How to metal lathe videos.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rounder

In that first video, that is one MAN sized tool he is demonstrating with. Wonder how big the lathe it goes on is?

BSea

This is a good idea. Maybe we need a sub forum in this section just for videos. It might be easier to find a particular video without having to look through several pages in a thread.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I was hoping that there would eventually be enough to make it a sticky or that it would pop up in the search engine easily

znachman

Thank you it is Outstanding tutorials

Attachments

• WIA7A6F.jpg
    WIA7A6F.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 283

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Lets say you have a Triangular insert. TCMT 21.51
your can look up your insert by the chart and see what the letters and numbers mean.
then if you want to change something like thickness or radius at the tip of the cutter you can determine which numbers you should look for.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Here is a link to tap sizes the hole you drill the drill bit you use and the size of the tenon. the tenon would be the major diameter

Tap Drill Chart

I have a copy of it printed and out in the shop with me for those odd ball things I end up doing.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Here is a link to tap sizes the hole you drill the drill bit you use and the size of the tenon. the tenon would be the major diameter

Tap Drill Chart

I have a copy of it printed and out in the shop with me for those odd ball things I end up doing.

KBs Pensnmore

Lets say you have a Triangular insert. TCMT 21.51
your can look up your insert by the chart and see what the letters and numbers mean.
then if you want to change something like thickness or radius at the tip of the cutter you can determine which numbers you should look for.

Thanks for this Mike. A couple of questions, is there a chart for the different types of tips for turning metal that could be posted here, ie. brass, alum, cast etc, Please. Or is this the chart that you would work from?
Where the size is I,C and the 4 underneath is that 1/2" along the flat cutting face?
Kryn

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Yes the IC number is the number of 1/8ths in the size so 4/8ths is 1/2 wide. I will see if I can find information on coatings, HSS can be used for aluminum up to steel and ground for the best profile for the metal. The rest may be personal preference. I prefer the dcmt 21.51 or 21.52 35 degree diamond tips so I can get right next to my live center.

One word of caution on the inserts supplied with the cutters from China. They are not always ground correctly, I have had new tools show up with bad inserts.

Check out A R Warner products on LMS for Hss inserts and holders for small lathes.
Cutting Tools: Turning Tools - LittleMachineShop.com

randyrls

Michael and ALL; Another good location for Metal working is mrpete222 aka Tubal Cain. If you "subscribe" to a particular video you can see all the videos that person has posted. So by subscribing to Tom's Techniques, you can see all the videos he has created.

Hope this Helps

Last edited:
Top Bottom