Chuck problem on siege c2a

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

trapper

I have a siege c2a lathe and had a minor, but potentially dangerous, event today . Whilst drilling a piece of copper a vibration set in and one of the chuck jaws dropped out of the chuck. This caused the workpiece to dislodge but fortunately the drill bit stopped it from flying out, but ruined the drill bit, even though the chuck was at fairly low rpm. This seems a total freak incident to me....... how did the jaw just fall out? any ideas?......... I've replaced the chuck but am very concerned that this may be a problem with the standard chuck

BradG

the Chuck you have on that lathe pulls the jaws in one by one as you turn the key. sounds like you had the chuck open past its limit and the first jaw dropped out. what diameter was the piece you were turning?

PS, good luck drilling copper on a C2a .. been there, done that... binned it.

Last edited:

trapper

Hi Brad thats the confusing bit The piece was 9mm in diameter so small in terms of capacity . The entire chuck is seized in that i cannot open the two remaining jaws
the key moves freely in the jaw slot that came adrift. I iintend to strip the chuck down in the week. At the moment my suspiscion is that the gear may have jumped..... i'm assuming the jaws work against some sort of worm gears.

BradG

its a big spiral which turns as you turn the key, hence why the jaws are numbered. when you are putting them in they engage one by one, and you should be able to watch the end of the spiral go past where youput in the jaw as you turn the key, but there should be no way that it could even come out when only open 10mm... very odd

Top Bottom