How are you doing with turning metal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
My title should have included other materials besides metal. So I had to edit this. I just read a post in another area of IAP, that suggested the metal lathes have taken a decline much like the Pen Wizard. (this is the way I interpreted the post) I really hope this is not the case. I've had some problems for the last couple of months, that have kept me out of the shop, but will get back in there soon.

How about posting an update here on how your lathe is working out for you. Are you losing interest? What has happened, to make such a comment be made? Not sure what is expected, but just made me wonder about it. Your thoughts would be of interest to me. Thanks.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
On the decline I dont think so. I do know that some people jump in and then get discouraged when its not as easy at they thought it would be or more work than they wanted to have to do. No to mention the cost of all the accessories. Im enjoying my lathe and with all the mods that I have done I have been looking for projects to turn.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDM

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Mike. You are probably right. But, we have a forum here to help with this. Could be some are a little shy about asking, or just forget to ask. Hope I'm wrong again :biggrin:

seamus7227

As soon as I can buy my metal lathe, I will have tons O' questions! However, you may not ever hear from me cuz i may be in front of the thing playing all night! I am looking forward to getting mine, what a challenge it will be. Getting discouraged? Never, I welcome the madness!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
As soon as I can buy my metal lathe, I will have tons O' questions! However, you may not ever hear from me cuz i may be in front of the thing playing all night! I am looking forward to getting mine, what a challenge it will be. Getting discouraged? Never, I welcome the madness!
Looking forward to it Seamus. I KNOW you will use yours.

OKLAHOMAN

I've had this thing called life get in the way but it looks like there might be a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel and I can get back into the shop and play with mine.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Roy, there is no more valid reason than yours. I am looking forward to seeing what you do with your lathe. Thanks for stopping in.

azamiryou

I hop back and forth between my wood and metal lathe all the time. Basically, I use the metal lathe when I want precision, and the wood lathe when I want freedom.

And I suppose it's fair to say I use the wood lathe for wood, and the metal lathe for anything and everything.

Mapster

Once I figure out a way to bridge the 250 mile gap between it and me, I will start using it more! Supposedly it is more important these days to get an education than it is to make awesome pens. But hey, that is what summer is for right?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Once I figure out a way to bridge the 250 mile gap between it and me, I will start using it more! Supposedly it is more important these days to get an education than it is to make awesome pens. But hey, that is what summer is for right?
Marshall, you have a valid reason for not turning too. Unless there's space in your dorm room.:rolleyes::biggrin: AND, I want an invitation to your graduation.:biggrin: Keep at it.

Well I know that when my lathe gets here next week you won't be able to get me out of the garage. I sold my first metal lathe just a little over a year ago and have regretted it ever since. They are a blast! It's almost as fun figuring out how to make tools that will simplify the project than it is to make the pen.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Well I know that when my lathe gets here next week you won't be able to get me out of the garage. I sold my first metal lathe just a little over a year ago and have regretted it ever since. They are a blast! It's almost as fun figuring out how to make tools that will simplify the project than it is to make the pen.
Cool! I look forward to seeing it happen. Thanks for your response.

Jim Burr

Banned
auto material feed. cnc the lathe. pc anywhere, presto program it from your dorm. Usb camera to watch over it. what more do you want?

Awww Geez Mike!!! You're killing me!:eek:
I've finished college for the (4th) last time...so I say, so the dorm thing is out...but the rest!!! I'm guessing flat bar can be milled too? Just a few more diamonds for my wife and I got it!!

PenMan1

I HAD a nice metal lathe....But then I sold it. PenWife1 got smack dabbed in the middle of my way.... "SO! You spent $3,000 on a MACHINE that will mechanically reproduce a pen that you are telling folks is SO SPECIAL because each one is made by HAND?

"AND, instead of working each pen by hand, you just turn on a machine at it makes 'em? WHAT DO YOU DO, ALL DAY? Eat Cheetos and watch NCIS?"

I PRAY TO GOD that she NEVER finds out that a $3,000 CNC lathe is worth $900 on quick sale!

Respectfully submitted.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I HAD a nice metal lathe....But then I sold it. PenWife1 got smack dabbed in the middle of my way.... "SO! You spent $3,000 on a MACHINE that will mechanically reproduce a pen that you are telling folks is SO SPECIAL because each one is made by HAND?

"AND, instead of working each pen by hand, you just turn on a machine at it makes 'em? WHAT DO YOU DO, ALL DAY? Eat Cheetos and watch NCIS?"

I PRAY TO GOD that she NEVER finds out that a $3,000 CNC lathe is worth $900 on quick sale!

Respectfully submitted.
Andy.....I am SO sorry. Yes, keep her away from the CNC.:biggrin:

dbledsoe

I got a 7x14 off ebay about a month ago. I am learning a lot about it, and I too think making the tools is as much fun as making the product. I am sure that it will do everything I need to do and everything I can think of now, but I also see some limitations - especially in the area of stiffness and precision. If I get the gibs tight enough to eliminate slack, I can't move the feed. The tailstock is almost(maybe totally) incapable of centering. There is a lot of slack in the feed screws.

