Craftsman Atlas 618 Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I would pass it by unless you were paid to take it. It would only be sorta good for small metal turning unless it were in mint condition with extra goodies like 4 jaw chuck, steady rest etc.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Its over priced. It can do a lot but gears can run $150 for the set or $17.00 each to fill in whats missing. I have a later model the 3950, I do a lot of production work on but it is heavily modified. THe tailstock will only drill 1 1/8 with out having to move it up, so its a pain to drill blanks. A qctp will set you back another $100. If you have to replace that home made handle its $40,00
I would pass unless you have experience with the lathes so that you can inspect it properly. If the lead screws or half nuts are worn you can add hundreds of dollars to it to make it right. By that time you could buy a nice 7 x16 and be able to do metric threads easier, have a 2 1/2 in drill depth, etc.

razor524

I appreciate the responses! I do not have experience with metal lathes so I am trying to figure this out. It will just be another toy for me to learn to play with and I can use any assistance! I will pass and look into a new one perhaps. I learned very fast what type of wood lathe I wanted and will research this type of lathe some more. Thanks again!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
There is a metal lathe forum that has a couple of threads on lathe recommendations.
I have had several of the bench top lathes in my life time and almost all of them can do what needs to be done, just not easily. The 7 x lathes are generally the best bet, I recommend the 14 or 16 inch varieties for more versatility. Variable speed is a big plus. Used lathes can be like used cars, a great deal or just the beginning of a nightmare if you dont know what to look for.

Top Bottom