Collets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

azamiryou

Okay, I want to be able to use collets on my new mini-lathe. As I see it, my options are:

1 - buy collets that fit the MT3 taper directly
2 - buy a collet chuck that fits the MT3 taper, and collets that fit the chuck
3 - buy/make an adapter so I can attach the collet chuck I already have to the headstock of the mini-lathe.

Any of these options likely to provide better or worse results? Any options I'm missing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

It looks like the set you have has an internal thread of 1-1/4"-8tpi. What is the thread on your new lathe? Odds are you can get an adaptor for it.

AK

Rich L

The 5C collets only have a clamping range limited to a few thousanths of an inch, typically +/- .005"

Yep - ER's are much more flexible especially if your stock size varies a bit around its nominal size. With 5C you will invest a lot more in collets and probably not gain much. A MT chuck will keep your collet chuck much closer to your spindle head. The Shars folks also have an ER40 MT3 chuck ( shars.com - MT3 ER40 ER Collet Holder ) (I'm not a rep for Shars - Google is!) which will give you the same outside range as 5C.

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
. It came with a 3-jaw chuck that bolts to it.

Matthew

I have collets and know that they can be the most accurate method of holding properly round material, but a properly cleaned and tuned 3 jaw self centering chuck should be good enough for all but the very best of metal lathes.

The novelty of having to remove the collet chuck to use other chucks soon wears thin on your patience.
I now only use my collets on my rose engine lathe

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
and Skip got it for his 14th. birthday!!! :biggrin: Skip, I know you can't tell it:confused::), but me being the jokester type, I hope you can learn to appreciate me as much as I have learned to appreciate your posts. Just ordered my 9x20 Enco today. I have an OLD SB school lathe I bought a few years back to make model airplane mufflers. NOW, how stupid was that:redface:. I'm hoping for this to be a better experience. Thanks again for your IAP guidance

I now only use my collets on my rose engine lathe

What, whose, how old - rose engine?

Rich

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Okay, I want to be able to use collets on my new mini-lathe. As I see it, my options are:

1 - buy collets that fit the MT3 taper directly
2 - buy a collet chuck that fits the MT3 taper, and collets that fit the chuck
3 - buy/make an adapter so I can attach the collet chuck I already have to the headstock of the mini-lathe.

Any of these options likely to provide better or worse results? Any options I'm missing?

Well, you already have some ER-32 collets so I would say buy a mt-3 ER-32 collet holder (available everywhere). That way you can simply insert the new chuck in the headstock and snap in the collets that you already have then purchase more ER-32 collets as you find the need for a wider range of clamping sizes. ER-32 collets are very common.

I would however, make sure the collet holder you get is threaded in the end and that you can run an all-thread through your headstock to act as a draw bar. 90% of the time I use my collet chuck the tailstock is not engaged and the last thing I want is the collet chuck wobbling loose and falling out while I'm turning.

The downside is that you will be limited to the length of stock you can slip inside the chuck. I have two of these and both allow less than 2" of material inside the chuck.

Something to think about!

Last edited:

ashur

The 5C collets only have a clamping range limited to a few thousanths of an inch, typically +/- .005"

But with the 5C you can get square and other shaped collets. I don't have my 5C set any longer, I got rid of it. But now I'm sorry I did! You can also easily find used and surplus 5C collets. A complete set (with square) in SAE sold for $50 on Graigslist last week in my area.

Al

Top Bottom