DON'T sell your wood lathe!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
George made a good point in another thread. Just because you have purchased or, are planning on purchasing a metal lathe, don't be too anxious to part with your wood lathe. You will still have opportunities to do other things with it. After I turn a blank on the metal lathe and, part it off, I can put it on a mandrel, sand and finish it on the wood lathe. You may still want to make a kit pen sometimes with the wood lathe. FWIW:wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioso

There are many operations that I find are easier and faster on a wood lathe.
Rounding a square blank, for example, is a major pain on a metal lathe. in a way I fell much more like a craftsman/artist when holding a gauge that when turning wheels.
Not that metal lathe doesn't tale skills, just that a gauge is much more personal.

Texatdurango

There are many operations that I find are easier and faster on a wood lathe.
Rounding a square blank, for example, is a major pain on a metal lathe. in a way I fell much more like a craftsman/artist when holding a gauge that when turning wheels.
Not that metal lathe doesn't tale skills, just that a gauge is much more personal.

I don't understand that at all, I guess it's just a matter of what you are comfortable with! Personally I round a blank the exact same way on the metal lathe as I do on the wood lathe using the same tools!

In the headstock I use a Sorby steb center and a dead center in the tailstock. Where I see an advantage with the metal lathe is that I can take off as little as .001" in a pass if I choose to, thus greatly reducing the chances of a tearout. On my wood lathe I always run the chance of letting the tool catch the blank and creating one of those "Oops moments" :eek:

I made a couple of those skogger type tools that use the indexable carbide cutting tips and use them when turning a blank on the wood lathe. I also made a tool holder to hold the same tip when I turn a blank on the metal lathe.

There is no way I would part with my wood lathes........... I've got WAY too much money wrapped up in accessories! :biggrin:

Justturnin

I think, but am not sure, that this started w/ my comments. I have not nor will I ever intend to part w/ my wood lathe unless it is due to a much needed upgrade. I may however look into a possible small Metal lathe and have been thinking about it for some time. Pens are a small part of what comes off that lathe. I turn bowls and and practicing on HF's as I just picked up a sweet Hollowing rig from here, ornaments, toys and more. I enjoy working on my lathe.

bitshird

I'm not planning on selling any of our three wood lathes, I may buy a big boat and use the Shop Fox W1758 as an Anchor. But I agree with George, I can turn a blank round, drill it and square it on my metal lathe, No pen vise no off center holes, hard to beat, then I usually turn it on my little 10x14 Steel City wood lathe, between centers on bushings I made on my Jet Metal lathe. Which sucks for turning Bowls!!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom