ER 32 collet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

termitedave

I was wanting to know how you all use your er 32 collets when useing a metal lathe.I have a mt 3 in the head stock.Would it be better for a mt 3 collet chuck or a straight shaft to use with a chuck to hold it.Thank you for your time David.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

I tried my ER25 collets in my lathe. It worked OK for holding smaller lengths, but the collet holder doesn't have a thru hole. I use it full time on my mini mill. A lathe chuck works better with longer pieces.

I think the Beall collet system has a thru hole.

I wish I could use 5C collets in my lathe.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you can get a collet chuck that screws on to the spindle it would be better than one than is a MT mount. The MT mount style limits the length of the work you can put in it. Its not a lot and really limits the work you can do. The collet chucks you thread on let you feed the work into the spindle. A much much better solution.

randyrls

I was wanting to know how you all use your er 32 collets when useing a metal lathe.I have a mt 3 in the head stock.Would it be better for a mt 3 collet chuck or a straight shaft to use with a chuck to hold it.Thank you for your time David.

Dave and All; Awhile back I did a tutorial on Collet Chuck Usage.

This shows the different kinds of chucks, and the collets that are used with them.

One point I'd like to add. Metal lathes normally have a large thru hole because stock is passed thru the head stock and clamped by whatever chuck is used. Wood lathes normally do not have a large thru hole because the only thing likely to be passed thru the headstock is a vacuum fitting.

termitedave

Thank You the replies. I am wanting to use them on my metal lathe I know I can make an adaptor for my collet chuch I have to hold it with the chuck. I seen a chuck on the little machine shop that attaches to the back plate. But it was a little pricey for me. I'm sure it's worth though.Just wanted to see how you all use your collets when useing the metal lathe. Thank You all Again.David Seaba!And Thank you for the link on the tutorial Randy.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
At one point I posted a thread that showed the ER32 collet chuck I made for my lathe. I also included a link to the website with the directions on how to do it. If that is an option for you.

Top Bottom