Cutting a taper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Last edited:

KBs Pensnmore

How do you get your live center (which probably has a taper, MT1 or MT2) to fit into the boring head (which has a straight-sided hole) ?

And that begs another question ... can anyone tell me how to bore a tapered hole without a tapered reamer ?[/QUOTE

If you're going to do a lot of it, make one up to suit the bore of the boring head.
Depending on the length/depth of hole, you could use your compound, or make a taper turning attachment, reasonably simple to make.
If I can make one anyone can, there are plans available possibly on the net or I did mine from Model Engineers Workshop a UK base Magazine, can get the issue numbers if you can get the Magazine there?
Kryn

Penultimate

How do you get your live center (which probably has a taper, MT1 or MT2) to fit into the boring head (which has a straight-sided hole) ?

And that begs another question ... can anyone tell me how to bore a tapered hole without a tapered reamer ?

Mal
I'm no expert as I started this thread. But can you use a boring bar and set the compound at the desired angle? I just did it to make a tapered ID mandrel. You have to make sure your boring bar is small enough.

magpens

Thanks for your reply, Mike. . Yes, I suppose that's the way to do it. . I haven't shopped around for small boring bars so don't know what's available.

Penultimate

Mal
This is what I use. It has two flats that fit in my tool holder. It's the smallest I could find. There are smaller but you need a tool holder. I think LMS.com has some.

Top Bottom