Do I buy a metal lathe for kitless pens - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Metal Lathes
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Taps and dies work exactly the same way each time, no worries about setting the lathe up perfectly each time. Taps and dies are much easier to carry and store, AND at lest $1000 cheaper than a metal lathe with all of the extra tooling.

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-23-2017, 11:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I did my first kitless pen on the wood lathe. I have done the rest on my metal lathe.

Your headstock and tailstock will have to aligned very well to do kitless. None of the three wood lathes I have are aligned well, and none of them have an adjustable tailstock. I don't know what lathe you have. The Nova 1624 and the DVR have adjustable tailstock. I'm looking to buy one this winter for that exact reason.

Of course, I want a second smaller metal lathe for the basement in the winter. You won't regret getting a metal lathe. I guarantee it.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

I enjoy the "puzzle" aspect and free form nature of making kitless pens on a wood lathe, that being said many of the tooling and techniques am using are more machinest in nature , and eventually may switch over or benefit from having both depending on nature of project, that being said a wood lathe is a lower cost entry to turning and in both scenarios the cost of the lathe is negligible in comparison to the cost of tooling, chucks, etc which is where the real expense kicks in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texasshipagent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

The only advantage I could see for buying a machinist lathe is if you plan to make perfectly smooth cylindrical pens and let the lathe make the pen for you. Or for being lazy/efficient about rounding square blanks. Beyond that, you can do everything else on a wood lathe just as well with a set of manual taps and dies for all the threaded connections.
TheGF3 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I will do the taps and dies and the metal lathe lathe later to make parts for kitless pens.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Jontello is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

I bought a little machine shop 5200 and I have to say that I really enjoy it. I am working on making TBC bushings for all the kits I use and have recently learned how to turn kitless on it, with the help of a member. I enjoy picking up an new skill set.

Mike Marroquin
Psychmike22 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Default Do I buy a metal lathe for kitless pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGF3 View Post
The only advantage I could see for buying a machinist lathe is if you plan to make perfectly smooth cylindrical pens and let the lathe make the pen for you. Or for being lazy/efficient about rounding square blanks. Beyond that, you can do everything else on a wood lathe just as well with a set of manual taps and dies for all the threaded connections.

With some simple modifications the metal lathe can make complex curves as well. I was able to design, make, and install a pattern tracer in an afternoon on my mini metal lathe.

One can also add a tool rest and turn by hand like a wood lathe.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited by More4dan; 07-06-2017 at 11:23 AM.
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-06-2017, 12:23 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by More4dan View Post
Quote:

With some simple modifications the metal lathe can make complex curves as well. I was able to design, make, and install a pattern tracer in an afternoon on my mini metal lathe.

Danny

How do you follow the pattern?
PatrickR is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:

Danny

I'm certainly not dismissing that a metal lathe works for kitless pen turning, just stating in my opinion that it's an unnecessary upfront cost for someone starting out making kitless. A set of taps and dies and a steady hand work perfectly fine on a wood lathe. One can always upgrade later once they see a benefit to doing so, it's a lot harder to recover from expenses that could have been avoided.
TheGF3 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-07-2017, 12:00 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Danny

I'm certainly not dismissing that a metal lathe works for kitless pen turning, just stating in my opinion that it's an unnecessary upfront cost for someone starting out making kitless. A set of taps and dies and a steady hand work perfectly fine on a wood lathe. One can always upgrade later once they see a benefit to doing so, it's a lot harder to recover from expenses that could have been avoided.

Don't even need stead hands, place the tap in a drill chuck and hand tap from the tail stock,for dies, can get inexpensive round die holders ~$15 from a machinest supply and place in drill or collet chuck also in rail stock, and wala flawless tapping , you can also make a die holder from derlin or wood if so desire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texasshipagent is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads