Compound cross slide

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
A friend of mine is wondering if it is possible to mount a cross slide on a wood lathe to cut a taper on a 1/4 17-4 stainless rod. It doesn't need to be precise just a point. Presently he is using a grinder and a drill and takes about 3 min to do it. Also would a Beal collet chuck hold it tight enough? any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

yes and no......

that vague enough for ya.:wink:

I have a cross slide that I bought for exactly this purpose in my shop. But the critter is over 7 inches tall before putting the tool holder on it. I have a 16 inch lathe, so I'm working on mounting it but it isn't easy. I have my plan but have had a chance to execute it.

thetalbott4

Havent done it, but i know if he can find a way to mount it and the hieght works out to line up with the centerline of the lathe shaft, the lathe should be able to handle it. If its not a critical taper, 3 minutes isnt bad for a drill and grinder. Might not gain much time. Better taper though.

palmermethod

A friend of mine is wondering if it is possible to mount a cross slide on a wood lathe to cut a taper on a 1/4 17-4 stainless rod. It doesn't need to be precise just a point. Presently he is using a grinder and a drill and takes about 3 min to do it. Also would a Beal collet chuck hold it tight enough? any ideas?

Went through the exact same thought process and decided it was an upohill battle to convert a wood lathe into a metal lathe. That is why I bought a Sherline.

And cutting metal on a wood lathe is hard. Collets for metalwork usually have a drawbar feature where the material can be tightly clamped. A wood collet won't work.
:) PM

Gin N' Tonic

Yes it is possible and I have done it.

BUT............

You are going to put a whole lot of stress on the bearings of the lathe and wear them out much faster (DAMHIKT) You didn't mention what state the 17-4 would be in?? Condition A (Softest) or is it hardened? H900, H1150 Etc. I won't cut anything harder than aluminum on my wood lathes because in my opinion it's just not worth the hassle.

Top Bottom