Grizzly Adaptor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

orlandopens

I have been all over the internet looking for an answer to this question. Perhaps some one here may know.

I have a Talon 4 jaw chuck that threads on to the (1") mount on the headstock of my Jet 1014. Typically the Jet is set up to turn pens. When I want to center drill a blank I need to remove the mandrel, mount the Talon and Jacobs chuck and drill, only to reverse the process when I'm done.

No big deal, but I have a Grizzly 7 x 12" variable speed metal lathe sitting idle just a few feet away.

Has anyone seen an adapter that would allow me to mount the Talon chuck on the Grizzly lathe? The easiest method would be a threaded mount that would bolt to the Grizzly faceplate. Alternatively, a threaded mount on a MT#3 taper with a drawbar might work. But I have not been able to locate any such animals.

Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Doesn't that Grizzly have gears for cutting threads? Make your own! Otherwise contact OneWay, they will make one for you. Bet you like the price of make your own better.

I would buy another adaptor for it, Oneway probably makes one.
Chuck Adaptors

The problem with adapting the 1 1/4">1" thread is that anything that moves the chuck further away from the spindle increases vibration and I am always worried about additional runout.

I use Strongholds on my South Bend on occasion.

Curly

If you don't want to make your own adapter.

I would use a 4 jaw metal chuck on the lathe rather than the Talon. If you don't have a 4 jaw independent chuck that sometimes come with metal lathes consider a 4 jaw self centering chuck. LittleMachineShop have both types and a backing plate to fit the chuck to the lathe spindle. The independent lets you hold odd shape blanks, like rectangular, for drilling. You need to tighten each jaw separately. The self-centering bring the 4 jaws in or out like the 3 jaw you have and the woodworking chucks. It is nice for holding and centring square or round blanks.

Top Bottom