to resort to using your home made Rose Engine. :rolleyes:

Show Off!:biggrin:

I'm still planning on getting one with any luck sometime in the next year. I have turned a little aluminum on my wood lathe. There are some things I would like to do that would require a metal lathe or at a minimum make the job easier. Not that I know anything about either but I like what a CNC machine can do but I think I would rather fuss over a machine that fuss with a computer program. Also thinking after a metal lathe a small milling machine could also be fun. But for now I'll just have to see how much I can make my cheap wood lathe do.

Chris Burton

I have two metal lathes, but the 7x10 only sees occasional use as a pseudo-mini-mill. The 9x48 South Bend gets used almost daily. I love it. I've had it for four years now and have had to move it twice since I first got it. That's about the only thing about it that I don't enjoy. :)

BradG

Ive been sidetracked with other hobbies in life over the summer months, and soon to be distracted by snowboarding over the winter months, but somewhere in between il turn out some new metal pens. I have a new method! which im excited to get out in the open, though im holding back as i would like to go down the kitless route, but need some spare capital to buy the taps and dies, and a couple of plating tanks.

As for the lathe, as you know Chuck, its metal all the way for me. I dont have, and have no intention on owning a wood lathe within the next decade. Theres just too many things on my shopping list to consider adding woodworking machinery before i have even aquired all of the metalwork machinery and other toys i am after.

Paul in OKC

I wanna see, I wanna see!

RogerBean

dalecamino
What a great post. It's encouraging to see how many folks are using and doing great work on their metal lathes. I know there area number of folks who do great work on their wood lathes, but the metal lathe is the tool for me. Great post. Thanks for bringing all these kindred folks to the surface!
Roger Bean

76winger

I think a metal lathe would be cool, but honestly I've never worked with metal other than cutting and welding a few strips together for different needs over the years. So I wouldn't know where to begin if I got one. Maybe one day I'll have more time to engage and learn about them, but right now I hope to back up and try my hand at turning more non-pen wood items before I go the route of a metal lathe.

It sure is great seeing what everyone comes up with on them though!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Ive been sidetracked with other hobbies in life over the summer months, and soon to be distracted by snowboarding over the winter months, but somewhere in between il turn out some new metal pens. I have a new method! which im excited to get out in the open, though im holding back as i would like to go down the kitless route, but need some spare capital to buy the taps and dies, and a couple of plating tanks.

As for the lathe, as you know Chuck, its metal all the way for me. I dont have, and have no intention on owning a wood lathe within the next decade. Theres just too many things on my shopping list to consider adding woodworking machinery before i have even aquired all of the metalwork machinery and other toys i am after.
Thanks for responding Brad. I'm glad you have other things to enjoy in life at your age. I'm quite anxious to learn about your new method. We all know about your interest in metal pens. So, keep them coming.:wink:

dalecamino
What a great post. It's encouraging to see how many folks are using and doing great work on their metal lathes. I know there area number of folks who do great work on their wood lathes, but the metal lathe is the tool for me. Great post. Thanks for bringing all these kindred folks to the surface!
Roger Bean
Thanks Roger. I was taken aback by the post about the possibility of metal lathes having taken its course like the Pen Wizard, and just wanted to if that notion had any merit. With the response in this thread, I'm convinced we are alive and well. :biggrin:

I think a metal lathe would be cool, but honestly I've never worked with metal other than cutting and welding a few strips together for different needs over the years. So I wouldn't know where to begin if I got one. Maybe one day I'll have more time to engage and learn about them, but right now I hope to back up and try my hand at turning more non-pen wood items before I go the route of a metal lathe.

It sure is great seeing what everyone comes up with on them though!
Dave, personally I was fortunate to be invited to Mike Rouxs house after our first local chapter meeting, where I was introduced to my new addiction. Don't forget, when you decide to make the move, there is plenty of help here, and other online sites. Let us know.

flyrod

Alright, did some research last night, found out that Harbor Freight has their 7x10 metal lathe for $499.

Mini Lathe - 7" x 10" Precision Mini Lathe

Also found a coupon that if you buy it in store, you get 20% off one item....takes it down to $399.

Affiliate Coupon

Doesn't seem bad to get into metal...thoughts?

Question is...for a basic kitless, what else do I need?
- Drill chuck?
- 5 pc Indexable mini lathe set?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Alright, did some research last night, found out that Harbor Freight has their 7x10 metal lathe for $499.

Mini Lathe - 7" x 10" Precision Mini Lathe

Also found a coupon that if you buy it in store, you get 20% off one item....takes it down to $399.

Affiliate Coupon

Doesn't seem bad to get into metal...thoughts?

Question is...for a basic kitless, what else do I need?
- Drill chuck?
- 5 pc Indexable mini lathe set?
You did ask for thoughts, so here's mine. The HF 7x10 on sale has been discussed here repeatedly, and I keep thinking the same thing each time. I just can't imagine using anything shorter than 7x12 I have 7x16 and do well with it. To me 7x10 seems just too short for making pens. Yes, you need a drill chuck, live center and I like my 5 piece cutting tool set. Might as well do a search for the rest of the tools. They've all been discussed and listed right here in the Metal lathe forum. But the, someone may post them here in your thread. Good luck with your decision.

azamiryou

You did ask for thoughts, so here's mine. The HF 7x10 on sale has been discussed here repeatedly, and I keep thinking the same thing each time. I just can't imagine using anything shorter than 7x12 I have 7x16 and do well with it. To me 7x10 seems just too short for making pens. Yes, you need a drill chuck, live center and I like my 5 piece cutting tool set. Might as well do a search for the rest of the tools. They've all been discussed and listed right here in the Metal lathe forum. But the, someone may post them here in your thread. Good luck with your decision.

