Grizzly G0602

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Grizzly G0602 Metal Lathe

10" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe | Grizzly Industrial

In discussions with this guy on a trade. I've been curious about a metal lathe, don't have one, absolutely zero experience with a metal lathe but that means I need one right?:biggrin:

I feel like this is well overpriced but less worried about price as I am anything to look for or to be concerned about. Looking at the pics I don't see that it has the 4 jaw chuck it's supposed to have but may just not be in the pictures. Anyone that knows more than me see anything off other than price to be concerned with? Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am right where you are, although, i did spend 6 hours with Ben Kelley's Sieg. I am going with the PM 1022 or 1030. My family has three machinists in it and they all say the same - who knows.

southernclay

I've been seeing your curiosity, mine's been similar. My father in law owns a manufacturing business so he can show me the ropes and I can kind of figure out the rest eventually lol. If I was outright buying I would be look at the PM stuff too, I see nothing but good about them. I'd have about $500-600 in this trade if it worked out so for that I would be pretty happy to have a new toy that I may only rarely use. Hope you get one of the PM's!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Grizzly G0602 Metal Lathe

10" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe | Grizzly Industrial

In discussions with this guy on a trade. I've been curious about a metal lathe, don't have one, absolutely zero experience with a metal lathe but that means I need one right?:biggrin:

I feel like this is well overpriced but less worried about price as I am anything to look for or to be concerned about. Looking at the pics I don't see that it has the 4 jaw chuck it's supposed to have but may just not be in the pictures. Anyone that knows more than me see anything off other than price to be concerned with? Thanks!
I just went to check it out. Says, this listing has been deleted by its author. Must have sold. Did you buy it?

southernclay

Hey Chuck,
It should be mine one day next week, pure swap no cash involved, I'm pretty excited about it, also sort of wondering what I've done but I feel like I've gotten a good deal and passing along some good stuff to him that I didn't have much in. Wondering what I've done because I have very little idea what I've ventured into but I'll learn! He clarified everything on Grizzly's site is included along with plenty of extras. Fingers crossed but as I have time over the next many months you pros may be rolling your eyes at the newbie : )

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Well congratulations Warren! I am extremely happy for you. You'll be fine I'm sure. And you're right...the pros will be here to help you. They've always helped me. :wink:

southernclay

Haha, thanks Chuck! Now to find some shop time, finally got in here tonight for the first time since Mothers Day as far as making anything. The lathe is such wonderful therapy!

randyrls

Warren; This lathe will be very heavy and hard to handle. A car engine hoist or several friends to help move and lift are a good idea. Sounds like a good excuse for a pizza and beer party! Congratulations!

The metal lathe is an entirely different mind set than the manual wood lathe world.

You really want to do a google search for the "Pitkin Donut mount". This is also a good first project for the lathe. The two bolt compound mount on this lathe is not rigid enough and causes all kinds of issues when turning steel. If you just want to turn pen blanks, it will be ok.

The G0602 is the "big brother" of the G4000 (9x20 lathe).

There is a active "9x20 lathe" group on YAHOO. Join the group and look in the "Files" for "Rebuild Manual", and "Tricking Out" manuals. There is a lot of good info in these two files.

Last edited:

southernclay

You guys crack me up!

Chuck, sure do, I've actually got some in my fridge, my wife and I are gluten free unfortunately so I can't have it anymore but still keep some for friends so come on by Monday evening.

Wayne, you are welcome at my home morning or night :biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
You guys crack me up!

Chuck, sure do, I've actually got some in my fridge, my wife and I are gluten free unfortunately so I can't have it anymore but still keep some for friends so come on by Monday evening.

Wayne, you are welcome at my home morning or night :biggrin:
Let me check my calendar :wink::biggrin:

Good luck with your new lathe, be careful moving it, don't place any lifting straps over the lead screw ( the long threaded part in front of the lathe) so you don't bend it, a common mistake, remove as much weight as possible, remove the tail stock, and have the owner show you how to remove the chuck, the chuck should be threaded on, I can not tell from the pictures if there are flats on the spindle to hold it when you remove the chuck, some people lock the back gears to keep the spindle from turning, this puts a lot of stress on the gears and is not recommended, if you can get someone with experience moving and working with a metal lathe take them along.

southernclay

Great tips thanks Mike! I've just finished reading the manual, feel a little more comfortable with what all to look for and play with to check it out. Reading the manual let me know how much I don't know too! In time...

southernclay

Well finally got a hoist and a hand to get it unloaded off a trailer and set up. Way longer than I expected. Here it is along with accessories etc. the stand is great, super steady and the legs can adjust for leveling. I'll build a shelf on the bottom of the stand soon to hold a lot of the items and improve things as I go. Hopefully will get to start playing with it soon!
Thanks for the advice and help!

Attachments

• image-3513011723.jpg
    image-3513011723.jpg
    558.5 KB · Views: 255
  • image-702583675.jpg
    image-702583675.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 210
  • image-781363418.jpg
    image-781363418.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 209
  • image-3777601501.jpg
    image-3777601501.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 190
  • image-1379937769.jpg
    image-1379937769.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 210
  • image-1718657076.jpg
    image-1718657076.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 197

randyrls

That looks good Warren! Hot Tip: If you need parts for the lathe, CALL THE GRIZZLY PARTS PHONE NUMBER! The web site does NOT tell you if a part is in stock or not, but the person you talk to can check to see if the lathe part you want is in stock. Oh; Also, go to a local bearing and belt industrial supply nearby and get at least two of the belts used in the lathe. They are standard belts and can be purchased much cheaper than if you buy them online.

southernclay

Thanks Randy!
I did that with the sheer pin after reading the manual I figured it's likely I could crash the carriage and break one at some point. Good advice on the belts too.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Good to see this Warren. I see it comes with a tray for your tooling. You might consider a riser for the back of it. Mine is full :redface:

Have fun! :biggrin:

southernclay

Thanks Chuck!
I got the shelf built on the bottom of the stand which is helpful! It and the tray are now full. It did come with a shelf to go above but for now the lathe is in front of the panel and shop sub panel. I'm going to eventually move a few things around to utilize the shelf. So much to do and so little time : )
Happy 4th!

Top Bottom