Collet Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am trying to find a good collet set and need a little help. In my search I have come acrossed #5, #8, #25, #32, etc. When I had my old lathe I had a set of ER 32's. I have found a very nice set of MT 3 tapered collets (I think they were #8's) and wanted to ask if there are advantages to one over the other. With the 32's it seems like changing the collets would be easier, but I don't change collets out that often.

I would really like to find a face mount ER 32 collet chuck, but it seems these are extremely expensive or hard to find.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I would really like to find a face mount ER 32 collet chuck, but it seems these are extremely expensive or hard to find.

The MT collet chucks have a very limited range of clamping, typicall a few thousandths of an inch. ER32 series collets have a clamping range of -1/16 inch (~1mm).

ER series collet chucks are common in UK but not in the US.

You can find ER32 collet chucks at amtools.com
ER32 Milling Collet Chuck Fixture

You will need a matching back plate to fit your lathe spindle nose. You may also need a metal lathe or access to one so you can mount and center the chuck on the backplate.
WWW.AMTOOLS.COM - Lathe Chuck & Backplates

The backplate and chuck need to be matched to minimize run out.

The MT collet chucks have a very limited range of clamping, typicall a few thousandths of an inch. ER32 series collets have a clamping range of -1/16 inch (~1mm).

ER series collet chucks are common in UK but not in the US.

You can find ER32 collet chucks at amtools.com
ER32 Milling Collet Chuck Fixture

You will need a matching back plate to fit your lathe spindle nose. You may also need a metal lathe or access to one so you can mount and center the chuck on the backplate.
WWW.AMTOOLS.COM - Lathe Chuck & Backplates

The backplate and chuck need to be matched to minimize run out.

Thanks! The collet will be for my 7 x 16 metal lathe as I should have specified in the first post. It looks like the ER32 is the way to go. The one you posted is exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:

Russianwolf

All things being equal I'd go after the 16c or 3j collets as they have a wider range of sizes (including some over an inch) and also have square and hex collets. But the big question is the holder that will work with your lathe.

What methods of attachment does your lathe have for a collet chuck?

My preference for mounting would be to the backplate. I have to look a little closer at the options as it just came in about a week ago and is a little different then the one I had before. The ER32 set I had with my old lathe had and 3mt collet holder that I used a drawbar with. This way I didn't have to use a center in the tailstock to keep things secured. The drawbar limited the bore hole so it wasn't ideal, but it worked.

I'll have to research the 16c's and 3j's to see what holders are available.

Top Bottom