Help with finding a lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

I have between $1000-$1500 probably closer to $1200 that i can spend on a metal lathe.
There is many choices out there but looks like the grizzly G0602 is the best size that I can afford.

I don't have the room for a full size metal lathe and plus don't know if my shop floor will take the weight.

Searched craigslist and no luck on finding anything.
Anyone have any recommendations on a lathe in the price range?

The bigger the spindle bore the better.
The grizzly has a 1" bore.

Currently have a 7x10 harbor freight lathe.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alchymist

Attachments

• drawer2.jpg
    drawer2.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 212

hanau

The south bends i can find are close to $2000 or more for them.

Any information on locating them besides craigslist and ebay?
And can you even get one close to the $1200 price range?

thanks for the links Ty.

Sylvanite

And the Grizzly you posted, while a nice lathe for the price, is just the HF 7X10 on steroids. :biggrin:
I have a G0602, and it is a lot more lathe than a HF 7x10. If I were to buy it over again, I'd probably go with the G0752, which is the same lathe, but with variable speed.

I sometimes wish it had a reversible leadscrew, gearing options for really slow twists, and a hand-crank for the leadscrew (oh, and a taper attachment), but the lathe has served me well without those features, and has paid for itself.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Alchymist

Don't get me wrong, if I didn't have a lathe, the G0602 would be a contender. It is, as I said, a scaled up 7X10 - compare the pics. And I would add that Grizzly is a good company to deal with - I own several pieces of their ww equipment.

jyreene

Is the $400 price difference for the variable speed worth it?

Generally yes but it truly depends on your applications and materials. If you plan on doing more than just turning one type of material then you want to be able to change the speed. It also helps with finishing cuts and many others.

hanau

Does Grizzly ever have discount coupons on their metal lathes?

I have a 10% off coupon I'd gladly drop in the mail to you....

If you have no plans to use it I will use it, unless i come across a deal locally then I will send it back.

If everything works out I might do the southbend they have listed instead of the grizzy variable speed. If money works out.

Grizzly.com® --

John Austin
170 Deer trail
Thomasville Nc 27360

Is there a code that needs to be entered online/ If so you may be able to send the code.

Thanks
John

lwalper

Having done some metal turning in my distant past I can't say I see the advantage of the variable speed -- for those materials. There seems to be a fairly fixed set of speeds and feeds that work well for various metals. The gear set works well for that. That Southbend looks sweet. Wish I had one!

I have found the the VS option to be quite useful turning / finishing wood and plastics. Just depends on what your particular needs are.

Last edited:

hanau

Was going to order the g0602 lathe but after talking to grizzly tech about the spindle bore being 1' would a 1" aluminum bar fit thru it?The tech would not say yes, but felt the spindle being 1' and the bar being 1' it most likely wouldn't work. So I decided to not order the lathe.

But got on you tube and came across a gentleman named JAMES GREENE EAGLE DUSTOFF 37. I sent him a message about the 1' bar fitting thru the spindle bore and his reply was he does it all the time.

So Last Thursday i order the lathe and it arrived Wed.

I went and picked it up from the UPS freight yard.

Backing it down the drive to the shop

trailer has a tilt bed, was able to back up to the door tilt the bed and it slid right thru the shop doors.

Opening the crate.

Its new home. Notice the HF lathe being evicted on the left side
Table is 60 x 30 glued and screwed together.

Sorry no pictures lifting it up, concerned with being safe and not dropping.
We ended up using a engine hoist with a leveler to pick up this Shipping weight was around 430lbs. Crate maybe 30lbs .

sitting on the bench and bolted down.

first turning.

Now need to read the book, since there is supposed to be a break in procedure for it.

wob50

Sweet it looked so good all shiny and new till the last photo, but that is what they are for,fun fun fun

Top Bottom