Expertise & Precision Sought

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gordonfraser

Hello

I am an ex-penturner, having sold my lathe due to a change of residence not having the space/area needed for a workshop. I am quite sad still about this, and use my kit-less pens every day still, and miss the enjoyment of creating these one-off pieces.

I have still been drawing away and thinking of ideas, with the intention of going to a place like First-Cut machiners to get my prototype/kitless ideas made without access to a lathe, but I wondered if anyone on here would be game for a bit of collaborative prototyping for me?

I have drawings in progress for an idea I've had for an eye-dropper/cartridge fountain and would require someone who is versed in turning metal such as aluminium & resin to high tolerances, and also have the ability to make good quality threaded parts.

Is there anyone on this here forum, worldwide, who is up for the challenge of creating one of my ideas? It would have to be a metal based turner, as I've tried creating these ideas when I had my lathe but found that either the resin wasn't strong enough (wall thickness) or the tolerances I sought weren't working out for me...

Many thanks for taking the time to read, and I hope there's someone out there up for a challenge. It could be an exciting prospect.

Gordon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gordonfraser

I am CNC machinist and take a look at what you need....

Hi

Wonderful! Can you give me an idea of your capabilities in terms of smallest you can machine, the smallest threads you can do I.e M8x0.75 and anything else that might be crucial to a small parts project. I don't want to waste anyone's time. I've got the info about ready to go but wouldn't mind knowing the limitations.

Many thanks again

Gordon

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

gordonfraser

Would love to see a picture or drawing of what you're thinking about.
Hi Rich These are a few images of the early concept designs. I've since finalised the first design for manufacture. I'm currently going round the various machine shops in the UK to try and find a place willing to work with me on the early proto stages, and who also have the capacity to produce multiples if needed. Made from either SS, Titanium or Alu, bead blasted to form a matte finish. Dia of main barrel is 13mm, length of pen w/out lid is just under 100mm and is designed to be an eye-dropper, cartridge or swap out to a rollerball, depending on your preference. It's the start of a long road but I've been down it before and hope that my previous (many failed) experiences will stand me on good ground to see it through. :laugh:
concept1.jpg
concept2.jpg
Gordon

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I like this Gordon. Don't have the time for the task right now with moving myself. But, I would love to try this out some day.

t001xa22

Gordon, I am piping in purely as an observer here, but I have to say: good luck on your plans for production. These pens really look great.

Rich L

Would love to see a picture or drawing of what you're thinking about.
Hi Rich These are a few images of the early concept designs. I've since finalised the first design for manufacture. I'm currently going round the various machine shops in the UK to try and find a place willing to work with me on the early proto stages, and who also have the capacity to produce multiples if needed. Made from either SS, Titanium or Alu, bead blasted to form a matte finish. Dia of main barrel is 13mm, length of pen w/out lid is just under 100mm and is designed to be an eye-dropper, cartridge or swap out to a rollerball, depending on your preference. It's the start of a long road but I've been down it before and hope that my previous (many failed) experiences will stand me on good ground to see it through. :laugh:
concept1.jpg
concept2.jpg
Gordon

Well, two people liked your images but I don't see any. The pictures in your photo album are a year old and they don't look like concept pens. What am I missing here? Lookin', lookin', ... nuthin :mad:

Rich

gordonfraser

Hi rich sorry about that.

Head to frasermade.tumblr.com for all the concepts.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Gordon

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Rich L

Cheers
Gordon

Yes, I like stumpies. I particularly like the clear demo because it has less of a step between the section and the barrel.

You have nice simple and elegant designs.

I was just in Northampton a week ago - too bad I didn't make it up further north. A lot further north!

Cheers,
Rich

gordonfraser

Cheers
Gordon

Yes, I like stumpies. I particularly like the clear demo because it has less of a step between the section and the barrel.

You have nice simple and elegant designs.

I was just in Northampton a week ago - too bad I didn't make it up further north. A lot further north!

Cheers,
Rich

Hi Rich

Thanks for your lovely comment,

I use the clear demo every day and I love it. Perfect proportions I think - 13mm barrel, 108mm long. It's certainly the main instigator behind me investigating this new project. I've got myself pretty much there with the design now, just need to get a few kinks ironed out. :)

Scotland is simultaneously beautiful and hideous this time of year, depending on what side of weather you get! At the minute it's hideous, just in case you were wondering! hehe.

Oh how the weeks roll in.

All the best for now

Gordon

p.s. one of the things I didn't even contemplate was how Aluminium is a reactive metal, and not suitable for eye-droppers apparently. Good time to catch that one! 316 all the way!

Top Bottom