On the other hand, I'm an engineer - I'm supposed to be able to fix it. I got a QC toolpost and a tailstock camlock from LMS, and I'm working on the other issues. This forum is a big help. I'm looking forward to someday making a metal pen.
So - no, I haven't lost interest. My one regret is that I did not buy the 9x20 lathe you had for sale. I'm sure most of these type problems would have been corrected on it.

cnirenberg

Chuck,
I really enjoy turning on the ML. I have a few projects in the making and a few that have been finished in metal. I just have a crappy camera (what's the use of taking a bad picture of anything?)and the craziness that comes along with life. I have been experimenting with my own ground tools rather than the inserts. I had a project that called for a special ground boring tool and that has been kicking me in the back of the head for a while-good thing for a hard German head.....

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I got a 7x14 off ebay about a month ago. I am learning a lot about it, and I too think making the tools is as much fun as making the product. I am sure that it will do everything I need to do and everything I can think of now, but I also see some limitations - especially in the area of stiffness and precision. If I get the gibs tight enough to eliminate slack, I can't move the feed. The tailstock is almost(maybe totally) incapable of centering. There is a lot of slack in the feed screws.

On the other hand, I'm an engineer - I'm supposed to be able to fix it. I got a QC toolpost and a tailstock camlock from LMS, and I'm working on the other issues. This forum is a big help. I'm looking forward to someday making a metal pen.
So - no, I haven't lost interest. My one regret is that I did not buy the 9x20 lathe you had for sale. I'm sure most of these type problems would have been corrected on it.
Dave, I am confident that these issues are fixable. Gonna take some time to address each one though. Hope you get it worked out.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck,
I really enjoy turning on the ML. I have a few projects in the making and a few that have been finished in metal. I just have a crappy camera (what's the use of taking a bad picture of anything?)and the craziness that comes along with life. I have been experimenting with my own ground tools rather than the inserts. I had a project that called for a special ground boring tool and that has been kicking me in the back of the head for a while-good thing for a hard German head.....
Looking forward to seeing the project finished. Family comes first.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If it can fit on my metal lathe, that's what I turn on. Whether wood, metal, plastic and by precision feed or freehand with a toolrest.

Come to the Mid Atlantic Penturners Gathering and you may see some of what I do with it.:)

Haynie

I guess I am not seeing the problem here. Maybe she wanted you to choose a different chip or add beer to wash it down with.

Me and my metal lathe have been back on speaking terms now that the back is better. I have two pens to make and will use it instead of the wood lathe. I can sit at the metal lathe, can't quite stand at the wood lathe yet. I have also down loaded some plans to make a little motor if I can find the time.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
If it can fit on my metal lathe, that's what I turn on. Whether wood, metal, plastic and by precision feed or freehand with a toolrest.

Come to the Mid Atlantic Penturners Gathering and you may see some of what I do with it.:)
Thank you Bruce. I would love to visit that gathering, but it's just too far away from here. Please post some pictures.

bluwolf

Chuck, just curious, what post did you read that made you think that? Not that I've worked on a pen lately, but I've had a couple of other small projects that I've done on mine. To answer your question, I love mine every time I step up to it. And I can honestly say I have never once regretted buying it.

Most of my neighbors don't really understand it. But they're thrilled that I have it, as well as all the other stuff in the shop. All they understand is that if they broke it I can probably fix it. And in 17 years I've never had a complaint about the noise in the shop:biggrin:

Mike

cnirenberg

I'll agree with that statement, you do have a steady stream of traffic in that garage..
....Most of my neighbors don't really understand it. But they're thrilled that I have it, as well as all the other stuff in the shop. All they understand is that if they broke it I can probably fix it. And in 17 years I've never had a complaint about the noise in the shop:biggrin:

Mike

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Chuck, just curious, what post did you read that made you think that? Not that I've worked on a pen lately, but I've had a couple of other small projects that I've done on mine. To answer your question, I love mine every time I step up to it. And I can honestly say I have never once regretted buying it.

Most of my neighbors don't really understand it. But they're thrilled that I have it, as well as all the other stuff in the shop. All they understand is that if they broke it I can probably fix it. And in 17 years I've never had a complaint about the noise in the shop:biggrin:

Mike
Here you go Mike. Last paragraph, or you can read the whole post. It just made me think.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/segmenting-forum-103641/index3.html Thanks for posting.

azamiryou

If I get the gibs tight enough to eliminate slack, I can't move the feed. The tailstock is almost(maybe totally) incapable of centering. There is a lot of slack in the feed screws.

The gibs prevent side-to-side movement, but don't help any with backlash in the screws. Even if you get them tight enough that you don't feel any backlash, the forces of cutting can still cause movement in that direction.

