Boring Bar Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lorbay

For all you metal lathe folks out there.
What is the smallest boring bar out there and what size hole does it need.

Lin.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've ground my own. They're fairly easy. Mine smallest is about 1/4" and very possible to make smaller but the depth may an issue with flexing. If your only cutting plastic or wood, you can even make them from soft steel rod. The size hole is dictated the the diameter of the bar.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Part of the decision will be how deep do you need/want to bore. I have a 5/16 indexable carbide insert one that will do 3.5 inches with .327 minimum hole. You can find them on ebay.

Texatdurango

Lin, I just ordered what I think will work well for boring out my pen bodies rather than changing drill bits several times.

It is a Grizzly #T10242 and has a 10mm (.393") shank tapered at the end to allow a minimum bore of .230". The maximum depth of cut is .515".

I can't wait to try it out.

lorbay

Lin, I just ordered what I think will work well for boring out my pen bodies rather than changing drill bits several times.

It is a Grizzly #T10242 and has a 10mm (.393") shank tapered at the end to allow a minimum bore of .230". The maximum depth of cut is .515".

I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks George, I will check that out when I go to get my new machine next month.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/9-x-32-Gear-Head-Mill-Drill-with-Stand/G0484
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Lin.

spilperson

I have a very similar mill sitting on a pallet on my garage floor right now! I just bought a HF shop crane to lift it up on the stand, but ran out of shop time this weekend.

Top Bottom