First Pen Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sappheiros

I'm looking to buy my first pen lathe. I want to get something durable and well made. I've been looking at a few lathes. Which do you think would be the best first lathe for a beginner?

1. Delta 46-460
2. Rikon 70-100
3. Nova Comet II
4. Jet JWL-1221

Any notable others out there? I know there are a ton of different lathes out there, but from what I read, I've been seeing these names over and over again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

What is your price range ?? Do you want to turn metal objects as well as woods ??Also if you answer Gary's questions above, we can narrow it down even more.

Sappheiros

Well, I really just want to turn pens. While I like the idea of turning metal, making an entire pen with the lathe, skipping out on the kits, I know that's a ways away. I imagine it'll be some years that I work with pen kits and blanks, woods and acrylics. As for prices, I know there's such a huge range from hundreds to thousands. Let's say I want to spend under 1K (less is better, but if it's an understandable investment, I would go closer to one end than the other). A good machine will last a long time, but I know that I don't need the biggest and best I can afford if all I want to turn are pens.

low_48

You'll likely get more help in the tools, or pen turning section compared to posting it here in the metal turning lathe section. There are at least two posts going in those sections about buying a lathe.

plantman

Based on your answers, these would be my suggestions. Since you are new to pen turning and only want to make pens at this time, I would look into the following in this order. First: An inexpensive Mini lathe. You can get a VS one at Harbor Freight for around $100. See if you like turning or not. If not return it for a full refund. Second would be a Micro Mini Metal lathe from Taig Tools International around $400-500. This will let you turn wooden pens now and metal parts as you become more skilled. Also gives you much more control and precision than a wood lathe and hand turning. You don't need a metal lathe to make a kitless pen. Third: if you want to put out the cash outlay the first time, any of the ones you mentioned are fine lathes. It just is a matter of personal taste. I would go to a store that carries a number of brands side by side to compare, and hopefully you can try one or two out to get the feel of each. VS is important so you aren't shifting belts to do different tasks. No matter what you buy, don't buy high price turning tools to start. Once you learn how to sharpen and use your tools buy better ones. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask the members on this site !! We have all been at the point of time you are now at. Good Luck !! Jim S

Last edited:

Mengtian

You'll likely get more help in the tools, or pen turning section compared to posting it here in the metal turning lathe section. There are at least two posts going in those sections about buying a lathe.

And I am still not sure what I am getting:biggrin:

plantman

:bananen_smilies022:Why don't you try to attend our Wisconsin Chapter IAP meeting at the Wood Craft store at noon on Sunday October 25 at 14115 W. Greenfield Ave. in Milwaukee (actually New Berlin ), but we won't tell anybody. Mark James will be there with the IAP pen collection to show and talk about the collection. Also, if time permits, Ed Brown from Exotic's will have a presentation of the history of pens. Wood Craft also has a class room where you can try different lathes to see what may suit you and a large collection of woods, kits, and tools on hand. Jim S

Last edited:

Sappheiros

I'd really like to come out and check it out! I'll have to see how my schedule is closer to, because as it is I don't plan too far ahead.

Well, just as an update, I broke down and placed my order. I got the Delta 46-460. It's a pretty large investment, but I know it will all be amazing! It should be coming tomorrow actually. Hopefully I'll have something to show off soon! :)

Drewboy22

:bananen_smilies022:Why don't you try to attend our Wisconsin Chapter IAP meeting at the Wood Craft store at noon on Sunday October 25 at 14115 W. Greenfield Ave. in Milwaukee (actually New Berlin ), but we won't tell anybody. Mark James will be there with the IAP pen collection to show and talk about the collection. Also, if time permits, Ed Brown from Exotic's will have a presentation of the history of pens. Wood Craft also has a class room where you can try different lathes to see what may suit you and a large collection of woods, kits, and tools on hand. Jim S

Wow, that will be one heck of a meeting. If it were a tad closer (google says 1273 miles from me)I would think about going. :biggrin:

plantman

Wow, that will be one heck of a meeting. If it were a tad closer (google says 1273 miles from me)I would think about going. :biggrin:

Google says I'm about 87 miles out. It can be doable depending on what else is happening at the time!

I'm about 120 away myself, but I also have two granddaughters that live in Milwaukee, so we can visit and take them out to dinner while we are down there. The Packers are off that weekend, Brewer baseball is done, and the Bears will be going for 0-4. So there isn't much else happening that weekend. Hope you can make it to the meeting. Jim S

jsolie

They would all get you started and should all allow you to make pens and other items. If I had to pick one, I'd go with the Jet because I already have some Jet equipment and am familiar with them (and the specs on that lathe are pretty nice, too).

Top Bottom