HiTorque 5200 vs PM-1030v

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Docholiday

I've read lots of reviews here on metal lathes since I've been wanting to get one for a couple years. Now that I've almost got my larger shop set up, I'm closer to pulling the trigger. For the last year I thought I'd settled on the HiTorque 5200 from LittleMachineshop.com
HiTorque 7x16 Mini Lathe, Deluxe 5200 - LittleMachineShop.com

After reading one of the more recent threads here I'm intrigued by the Precision Matthews 1030v
PM-1022V and PM-1030V Precsision Lathes

I thought the HiTorque had a great set of features for the $1249 including DRO and the quick change tool post and a 4" chuck. And since, at least at first, I'll mainly be doing small projects I thought it would be a great machine. However, I want to buy the best tool upfront and not have upgradeitis in a couple of years. Is the Precision Matthews lathe in a whole other category as far as quality and robustness? I would probably save a little longer and purchase it instead if it is. This lathe wasn't even on my radar until now. Any and all expertise, comparisons and comments appreciated. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Go for the PM-1030V. It's only about $500 more and it has features you will appreciate, such as the power cross-feed and the 5" chucks (both 3-jaw and 4-jaw as I read it) and is higher powered. Also the 10" swing and the longer bed. I think it's well worth it for the extra money.

I have been using a 7x14 Sieg lathe for about 6 years and it is fine for pens but I had to buy extra a 4" 4-jaw chuck which I find extremely useful (it came with 3" 3-jaw like your HiTorque) and there is no power cross-feed.

Feel free to ask anything, but that is my opinion.

Imaginethat

The pm-1030 has my vote. I would recommend buy from the pm eBay shop. I saved shipping and had the machine in 4 days. Just my 2 cents.

TonyL

I am where you are. I am ready to pull the trigger; the cost is not an issue. Even though weight is generally good for a lathe, I don't know if I want to deal with something that weighs as much as the PM. It's not like I am going to walk around the shop with the HT either. In the meantime, I am overdosing on training videos. I spent a few hours searching and writing to vocational schools, but I have not heard or found much.

Chuck, any reason why you want the PM that wasn't already stated above? Maybe as I learn more, I will understand.

Thanks!

BTW, I found these two sites to be very friendly, especiallythe hobby-machinist:

The Home Machinist! • View topic - How to become a machinist
The Hobby-Machinist

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Tony, I had the privilege of using a friends PM 1236? when I lived in Florida.
Although it's a larger machine than we are discussing, that thing is awesome. As for the 1022-30 just the lever locking tail stock for our pen making purposes is worth the investment. Forward/reverse selector for lead screw is conveniently located. RPM display. Precision. I like the wide cross slide ways. Too many other features for me to remember right now but, these along with good customer service should be enough. If you would give PM a call, I'm sure you can learn more about their lathes. :wink:

TonyL

Thanks Chuck. Economically, I can go either way. I think I will continue to learn more about how to do what I want to do on a metal lathe before buying. It's sounds like the PM is a no-brainer; I have yet to spot a complaint. All express the same satisfaction. Thank you.

Carl Fisher

The PM was the #2 upgrade on my list for this year.

#1 was my laser engraver/cutter and that's now in the shop so the PM is now #1 on my hit list :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Chuck. Economically, I can go either way. I think I will continue to learn more about how to do what I want to do on a metal lathe before buying. It's sounds like the PM is a no-brainer; I have yet to spot a complaint. All express the same satisfaction. Thank you.
Sorry my knowledge on the PM is limited. You would do well to continue educating yourself on metal lathe work in advance of your purchase and, be better prepared to use it when, it arrives. :wink:

The PM was the #2 upgrade on my list for this year.

#1 was my laser engraver/cutter and that's now in the shop so the PM is now #1 on my hit list :biggrin:
Carl, you are well on your way sir. I look forward to seeing results from your investment. :wink:

Top Bottom