HELP ME SPEND MY $ WISLEY

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I recently purchased a MicroMark 7 X 16, wanting to expand my penturning into penmaking. When I look over at my collection of pen blanks I see well over 1000 blanks, many very select pieces. Then I look at my metal stock...there is NOTHING! I am seeking suggestions (somewhat specific as to metal type, size, shape, etc.) for establishing a basic supply of material to have on hand. I envision making all-metal pens, metal pen parts to complement my nice blanks, mandrels as needed, etc. So if I were to spend about $200-$300, what do you with experience in metals suggest. I live on a small island: limited general purpose machine shop to go scrounging or buying locally. Can you help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I would definitely get some brass. One of the easiest metals to machine. You can make mandrels as well as many pen parts from it. You can even have the parts plated if you like how they come out. I try to keep some 5/8, 1/2 amd 3/8 around. Scraps pieces can often be found on Ebay.

I would also get some Delrin (Acetal) in various diameters. Again scraps available on Ebay. Great for bushings, particulary if you don't want CA to stick.

Also get some tool steel blanks. These are very inexpensive and if you have a bench grinder you will find it convenient to grind that special tool for a special purpose. If you don't have a bench grinder, get one.

Aluminum rod or sheet would be my third choice. I use this less often, but can come in handy if you want a light pen or some accent pieces.

rherrell

I would agree with Bruce, the only thing I would add is try and get 6061 aluminum. There are alot of different alloys out there but 6061 is the best...IMHO... for making small parts on a lathe. The stuff you get in the big box stores is "gummy" and turns like c$%p.

SteveG

Thanks for you inputs. I am hoping to hear some ideas on types of stainless steel that are best suited to pen making, and also if any one else has suggestions of metals to avoid. Rick, you suggested the 6061 aluminum. Does that retain a nice appearance over time as pen barrels and/or hardware?

frank123

Brass, aluminum, drill rod and mild steel rod. More brass and aluminum than steels, and some synthetic rods of various kinds are worthwhile to keep around as well. 1/2 inch stock can be turned down to size, but 3/8 cannot be turned up to larger size so I prefer more of larger sizes on hand (1/2, 5/8, etc) even if it costs more to make the smaller stuff from them.

Not so much in large quantities all at once in the beginning, you'll figure out what sizes you use mast and want on hand real quick like.

eldee

I would agree with Bruce, the only thing I would add is try and get 6061 aluminum. There are alot of different alloys out there but 6061 is the best...IMHO... for making small parts on a lathe. The stuff you get in the big box stores is "gummy" and turns like c$%p.

6061 aluminum comes in a lot of tempers. The most common material on a shelf is likely 6061-T6. It will machine much differently than O temper 6061 which is considerably softer.

jd99

Maybe some D2, A2 or some S7..... just kidding, I would get what is mentioned above, and I would also get some tool steel to keep in stock, maybe some Oil hardening O1, or water hardening W1; or something like that. You never know when you want to make a tool and have the ability to heat treat your tool.

I personally use O1, because it has better stability it will expand about .001" per inch, where W1 will expand .002" to .004" per inch. But the O1 is a little messy to heat treat and there is the danger of fire since you are putting it in oil.

there is a good metal supply here close to me in So Calif, but I'm not sure if they ship to you; your still in the states I don't see why they wouldn't; if you want their info, let me know.

Good Luck.

Haynie

Hookers and beer.

Or what Frank said.

practice wax. Someone here convinced me to actually use the stuff I got at a surplus auction, and it has helped an awful lot.

BSea

Unlike SteveG, I don't need any help spending my mone . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Oh wait, he said "WISELY". Never mind.:rolleyes:

there is a good metal supply here close to me in So Calif, but I'm not sure if they ship to you; your still in the states I don't see why they wouldn't; if you want their info, let me know.
I'd like their info. I just placed an order with online metals, but it never hurts to have other sources.

Daniel

I agree with the copper and aluminum. I turn a lot of steel also but it is scrounged scrap so I can't even tell you what it is. I also think you will find you turn a lot more than just metal or hard material also. the metal lathe has a lot of advantages over a wood lathe. For me precision is the main advantage not the ability to turn metal. So you may find a lot of those quality blanks mounted in it as well.

I also encourage you use carbide insert turning bits as well. I spent about two years fighting with HSS bits before finally giving in. The carbide cuts like a hot knife through butter in comparison. I count it as one of the big dumb things I have done. Otherwise My metal lathe gets far more use than I ever imagined it woudl for reasons I never thoguth a metal lather should get used for.

It is one of the machines that allows me to crank out 100 cheap and semi sloppy slimlines in a couple days worth of work. I am able to sell these for less than $20 at a healthy profit for my time. Not exactly what this group incourages but there is a market for a sub $20 pen so I make a buck or two from it. Isn't what I live for or love abotu making pens but hey. Every day can't be a wlak thorugh teh rose garden. I am grateful that my metal lathe helps keep the torture to a minimum.

Ed McDonnell

If you like online metals, make sure you price shop speedy metals as well. I've been surprised that some things are substantially less at one versus the other. In my experience, neither has the best price on everything. I've had great service from both. I had a bad experience with online metals for some delrin and polycarbonate. They hadn't ironed out the bugs with their (then) new supplier. Maybe things are better now, but I won't use them for plastics again.

For Delrin, I found Interstate Plastics had the best prices a couple of weeks ago when I bought a batch.

Since the OP lives on an island, shipping may be a much bigger consideration and could significantly change the "who is less expensive" equation. But shipping to an island is probably a big deal for any supplier.

Ed

BKelley

Looks like everyone bout covered everything except maybe 7075 T-6 aluminum. I much prefer the 7075 T-6 over 6061 T-6. It is a little harder, stronger and machines nice and crisp.
Good luck in your ventures.

Ben

SteveG

I am really appreciating these suggestions just as I am about to get a basic supply of metals/materials in to have on hand. As a side note, my Dad, age 85, is coming to visit soon. He made a career as a machinist in tool-and-die and design after working his way up starting with a company as a "gofer and clean up guy". He taught me the basics on the lathe starting when I was about 12. We are going to have some enjoyable times together exploring my new lathe.

Steve

Top Bottom