Finally Joined The Club!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

With everyone in my chapter owning metal lathes except for me it is about time I get with the program! I have been searching, but have many restrictions being a student about to enter college, so the pickings were slim.
Ended up with a spectacular Atlas model 10100 6 x 18" metal lathe!

It ain't pretty, it ain't new, but it is mine and it has all the features I want! Feels good to be part of this group, now if I can only start making some kitless pens :rolleyes:

Attachments

• P10100252.JPG
    P10100252.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 924
  • P10100262.JPG
    P10100262.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,282
  • P10100272.JPG
    P10100272.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 752
  • P10100282.JPG
    P10100282.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 451

Mapster

Thanks David, and you can do anything you set your mind to... Don't hope, just make it happen.

Thanks Chuck, I am not sure about Thursday, I would like to make it because I need some help on a few last things, but I have a spanish test until 10:30... After that I am pretty free

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks David, and you can do anything you set your mind to... Don't hope, just make it happen.

Thanks Chuck, I am not sure about Thursday, I would like to make it because I need some help on a few last things, but I have a spanish test until 10:30... After that I am pretty free
Good luck on your test. Swing on by, we'll be there.:biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Sometimes having an older lathe and having to clean it and assemble things, to make it your own, Is a valuable tool in its self. He made the rear support bracket for the feed screw. Its relieved to be able to fit a handle on the rear of the screw for finer control for hand feed. The rust on the outside of the chuck is just a dark stain to the eyes. It was well oiled and rubbed with 0000 steel wool. Its funny how it shows up looking like there is still rust on it in the pictures.

BKelley

Welcome to MLM (metal lathe mania). I owned one of these Atlas lathes back in the late 70's or early 80's. They are nice little lathes. I know you will enjoy working with it. Have fun and let us see some of what it produces.

Ben

IPD_Mr

Marshall you are real lucky. You chapter has some of the best people around to help you and get you above the curve. Congrats and welcome aboard.

bluwolf

We're getting together on Thursday to see Chuck's new 9x20. We're going to start on his tailstock DRO, I think. Hopefully Marshall will bring his Atlas over for us to have a look.

Mike

Mapster

We're getting together on Thursday to see Chuck's new 9x20. We're going to start on his tailstock DRO, I think. Hopefully Marshall will bring his Atlas over for us to have a look.

Mike

Most certainly, but I will be a little late, I have a Spanish test until 11 or so. I will bring it after that though. I could use a few things myself!

Mapster

We're going to start on his tailstock DRO,

Mike

Chuck you pay close attention to how this is done. Then when you come up here for a visit you can help me with mine! :biggrin:

Mike, in the words of the great Mike Roux "It's not rocket science":biggrin:... If you thought about it for a few minutes, and drew some stuff up, you could do it no problem! I am sure Chuck would love helping you out though!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
:worship::worship::worship:Do we all have to address him as the Great Mike Roux now?:rotfl:

Last edited:

cnirenberg

Marshall,
That is one sweet looking piece of machinery. You will have a lot of fun with that. I still can't believe Chuck got a 9x20. He will have to move to a biger piece of real estate. You know he's gonning to get a mill, a shaper, a this and a that...........

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member

Mapster

And then I meet all of you at the great house o' Mike around 11:15 ish hopefully... Just spent about 7 hours cleaning the lathe, it looks spectacular! I didn't know it was so blue!

Mapster

Cool! What did you clean it with?

You don't even want to know :rolleyes:. My main cleaning ingredient was elbow grease. A little citrus degreaser for the headstock painted part, and lots of scrubbing for the rest of it. Turned out quite nice, I will take more pictures

IPD_Mr

Cool! What did you clean it with?

You don't even want to know :rolleyes:. My main cleaning ingredient was elbow grease. A little citrus degreaser for the headstock painted part, and lots of scrubbing for the rest of it. Turned out quite nice, I will take more pictures

In other words he is too scared to admit that it was Spic and Span and catch the ire of "The Great One". :tongue:

Mapster

In other words he is too scared to admit that it was Spic and Span and catch the ire of "The Great One". :tongue:

Don't give it away Mike, I don't want to upset him and have to endure his wrath :eek:...

But yeah Mike, I like the blue also, it looks a lot better now that it is clean. When I am finished with the restoration it will look top notch! (sort of)

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Don't give it away Mike, I don't want to upset him and have to endure his wrath :eek:...

But yeah Mike, I like the blue also, it looks a lot better now that it is clean. When I am finished with the restoration it will look top notch! (sort of)
I like blue too! I think I'll get the paint code off Mikes Corvette, and paint it up. Whatcha think?:biggrin:

Mapster

I like blue too! I think I'll get the paint code off Mikes Corvette, and paint it up. Whatcha think?:biggrin:

Not so sure about mine, I like the vintage look :biggrin:. But I think your dark red lathe would look mighty nice with some metallic light blue. Just put Corvette across the backing! :wink:

bluwolf

Chuck, just tell them you want Nassau Blue. But then you were just kidding, right? If not though, it would look pretty sweet. At least I think so:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Chuck, just tell them you want Nassau Blue. But then you were just kidding, right? If not though, it would look pretty sweet. At least I think so:biggrin:
Not kidding! I want to see the lathe first though :redface:

IPD_Mr

Chuck you need to hire an artist and have "The Great One's" avitar painted on the side of the lathe for inspiration! :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

Top Bottom