+1. According to my research prior to buying, a "7x10" is actually a 7x8. I ended up with a 7x12 and it's big enough for my purposes. But losing 4 inches on it would be a big problem.

Janster

I have a WL & a ML

.........and I use them equally. I do a ton of non "pen" related projects ( also "pen" related ) on the ML ( 14 X 36). 3 years ago I was a FNG and so far I have rechambered 30 plus barrels for Bench Rest rifles and have made alot "parts" for various projects for friends and myself. I really enjoy both lathes. Both are super handy to have around!...Be well and Happy New year to all.......Jan

Last edited:

wiset1

On the decline I dont think so. I do know that some people jump in and then get discouraged when its not as easy at they thought it would be or more work than they wanted to have to do. No to mention the cost of all the accessories. Im enjoying my lathe and with all the mods that I have done I have been looking for projects to turn.

No joke! I thought it was going to be a no problem with the material pouring off like butter, but WOW...I got my butt kicked today. It's not easy at first, and it DOES take some learning with trial and error. I'm sticking with it, but I'm not happy about it :bulgy-eyes:

Dustygoose

I plan on getting me one this year. Looking towards Grizzly 7x12. I plan to start with bushings then mandrels for kitless . I have one kit less prototype done on my woodlathe but was a pain

Hexhead

I have a 9 x 20 metal lathe, I use it for everything. I make center bands, aluminum pens, bushings, custom nibs. The learning curve can be very short if you buy some of the how to books out there.

BigShed

I have a 9 x 20 metal lathe, I use it for everything. I make center bands, aluminum pens, bushings, custom nibs. The learning curve can be very short if you buy some of the how to books out there.

Late to this thread, haven't been as active on IAP of late.

The remark that prompted this thread was from someone that doesn't own a metal lathe and, as pointed out in another post here, has been away from IAP for some time. The same person has made similar observations about kitless pens on several other pen forums.

From my observation, those that bought a metal lathe have in the main gone on using them, but once you get over the initial rush of questions on how to do things the number of posts naturally taper off. This doesn't mean that people are no longer using their metal lathe, just that it has just become another tool.

I have owned my metal lathe for some years now and still use it on a daily basis, in fact I use my metal lathe more often than I use my wood lathe.

I am glad that I purchased a 9x20 as a lot of the things I do would have been harder on the smaller mini lathes, I am also very glad that I decided on the electronic variable speed version.

I fully agree that a 7x10 mini lathe would be problematic for pen turning purposes.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome back Fred. Thank you for another view, and your input. AND, I totally agree with you.

I bought some Stainless Steel stock, and made a finial. My 7x16 managed to work with it, but I am not sure that I even want to proceed to make any other parts from this material. The only indication of a problem came when I was parting it off. Which may have been the operator.:redface: I managed it though. I will probably try another piece.

BigShed

Welcome back Fred. Thank you for another view, and your input. AND, I totally agree with you.

I bought some Stainless Steel stock, and made a finial. My 7x16 managed to work with it, but I am not sure that I even want to proceed to make any other parts from this material. The only indication of a problem came when I was parting it off. Which may have been the operator.:redface: I managed it though. I will probably try another piece.

G'day Charles, yes SS is a bit of a pain. I use a lot of SS, mainly 303 and 304, in fact I use more SS than anything else.

Where possible I plan my work so that I don't have part off, preferring to cut the part off slightly longer on my horizontal bandsaw, then face it off to get the right finish. This facing off to clean up after parting has to be almost always done anyway and using the bandsaw in place of the parting off tool is invariably faster anyway.

SS tends to work harden when turned and drilled and the secret is not to stop. The other thing I have found is that a correctly sharpened and shaped HSS tool bit works far better than a carbide tipped tool, probably because less heat is generated, and gives a much better finish off the tool.

I normally achieve a good finish straight off the tool and a quick flick with 240 git emery.

Parting off in general on the smaller metal lathes is not as easy as it is on the bigger lathes because of a lack of rgidity. I modified the base of my toolpost, using one of the 4 bolt designs on the web, and that made a big difference.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you for the lesson Fred. I do have some HSS bits, hopefully sharpened. Will give them a try. Also, I'll check into the four bolt plate. Mike Roux made one for the 9x20 I sold:redface:

I am still using my metal lathe to drill out my old pen bushings to put a 60 degree bevel on them. I tried to do this on the wood lathe but it was not stable enough to keep from chattering. The metal lathe just does it easily.

KDM

I only have a metal lathe but have used a would lathe. I like the ability to turn metal and wood. every time I turn I get better.

Do you ever worry about wood dust and PR residue getting into the works and gumming it up? I like the simplicity of my wood lathe, but when I turn wood and plastics on my engineering lathe, I feel I have to be meticulous in cleaning it.

Top Bottom