Emco Unitmat SL - threaded head stock parts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FlowolF

Hi folks - anyone know of any faceplates, drive/spur centres and/or pen mandrels that come with an M12x1 threading as per my Unimat headstock fitting? - For small wood projects I'd like to get those scroll chuck flying jaws out of the equation, and gain a little room in length too it being such a small lathe.

Have checked Chronos and RDG tools and googled loads to no avail so far, but I could have easily missed something.

Any help gratefully recieved.

Cheers, and be well folks.

FlowolF/Shaun

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Ebay is your freind. A quick check on ebay shows 327 listings for parts. 1 12mm spur drive,

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
OF course with an m12 tap you could make some of what you need. like an adjustable mandrel. Do you know the morse taper of the spindle is it has one?

Last edited:

FlowolF

OF course with an m12 tap you could make some of what you need. like an adjustable mandrel. Do you know the morse taper of the spindle is it has one?

No MT on these - straight M12x1 solid drive spindle no through-hole (some models use M14 not this one).

If I got a tap, I'd be concerned about tapping true to centre - I'm not really a precision worker (to say the least) when it comes to engineering metal parts.

Of course I'll still get a tap because ya never stop learning, apparently.

Cheers bud,

Shaun.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You drill the hole and then tap the hole and then cut the piece once its mounted on the spindle, that way its true to your spindle. I made my own er32 collet chuck that way. Most of us use a tap guide for just that reason. Its not perfect but it will get you close. They dont make parts for that model any more that I know of. So keep an eye on ebay I saw they had a tool rest for turning tools for that lathe but it was 55.00 I believe.

FlowolF

You drill the hole and then tap the hole and then cut the piece once its mounted on the spindle, that way its true to your spindle. I made my own er32 collet chuck that way. Most of us use a tap guide for just that reason. Its not perfect but it will get you close. They dont make parts for that model any more that I know of. So keep an eye on ebay I saw they had a tool rest for turning tools for that lathe but it was 55.00 I believe.

no, I don't believe Elliot/Emco do make parts for that one anymore, they do seem to be making a few little desktop CNC machines these days though.

I have found plenty of parts for these being sold/auctioned, such as the milling, thread indexing (whatever it's called) or tool grinding attachments etc. even whole lathes, but prices vary wildly from what I've seen and yeah I'm broke.

As far as what you're telling me about thread cutting on the lathe - I've the knowledge of the routine already, just never done it in practice, which of course is a whole nuther world. In fact I've done less metal lathe work than I had wood turning when I got this lathe, and it seems metal ifn't very forgiving of my 'style' ( read 'lack of finesse' and 'down right clumsiness'at times). I've much respect for you guys that make their own fine tools and parts.

I've tried getting my FIL (retired toolmaker/engineer) to teach me a few tricks on his lathe, but he just asks me what I want, and then makes it for me. Thing is I love to do as much myself as I can, his time's precious and sparse (busier now than before he retired) - I hate to 'task' him, and at the same time it could take him a year too as he's rightly so, not on my time table but his own.

Guess there's nothing like diving in and getting your feet wet so I'll have to give it a go - seems I'm trying to learn to do a few too many things well at the moment, and if I'm not careful I'll end up good at none of it.

',;~}~

Thanks again.

FlowolF/Shaun.

Top Bottom