HiTorque 7x12

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

I've read so much on metal lathes I think I am having trouble keeping all the information straight. I know I can get some great lathes if I go above $1000. I want to stay below that price. I've narrowed it down to the HiTorque 7x12--I think. Anyone familiar enough with this lathe to share good or bad experiences?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

You can also find the larger 9 x 20 lathes for under a thousand if you look hard enough and have the space available to put one.

They're heavy and not suited for moving around if you have the kind of shop I have where things have to be shifted back and forth according to what project I'm working on, but allow working on much larger pieces if you anticipate larger projects at some point.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
With the exception of a few CNC creations, I haven't seen a pen posted on this site that couldn't be made on it. I have a similar 7 x 12 and find it useful for many things. You won't be sorry buying this one and will have plenty of fun.

Fibonacci

It all boils down to what you want to make on it.

With a 7x12, you will not be able to make longer pens. The 12" distance is from the faceplate to the tailstock. Subtract the thickness of your chuck for holing the blank, the length of your chuck for holding your drill bit, and the length of your drill bit to figure out how much pen you can actually drill. In my experience, that is about 4.25".

I have a 7x12 and wish I had gotten the 9x20 almost every time I use it.

The other thing to bear in mind is that not all of them are made equal. You mention the HiTorque, so I assume you are looking at Little Machine Shop. If not, I recommend you do. They go through all the ones they get and clean them up/check them out before they ship to their customers. They are a great place to deal with.

MikeL

Thanks for the input. It's a big purchase so I am moving in slow motion and appreciate the advice.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mmmm, Bruce.....I think I've made a few that I only just managed to make on my 10 x 21. :biggrin:
But you are probably correct. For a basic lathe that you don't intend bolting big attachments to ( ever), and you don't want to make anything bigger than a pen ( ever ) then these little pencil sharpeners will do just nicely....:biggrin:

With the exception of a few CNC creations, I haven't seen a pen posted on this site that couldn't be made on it. I have a similar 7 x 12 and find it useful for many things. You won't be sorry buying this one and will have plenty of fun.

MikeL

Maybe the micro-lux 7x16 would offer as good a quality but with more versatility?

It all boils down to what you want to make on it.

With a 7x12, you will not be able to make longer pens. The 12" distance is from the faceplate to the tailstock. Subtract the thickness of your chuck for holing the blank, the length of your chuck for holding your drill bit, and the length of your drill bit to figure out how much pen you can actually drill. In my experience, that is about 4.25".

I have a 7x12 and wish I had gotten the 9x20 almost every time I use it.

The other thing to bear in mind is that not all of them are made equal. You mention the HiTorque, so I assume you are looking at Little Machine Shop. If not, I recommend you do. They go through all the ones they get and clean them up/check them out before they ship to their customers. They are a great place to deal with.

MikeL

A question more for curiosity than practicality, the southbend 8x18 seems to have good reviews. It is not really a realistic choice for me because of cost but is it worth that much? The reviews mention how solid, well machined, and it's accuracy. I guess all that adds up to a big price for a relatively small lathe. Maybe it's more for the professional than the hobbyist?

I seem to be having more trouble pulling the trigger on a metal lathe that I really don't need to have than I have on getting a new car that I don't need to have. :rolleyes:

MikeL

Got tired of researching. Ordered the MicroLux 7x16 today. Thanks to those that guided me on the decision. Looking forward to learning a new set of skills. May still need to lean on the more experienced members of IAP! :biggrin:

Mintman

Mike, I bought a MicroLux 7X16 a couple of months ago and really just got to play with it a bit tonight for the first time. I made a couple of aluminum mandrels and loved it! I hope you have a great time with your new lathe!

MikeL

Good to hear you like your ML. The lathe will arrive here right about the time work gets busy and takes some weekends away. But I'll get to fiddling with it soon.

Mike, I bought a MicroLux 7X16 a couple of months ago and really just got to play with it a bit tonight for the first time. I made a couple of aluminum mandrels and loved it! I hope you have a great time with your new lathe!

Top Bottom