First piece of my jigsaw complete!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

After pooling all my revenues together I have just ordered myself a Crusader Lathe!!!!!!

so excited, and cant wait to get turning on a big lathe again :biggrin:

The delivery driver will be dropping it off on the pavement, which will leave me about 15yards to move it across my solid driveway and into the garage. any tips for moving 450KG? :rolleyes:

My line of thought is an engine crane with 1ton slings, and a few guys to push it around. I am presuming it will be delivered in one piece on a pallet... chap on the phone seemed to think it may be separated from its stand..

I guess that means I will actually HAVE to clear out the garage at the weekend now that its actually ordered...

Lots of things to pick up again as I go along... but at least the expensive difficult bit is covered!

Thank you to everyone who's helped with this :)

Attachments

• lathe.JPG
    lathe.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Brad I had 4 of the little furniture dollys and put one under each corner of the pallet and rolled it up the driveway. Mine came separate of the stand as wellbut it was all in one big plywood box. I took all the extras boxes of accesories and the stand off before I moved it. I used an engine hoist to lift it into place.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f166/my-pm1236-christmas-present-me-128219/

Fortunately I had great help picking it up and putting it in place

BradG

Thanks for taking all those pics Mike, I may be copying your approach lol. There will be two of us so we should be able to muscle it in. Little envious at the Engine hoist you had though :biggrin: the one im hiring will lift upto a tonne.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Not only did Mike Roux provide all the expertise of putting it on the stand and doing all the work. He also borrowed the lift from his neighbor for me!

Oh and congrats on getting the lathe.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I ended up with 17 tool holders for the qtcp. I had to build a shelf on the back or the splash guard to hold them all. I also moved the dro off the top of the gear box to that shelf so its almost directly behind the chuck.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Oh and replace all the sheet metal screws for the back splash with quality socket head cap screws. They are so soft you can strip out the heads by hand. DAMHIKT

BradG

17 tool holders mike? lol..... that's getting excessive :biggrin:

Thanks for the tip on the screws, il switch them out.

Looks like we have our own little club of big lathe owners :biggrin: , though im glad I opted for the DRO and coolant system package. Should certainly increase the life of drill bits & tooling. and il get to smell like a bucket of coolant again!

BradG

lol it's took alot of scraping together. It's all Mike Roux's fault :biggrin:

with a couple of commissions, selling my pens and an investment from a local businessman who wants me to teach him how to etch & plate, I finally managed to order the lathe I've always been after. got no cutters or anything else for it though! lol but at least I can marvel at it in the mean time.

Have to twist your arm into coming up Blackpool some time :wink:

its_only_me

lol it's took alot of scraping together. It's all Mike Roux's fault :biggrin:

with a couple of commissions, selling my pens and an investment from a local businessman who wants me to teach him how to etch & plate, I finally managed to order the lathe I've always been after. got no cutters or anything else for it though! lol but at least I can marvel at it in the mean time.

Have to twist your arm into coming up Blackpool some time :wink:

Couldn't you make Blackpool or Wales one of the Local IAP Chapters, then we could all come and pay homage and see the dream lathe.

BradG

Well that's one way to jump back in head first :biggrin:

Nice purchase!

I guess I was swayed with the notion "Don't buy and then decide I should have got a better one. leaving me having to buy another one further down the line :biggrin:

Couldn't you make Blackpool or Wales one of the Local IAP Chapters, then we could all come and pay homage and see the dream lathe.

Probably, but at this stage I'm just looking to get my shop setup and turning again. :wink: Could be an option for the future if there's enough metal lathe lovers around. You won't find much sawdust in my shop

bluwolf

Brad it warms my heart to see you made the right choice, I'm proud of you:biggrin:

How long before it's delivered? Have you ordered leveling feet for it? How about the oil for the oil change after the break-in? Come to think of it, sometimes they're shipped with no oil in them. And way oil for the ways of course, but it's also what you put in the apron gearbox.

So much to do, so little time... or is it going to be a while before it shows up?

Mike

BradG

Being delivered on Monday Mike :wink: They wanted to deliver it tomorrow!

And no to all the other questions lol. Id assumed it would come with levelling feet... now you have installed doubt il double check!

I picked up the lathe, and a vinyl plotter. thats pretty much consumed my budget until the next pay day. il pick up some more odds and ends then

lorbay

I might add that I just contributed $250.00 to this lathe. But I did get something in return. .
Lin.

bluwolf

You'd be surprised what they don't come with:rolleyes: Besides Mike Redburn's thread you might want to check this one out. Talk about a photo documentary. You may have to register to see this thread but it will be well worth it. CandlePowerForums

Mike

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I can mail you a HSS cutter If that will help!:biggrin: 8% cobalt even!
Since my lathe is used in production of my parts I have a tool holder for any tool I need. That way no time is lost on switching out tools and resetting the tool height.

BradG

righty I've ordered some leveling feet :rolleyes:

Just picked up some cheap ones, which are rated to 500KG each. I figure with 8 of these for the lathe it will be fine
$(KGrHqRHJC!FG9ZszimiBR5RpEbOG!~~60_12.JPG

Not quite as wide as the one's you have used, but still. the concrete floor is quite level to begin with

Top Bottom