Easy Tailstock DRO

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

OK here's the deal, we've all tried putting a set of calipers on our tailstocks and have run into the same problem, HARDENED STEEL, impossible for the home shop guy to work with.

Take a look at this...

It's a marking gage and the fence part is not hardened! Not only that but it doesn't have all the little "pokey bits" that you need to grind off.

All you have to make is this simple bracket, it has a magnet in it that sticks to the little round marking doohickey. I drilled two holes for mounting and put a radius on the fence that matched the barrel of my tailstock.

The whole thing cost about $30 and was easy to do. I believe it would also work on your wood lathe.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

I've been thinking more about this, and come to the conclusion that (for me) the hardest part will be figuring out how to attach the fence to lathe.

I'm not sure I'd be left with a functional tailstock if I tried drilling and tapping the one on my lathe. I might do less damage with some double-sided sticky tape -- then again, I can be very inventive when it comes to ways to screw things up.

magpens

Hey ! . That's a cool idea for drilling holes of a precise depth.

I third the motion !!!

Last edited:

needastick

Tail thingy

Really good idea this and you've made a great job of the machine work. I'm inspired, look out for a copy coming soon.

Top Bottom