Carriage DRO on 7x12

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bocere1

My first DRO addition

I've decided to add DRO's to my mini lathe, it's a 7x12 HF model, so after looking at everyone else's creative solutions I thought I would start with the carriage DRO since the consensus seemed to be that it was the easiest.

Now that I've done it I hope it wasn't the easiest because it WAS easy. So if there is someone on the fence thinking it may be a pain, the carriage DRO, at least for me wasn't.

I lucked out in the fact that I had all the parts I needed laying around the shop.
A piece of INCRA regular T track
2 rectangular nuts for the track (¼ - 20) and 2 capscrews
6 flat washers
2 capscrews m4x.7 (just something small)
Strip brush
and the 12" remote Igage DRO

Now, here's the reason I'm posting this, all this crap went together almost like it was meant to. ALMOST.

I took off the backsplash and the two tapped holes were almost 12" OC like the T track. Had to enlarge the screw holes in the track slightly and use a round file on one to slot it and bolted on the track. It was square and level to the way's.

3 flat washers (for now) on each side set the DRO out to just the right distance that a small scrap piece of bracket that I had (1/32") slide in between the back of the DRO and the saddle.

Used a DRO bracket as a guide to locate the screw holes on back of the 1/32 plate then attached the plate to the back of the DRO reader and slid it all the way to the headstock, moved the carriage all the way to the headstock marked some hole locations for the screws to attach to the saddle, drilled them, then located them on the saddle, drilled and tapped the saddle.

A set of strip brushes will cover the DRO.

On to the tailstock!!

Attachments

• dro.jpg
    dro.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 1,836
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bocere1

Nice job Mark. BTW, please educate me a little. What is the carriage DRO used for?

Carriage DRO? "Carriage" DRO? I never called it a "carriage DRO", why are people always misquoting me? I definitely typed "Z-axis DRO", it must be the lousy spell checker or one of the mods, I would never mislabel a thingy on the lathe like that.:biggrin:
Educate YOU? ME? Chuck I do do believe you are just pricking my balloon, rightly I suppose, anyway, under the pretense of "educating" you I will say I thought it would help on making multiplies of a part and in the short time I've used it, it has. I just note the measurements from a zeroed position onto a paper hanging on the wall, then on the next piece after turning to size and facing, I zero the DRO and repeat. Now, that's my short answer, I'm not qualified for a longer one.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice job Mark. BTW, please educate me a little. What is the carriage DRO used for?

Carriage DRO? "Carriage" DRO? I never called it a "carriage DRO", why are people always misquoting me? I definitely typed "Z-axis DRO", it must be the lousy spell checker or one of the mods, I would never mislabel a thingy on the lathe like that.:biggrin:
Educate YOU? ME? Chuck I do do believe you are just pricking my balloon, rightly I suppose, anyway, under the pretense of "educating" you I will say I thought it would help on making multiplies of a part and in the short time I've used it, it has. I just note the measurements from a zeroed position onto a paper hanging on the wall, then on the next piece after turning to size and facing, I zero the DRO and repeat. Now, that's my short answer, I'm not qualified for a longer one.

Now that I've done it I hope it wasn't the easiest because it WAS easy. So if there is someone on the fence thinking it may be a pain, the carriage DRO, at least for me wasn't.

I stand corrected! Clearly, this says "Z-axis" :biggrin: Although, I thought the Z- axis was the verticle axis. Shows you how much I know. Don't it? :rolleyes: Mark, I wasn't pricking any balloons I truly needed to know what, you used it for. I studied your photo for awhile the, thought, I'll just ask him. Thanks for the reply and, have fun.:wink:

Pen-Archer

Thanks for showing your DRO setup. I just ordered the iGaging DRO and will do the same to my Taig lathe.

Bocere1

This is my public apology to Chuck (dalecamino) who thought he owed me an apology because he might have offended me. No way, no how. I'm posting this here in case it seemed so to someone else reading the posts that he had. Nope, not in the least.
I did think he was getting ready to take me to school for what I had called my little endeavor though, since I used an uncommon term or reference which makes something hard to find in the search function, so I started babbling to head him off.
Incidentally, I don't post much, but if anyone ever wants to prick my balloon have no worries I was born with a self-healing, self-inflating mechanism, so prick away.
On a side note, it goes to show that the written word may be a mighty weapon (typed OR dripped out of the instruments we love make) but even with much verbiage and all those crazy emoticons slapped all over the place, it's still has massive limitations in communication and that's the nuances of face to face, interpersonal communication. Something our twitterfried youth may never understand.
I enjoy all the conversation on here though even without the nuance.
So, again, apologies to Chuck. (though if I ever meet him face to face I'll tell him what I really think:biggrin:)

Bocere1

Mark
Where did you get your collet chuck and what size is it?
Thanks

Mike I got that off ebay 1.5 yr ago ER32 Collet Chuck Fixture A834 | eBay

The one that LMS sales does have a better finish, but is a bit more costly. I did have to return the first one due to a mislocated mounting hole, the seller had already sent the replacement before I got the defective one in the mail.
It was perfect and has worked great.
Also, order a wrench it doesn't come with one. You just need a er32 wrench.
another also, got a 18 pc collet set (metric) for a hundred buck new from a seller that is excellent
good luck

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This is my public apology to Chuck (dalecamino) who thought he owed me an apology because he might have offended me. No way, no how. I'm posting this here in case it seemed so to someone else reading the posts that he had. Nope, not in the least.
I did think he was getting ready to take me to school for what I had called my little endeavor though, since I used an uncommon term or reference which makes something hard to find in the search function, so I started babbling to head him off.
Incidentally, I don't post much, but if anyone ever wants to prick my balloon have no worries I was born with a self-healing, self-inflating mechanism, so prick away.
On a side note, it goes to show that the written word may be a mighty weapon (typed OR dripped out of the instruments we love make) but even with much verbiage and all those crazy emoticons slapped all over the place, it's still has massive limitations in communication and that's the nuances of face to face, interpersonal communication. Something our twitterfried youth may never understand.
I enjoy all the conversation on here though even without the nuance.
So, again, apologies to Chuck. (though if I ever meet him face to face I'll tell him what I really think:biggrin:)
Cheerfully accepted :biggrin: and I agree with your analysis. And, thanks for the warning. I'll know what to expect :biggrin:

Top Bottom