There should be a way to adjust the cross feed screw backlash. Unfortunately, the Sieg machines don't seem to offer this same capability for the compound feed screw or lead screw.

I deal with this by paying attention to which way the force is going to be applied. I can "set" everything at the limits of the slack and backlash in that direction, and make sure I always cut in the same direction.

The tailstock should be adjustable, but if centered is not within the range of adjustment for you, something is clearly wrong.

flyrod

I hop back and forth between my wood and metal lathe all the time. Basically, I use the metal lathe when I want precision, and the wood lathe when I want freedom.

And I suppose it's fair to say I use the wood lathe for wood, and the metal lathe for anything and everything.
Here's a rookie question: Seem the reason a metal lathe has an x & y control to give you the precision. I've been told that my wood lathe can turn metal. If there was an attachment to the rails that took the blade out of my hand and gave it that x/y axis control, wouldn't it save me the need for a metal lathe?

Gilrock

I checked out the referenced thread and I only saw one person make a comment that metal lathes were on the decline. Just remember he was absent from the IAP forums for awhile...and during that time a boatload of us bought metal lathes. I don't know how you would judge whether using a metal lathe is on the increase or decrease but it doesn't seem to matter to anyone using one. I'm sure my wife wishes she saw the amount of action my metal lathe gets...lol.

RogerBean

I would hope the metal lathe use is not declining, I now have three of them. My current weapon of choice for pens is the Sieg SC4 from LMS. My big lathe seems just too big for enjoyable pen work, and my 7 x 10 mini is a bit short. I've done a few pens on my wood lathe, but it seems a bit coarse for fine pen work. I know some folks do fine pen work on them, but for me, it's the metal lathe every time. Great to see others doing the same, and it's nice to have this metal lathe forum available. I always check it for the helpful thoughts of kindred souls.
Roger

Last edited:

trapper

I've actually moved away from using my wood lathe in favour of the metal one. However, I agree with Mike it's not so easy as everyone may think. I've spent a deal of time making mistakes and honeing my abilities and after some six months now feel ready to start the real work. I've built my own vacumn press, annodizing and plating set up so hopefully i can make some nice stuff including duplicating moulds Maybe ive
gone atad nuts but heck i enjoy it

bluwolf

[/quote]
Here's a rookie question: Seem the reason a metal lathe has an x & y control to give you the precision. I've been told that my wood lathe can turn metal. If there was an attachment to the rails that took the blade out of my hand and gave it that x/y axis control, wouldn't it save me the need for a metal lathe?[/quote]

When you were told that your wood lathe can turn metal, I think what they meant is that lots of people have turned stuff like aluminum and brass on their woodlathes by hand. Not as easy as a metal lathe but it can be done. I don't know of anyone who has turned steel on one, but I could be wrong.

The closest thing I know of that will readily mount to a woodlathe is a Vega duplicator. Depending on the size of your woodlathe, a duplicator for a small lathe is $300+, up to $800+ for a larger woodlathe. And it still wouldn't give you the kind of precision that a metal lathe has. Nor would it be as rigid, and certainly wouldn't work on anything like steel. I've heard (I don't know first hand) that the results with a duplicator even with wood are hit and miss. For that kind of money, you're pretty much into the cost of a small metal lathe anyway.

If you were good at the sort of thing, you could probably fabricate, machine, cobble up, something. But then you would need a metal lathe and a mill to build something that would work reasonably well. I think you can see the irony in that.

So the short answer is, yes, it could be done I suppose. But there's a good reason there are the two types of lathes. I think Azamiryou's explanation that you quoted sums it up quite nicely.

Mike

azamiryou

Here's a rookie question: Seem the reason a metal lathe has an x & y control to give you the precision. I've been told that my wood lathe can turn metal. If there was an attachment to the rails that took the blade out of my hand and gave it that x/y axis control, wouldn't it save me the need for a metal lathe?

As already mentioned, if you have the means and skills to build an X-Y tool holder for your wood lathe, you probably already have a metal lathe. And if you have the money to buy such a thing (it would probably be a custom build), you have the money to buy a metal lathe.

But, most metal lathes also include:
1) Compound. For additional complexity, this could be built into your wood lathe attachment.
2) Power feed. I don't know how you'd set this up on a wood lathe.
3) Carriage wheel - moves the carriage along the axis of turning; coarser than using the compound slide, but more precise than sliding the carriage by hand. I don't know how you'd set this up on a wood lathe, either.

Speed requirements differ, too - a lot of metal turning happens at lower speeds than a lot of wood turning.

Druid

Bruce,
I look forward to coming down your way for that event, I'd like to hook up with you earlier to look at your set up.

Hey Dale, I have a metal lathe and have no idea at all how to make it do anything. I need a mentor / instructor / class . . . Weird thing is, I think about the darned thing every day and follow that with a dose of disappointment in that I cannot make the time to figure it out. High excitement, low follow-up. MOVE BACK and help me! haha

Top Bottom