HF 7x10 for $375?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

Just got a 1 day only coupon for 25% off, and it's on sales for $499 from $599 reg. I know 20% coupons are pretty common, but I'm thinking I might pull the trigger tomorrow on the HF 7x10 @$375.

Wish I could afford something nicer. I don't have room for anything larger (already need to build a new shed to make more room). Any thoughts? Is this a decent price? It's been 15+ years since I used a metal lathe. It was 15 years between working with wood or metal lathes before I bought my current HF equivalent actually.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

The biggest complaint I hear about the 7 x 10 is the bed length. Once you put a Jacobs chuck on the tail stock you do not have much room left especially on larger bits which are also longer.

LagniappeRob

What would you get without going too much more expensive? And it would still need to be a mini because of limited space. I've been watching craigslist and nothing interesting has been popping up around here (had to go to Pensacola to get the wood lathe...).

Autonoz

I have the 7x10 and it has been worked hard and is still going strong. The only complaint is the length. You can get the 14" bed extension from Little Machine Shop for 149.00. If I wasn't in the market for a much bigger lathe, that is what I would do.

flyrod

I have the 7x10 and it has been worked hard and is still going strong. The only complaint is the length. You can get the 14" bed extension from Little Machine Shop for 149.00. If I wasn't in the market for a much bigger lathe, that is what I would do.

I bought the 7x10 and the extension....took an evening to swap it out, but have a heck of a little 7x14 lathe for about $550. Absolutely love it so far, and plenty of room to work in.

LagniappeRob

Probably should have done it, but I held off thinking I might find something bigger. I don't really have the room right now. I'm about to build a small shed to move some stuff to so I can get more room to work.

I saw the extension is $129 right now. One thing that confuses me is this line from the description:
The 7x14 bed is actually 6" longer than the 7x10 bed. It is 2" longer than the 7x12 bed.

It's been a while since I've done basic math, but isn't 10+6 = 16? How can it be 6 inches longer than the 10 but only 2 than the 12? Typo?

BSea

Probably should have done it, but I held off thinking I might find something bigger. I don't really have the room right now. I'm about to build a small shed to move some stuff to so I can get more room to work.

I saw the extension is $129 right now. One thing that confuses me is this line from the description:
The 7x14 bed is actually 6" longer than the 7x10 bed. It is 2" longer than the 7x12 bed.
It's been a while since I've done basic math, but isn't 10+6 = 16? How can it be 6 inches longer than the 10 but only 2 than the 12? Typo?
Because the 7x12 is really a 7x10. I have no idea why they don't list it properly.

randyrls

Rob; Remember those are marketing inches; no relation to reality! :):bulgy-eyes:

In reality it is because the measurements are not taken under the same conditions. One set of measurements are from the head stock nose to the tail stock quill. The other is from a dead center in the head stock, and dead center in the tail stock.

LagniappeRob

Reminds me of "chicken minutes" ... true story! Popeyes employee told me after waiting 25+ minutes for my box of chicken to go that it takes "15 minutes" to cook. When I protested that it had been almost double that, I was told "it's chicken minutes, they're different". I thanked her for the funniest thing I've heard all day. Needless to say I called the # on the back of the receipt to tell my story. She could hardly keep herself from laughing out loud.

So with the extensions it will be 14" between centers, instead of more like 8" or so (real life not marketing inches) between centers? Or do I have that backwards and the 7x10 is 10 BC and the 12 is actually 10BC as well?

Last edited:
Top Bottom