Buy bigger or extend my 7x10?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I have a HF 7x10 currently that already has a quick change post and upgraded gears in the head stock. I was considering saving up for the SEIG 7x14 that LMS has but I'm thinking ultimately it's the same system I already have with a few more bells and whistles.

Curious if buying a bed extension to bring mine out to 16" and adding a few other goodies such as a cam lock on the tail stock might be money better spent.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rockytime

I have a HF 7x10 currently that already has a quick change post and upgraded gears in the head stock. I was considering saving up for the SEIG 7x14 that LMS has but I'm thinking ultimately it's the same system I already have with a few more bells and whistles.

Curious if buying a bed extension to bring mine out to 16" and adding a few other goodies such as a cam lock on the tail stock might be money better spent.

Any thoughts on the matter?

I did not know the mini 7X10 bed could be extended. If that is the case I think that would be a prudent way to go. The extra length will be very convenient and useful. You already have some accessories and I find a cam lock tor the tail stock almost a must have.

ChrisN

The extension kit involves a bit of work in remounting everything, if I remember the documents correctly. You'll have to drill & tap holes for nearly all of the components, so keep that in mind.

Also, there are cam-lock plans available if you like to DIY. That's the first real project I did with my lathe, and I am really glad I did it! I went off of a write-up available on www.GadgetBuilder.com.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Carl, if you're comfy with drilling and tapping 9 holes in the bed, you stand to save many $. I got my lathe from LMS (not a Seig) 7x16 and, enjoyed cleaning it and, putting together. I sold the lathe I had and, put the $ toward the purchase. But, the choice is yours. I would go for the new one.:wink:

Carl Fisher

They sell the tap and drill kit for the upgrade for a bit extra. 9 holes isn't too bad.

The SEIG is a good price, but by the time I factor in shipping the upgrade is much more attractive.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
They sell the tap and drill kit for the upgrade for a bit extra. 9 holes isn't too bad.

The SEIG is a good price, but by the time I factor in shipping the upgrade is much more attractive.
I understand. Just a concern about getting the holes precise. Not at all questioning your ability. Whichever you decide, I wish you the best outcome.

KBs Pensnmore

I HATE work and am no good at trying to get holes in the correct position. When I was working tolerance was about 1 mm or 1/25", but that is way to coarse for a lathe, so I'd spend that bit extra on the new one so I'd know there would be no problems, you might find that the good parts from the 7X10 will fit straight on, before you sell it.
Kryn

Paul in OKC

Ya'll have me thinking. Let's say your interest is going from the 10" to a 16" lathe bed. I wonder if just a 4-6" bed extension would be a feasibility. And one that is a bed add on only with out the lead screw change. You don't necessarily need the added length when just getting a few inches. This would allow you to slide the tail stock back for longer parts, and/or for using a drill chuck and drilling, which is the main thang, is it not? Oh, to have a little extra time........

Ed McDonnell

Ya'll have me thinking. Let's say your interest is going from the 10" to a 16" lathe bed. I wonder if just a 4-6" bed extension would be a feasibility. And one that is a bed add on only with out the lead screw change. You don't necessarily need the added length when just getting a few inches. This would allow you to slide the tail stock back for longer parts, and/or for using a drill chuck and drilling, which is the main thang, is it not? Oh, to have a little extra time........

This seems like it would be a great option for the lathe mfg to offer. As a DIY add on lathes that weren't designed to be extended, it might be tough. The casting on the end of the short bed may need to be cleaned / squared up before you could attach an extension (maybe beyond the capabilities of people with entry level lathes). Drilling holes in the end of the current bed would be tougher than drilling mounting holes on the top of a new bed, but maybe they wouldn't have to be as precise / accurate.

Ed

Carl Fisher

I have hit the limits of my lead screw and wished it was a bit longer, so while a simple bed extension will add tail stock clearance, it won't help with getting more travel from the cross slide.

$169 for the 16" bed and all of the parts and accessories to make it happen vs $599 plus $179 shipping for a 7x14 that only has a few more upgrades overall.

If I add a cam lock and digital speed display to mine, it's essentially the same as the SEIG with an extra 2" and a lot less money. However there is the question of did I drill/tap all of the holes accurately.

