DRO Installation on LMS Hi-Torque 8.5 X 20" Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Hmmm.. Not sure quite how to start this... let me see. I got this lathe..yep.. from Chris Wood at LMS. It's a 8.5 X 20...I decided to install a DRO that I had purchased from DROPROS. Well, my installation didn't start out as planned. But the end, I had the DRO's installed with the extra features of seven very inaccurately placed, carefully drilled, meticulously tapped holes with smooth clean threads each filled with a very nice black socket head screw. At some point.... I thought it might be a good idea to get help as I was starting to like the satisfying feeling of drilling, tapping and screwing in bolts for the heck of it. So...before I turned my lathe into a pin cushion, I got help from a very talented engineer, Shawn AKA The Penguin. He came over and got me started on the right track, placed and adjusted the carriage scale...and gave me enough confidence to finish the installation. Thanks so much Shawn! I got tips along the way from Chris Wood at LMS and Todd at DROPROS. I put a few pictures here and the rest in my members photo album if you want to take a look. I had to modify several of the brackets and the scale covers using a mini mill. Doc:)

Attachments

• LMS Lathe DRO 8.jpg
    LMS Lathe DRO 8.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 2,029
  • LMS Lathe DRO 2.jpg
    LMS Lathe DRO 2.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 783
  • LMS Lathe DRO 3.jpg
    LMS Lathe DRO 3.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 727
  • LMS Lathe DRO 6.jpg
    LMS Lathe DRO 6.jpg
    369.7 KB · Views: 2,186
  • LMS Lathe DRO 9.jpg
    LMS Lathe DRO 9.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 603
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Thought I would add the few extra pictures here of the installation and two rods that I turned round on the lathe :)

P.S. If somebody told me that I could have installed anything like this DRO last year...I would have died laughing... but with some help...I did it!!

Attachments

• LMS Lathe DRO 1.jpg
    LMS Lathe DRO 1.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 519
  • LMS Lathe DRO 5.jpg
    LMS Lathe DRO 5.jpg
    388.3 KB · Views: 756
  • LMS Lathe DRO 7.jpg
    LMS Lathe DRO 7.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 464
  • LMS Lathe Turned Green and Gold Mosaic Rod.jpg
    LMS Lathe Turned Green and Gold Mosaic Rod.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 497
  • LMS Lathe Turned Solid Red Rod 1.jpg
    LMS Lathe Turned Solid Red Rod 1.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:

The Penguin

alright! I hadn't heard anything from you since the last time I was over, so I was beginning to wonder if everything was OK.

looks like you did a fine job finishing up the installation.

now...when I can I borrow it?

:biggrin:

bluwolf

Very nice job Doc! You should be proud of that. Now you have to do the same to the mill:biggrin:

Come to think of it, you've never posted any pix of the mill all set up...

Mike

Last edited:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice job Doc! You should be proud of that. Now you have to do the same to the mill:biggrin:

Come to think of it, you've never posted any pix of the mill all set up...

Mike
I don't recall any mention of a mill from Doc either. Maybe I missed it. :biggrin:

wizard

Well I installed a power feed which is great!, a rotary table with index and tailstock for barrels of some metal pens I've thought of making, an air spring conversion kit which gives me extra height.
In process now of installing spindle braking system and a 3 Axis Digital Read Out EL400 with magnetic scales from DROPRO's.

Oops, almost forgot to answer. Yep..Did unpack :biggrin::tongue:

Doc:)

Attachments

• LMS HiTorque Mill.jpg
    LMS HiTorque Mill.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 1,029
  • LMS HiTorque Mini Mill 1.jpg
    LMS HiTorque Mini Mill 1.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 1,036
  • LMS HiTorque Mini Mill 2.jpg
    LMS HiTorque Mini Mill 2.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 1,053
  • LMS HiTorque MiniMill 3.jpg
    LMS HiTorque MiniMill 3.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 738
  • LMS HiTorque Mini Mill 4.jpg
    LMS HiTorque Mini Mill 4.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 2,667

bluwolf

Doc, I see the 7x lathe in the background. It looks a little lonely. Any plans for it? Will that become your son's lathe? You should steal the tailstock DRO off of it for the new lathe.

Mike

wizard

alright! I hadn't heard anything from you since the last time I was over, so I was beginning to wonder if everything was OK.
looks like you did a fine job finishing up the installation.
now...when I can I borrow it?
:biggrin:

Shawn, Thanks so much!! I cannot thank you and Mike enough for coming over to get my lathe on the the table and running as well the getting the mill set up. As much as you have done for me, I didn't want to bother you. But my wife walked out to the shop of course at the perfect moment when I just putting multiple holes in the lathe and not attaching anything. She looked at me and quietly said....I think it's time you might need to call Shawn and walked off..:rolleyes:. Needless to say, I am very glad I contacted you. After you showed me what I needed to do, got my carriage scale up and gave me the idea of the cross-slide setup...It was great!! Again, Many thanks. AND YOU CAN COME OVER AND BORROW IT ANYTIME!! I've got more "stuff" for you too...and I'm off next three Sundays. Regards, Doc :)

Looks great Doc!

Randy, Thanks so much !! Say Hi to your wife and tell that extremely talented son of yours to come visit us for the weekend !! Regards, Doc:)

That is one impressive DRO Doc. You guys did a nice job installing it too. Thanks for the photos.

Chuck, Thank you !! Regards, :)Doc

Nice, clean install...I like it!

Thanks Rick!!!. Regards, Doc:)

Very nice job Doc! You should be proud of that. Now you have to do the same to the mill:biggrin: Come to think of it, you've never posted any pix of the mill all set up...

Mike

Mike, Thanks so much! Miss talking to you!! Mill?? Wassup man...I don't remember no stinkin' mill :biggrin:.

wizard

Very nice!

CNC next?

Fred, Thank You!!! CNC..I would LOVE to get one...BUT..I think my better half will ensure that my lifespan would be measured in seconds rather than years. Please send blanks...no flowers please. I'm taking my lathe with me..

Doc, I see the 7x lathe in the background. It looks a little lonely. Any plans for it? Will that become your son's lathe? You should steal the tailstock DRO off of it for the new lathe.

Mike

Mike, LOL...My son didn't miss much...he came up to the work to use my office to study....but not before stopping me between patients to show me your post and with a grin on his face proceeded to say "see even your friends think I should have a lathe of my own and your friend Mr. Bluwolf thinks I should have the other one also" :redface:

Tailstock...hmmm. :biggrin:. Thank you..Great idea... I think I'll do that now!..Regards, Doc:)

Doc, you're getting to the place I would love to be. :biggrin: Thanks for the photos!

LOL..Chuck...Equipment is nice... But...It's going to be a long time before I can get to the place where you are as a penmaker! Regards, Doc:)

Spiderman

My my, that stuff looks absolutely beautiful!

Being a relative newbie to the the pen making game, I have a question. With all those lovely toys and a handle like "Wizard" do you just throw blanks at the machines and in the morning there are beautiful, finished pens laying on the work bench? :biggrin:

Mike

BigShed

Fred, Thank You!!! CNC..I would LOVE to get one...BUT..I think my better half will ensure that my lifespan would be measured in seconds rather than years. Please send blanks...no flowers please. I'm taking my lathe with me..

I meant, are you going to convert this X2 to CNC down the track.

There are a few kits on the market to do that.

http://www.cncfusion.com/minimill1.html

You have a very nicely setup workshop:good:

Last edited:
Top Bottom