Craigslist has been remarkably lacking in benchtop metal lathes around me lately. A very small atlas was about it otherwise it's into big behemoths of engine lathes and the like.

Carl Fisher

Well, the decision was made.

I bought the extension kit, a new cam lock tail stock and a whole bunch of accessories for much less than I would have paid for a new machine...and in the end the only thing I'll be missing is the digital speed readout while gaining 2" more than I would have had from buying a new machine.

finally got my boring bar setup, threading bits, gear change set and a bunch of other goodies I needed no matter which way I went and still came out ahead so we'll see how this goes.

Ed McDonnell

Yeah, I learned about that drill dry part the hard way :frown:. I'm glad I don't make pens out of cast iron!

Which boring bar did you get? I recently got the 3/8" Warner with HSS diamond inserts. Not suited for internal threading, but sure does a nice job boring. I can't believe I went this long without one.

I don't have a speed readout on mine. I missed it at first, but now that I've pretty much figured out what works for each material I don't think I would look at it if I had it.

Have fun with all the new toys.

Ed

Carl Fisher

Just the basic 3/8" shaft set from LMS. 9 bars total across 3 sizes and 3 lengths of each.

I picked up a separate micro threading tool from ebay for internal threads that can go as small as a 1/4" ID hole, but it's 1/4" shaft so I'll have to make an adapter sleeve of some sorts to mount in my boring quick change holder.

And a basic 60-degree steel tool for external.

ironman123

Carl, isn't that "bed extension kit" from LMS really a complete longer bed and leadscrew? Not an extension to add to your lathe bed, right?

I have one of those HF 7x10's I have had for 3-4 years. Just used it for the first time to make some bronze bushings for my 9x20. Not bad for the cost back then.

Good luck on your drilling and tapping.

Carl Fisher

Correct, it's a full bed replacement that bumps you up to a 7x16 solid unit.

I also picked up a new tail stock with a cam lock to solve one of my other huge gripes about this little unit.

Drilling and tapping shouldn't be a big issue. I'll make a drill/tap block to hold everything at the right angle. 9 holes should be straight forward.

frank123

I put a 12 inch bed on my original 7x10 years ago (that was the only extended bed available) and had no difficulty with it, it really isn't that hard to do. If you have the skills and mechanical understanding to be proficient at using your lathe you are probably of a nature that will have no problem with the conversion.

Many other modifications to it since but still using that same bed for now, I'm planning on a 16 inch bed sometime in the near future when I have the right combination of mad money and time to do it available.

If you have the space and can afford one of the larger lathes that would be a better way to go, but if you have limited space available for anything much larger and heavier than a 7x lathe the longer bed would be a good way to go.

Carl Fisher

And here is the end result.

May not look like much, but I gained almost double my usable between centers work area. Happy dance.

Now to get some DRO setup.

Attachments

• 11204429_10205813669561460_134903904898554042_n.jpg
    11204429_10205813669561460_134903904898554042_n.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 199
  • 1610926_10205813669841467_6820511607344548680_n.jpg
    1610926_10205813669841467_6820511607344548680_n.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 207
  • 11205164_10205813670321479_5000936461437375180_n.jpg
    11205164_10205813670321479_5000936461437375180_n.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 216

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Good job Carl! Apparently not that big of a deal. Get to work now.:wink::biggrin:

HaHa! Listen to me. Who hasn't made a kitless pen in over a year

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

Ok, having an extended bed is seriously nice and a must have. I don't know how I ever was able to live with the small 10" bed which really was only about 8" of usable area between centers.

I had to do some futzing with the tail stock alignment to get rid of a taper in the cut, but now that everything appears to be inline, I'm loving working on this big little machine.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
We've said many times in past threads that, 10" is really cramped. But, I guess the lower price is more attractive than the extra 4-6" You know that now and, are on your way. Enjoy!

Carl Fisher

Well, I couldn't pass up the deal on the used 7x10 knowing it was too small. Upgrading the size made it big enough for any pen related operation I can think of.

79spitfire

That finished setup looks sweet. It's making me think I need to start paying closer attention to craigslist...

Top Bottom